Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:03 AM

494 posts, read 890,393 times

Advertisements

I know darn well I'll get jumped for what I'm going to say here but...

...why are you doing this? You're stressing yourself out and putting out lots of money for a lost cause. Your actions will not prevent people from dumping their pets. I don't think animals should be abused or mistreated, but when it comes down to it, they're just feral cats. There are a lot better causes to stress out over and better places to throw away money than on feral cats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 12:54 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
The money is not being thrown away on the feral cats. The OP is helping the cats. Since you're in San Diego, maybe you'd like to volunteer with the Feral Cat Coalition. Then you'll see how much "money" is "thrown" away. Between donations and volunteers, the feral cats in San Diego are being helped as much as possible.

But I guess you're not a cat lover.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:36 AM

5,012 posts, read 10,692,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
I know darn well I'll get jumped for what I'm going to say here but...

...why are you doing this? You're stressing yourself out and putting out lots of money for a lost cause. Your actions will not prevent people from dumping their pets. I don't think animals should be abused or mistreated, but when it comes down to it, they're just feral cats. There are a lot better causes to stress out over and better places to throw away money than on feral cats.
Much as I appreciate an opposing viewpoint, I disagree with you.

Everyone in this country has a right to spend their money however they please. If you think that there are better places to spend your time and money, then by all means, please do so.

But to post remarks that you know will be inflammatory on a forum in which 100% of the posters advocate the rescue and care of all neglected animals is either completely sadistic or unbelievably masochistic. It also reeks of trolling.

It's one thing to take an opposing viewpoint; it's another thing to tell cat lovers that caring for cats that are "just" ferals is a waste of time. If you think so, then don't care for them. But to encourage others not to care for them is unfathomable. In fact, to tell anyone that their charity is a waste of time b/c it isn't what you choose to spend your energy on is just plain cruel. As many posters have already demonstrated, caring for ferals is clearly not a waste of time or money, especially for them.

Moreover, I think that spending money to save a life is a much better use of one's time and resources than, say, getting a mani/pedi. Just b/c you do not value the life of a feral cat does not mean that you should encourage others to do so as well.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:48 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
There is no particular question or point to this point. Just, I'm doing this alone and no one else seems to care and I'm not much cut out for the taming of the kittens and rehoming thing. Hope "you" don't mind listening.
If you "speak" to anyone on here that does rescue... you'll find that how you're feeling is the norm rather than the exception. The tide can seem just positively overwhelming.

It's important to remember you're only one person and there are only 24 hours in a day. There is a finite amount to what any one individual can do and that's why it's just SO important to focus on what's on your plate. If you try to get your head around the entire "buffet" that's laid out before you it's very easy to get disheartened and discouraged.

The hardest lesson most of us have to learn is that we can't save them all but instead we need to focus on the ones we can save. Even if it's only one, that's a 100% improvement over none.

Remember too that each kitten has an individual personality. Some will tame easily, some much less so. There's no hard and fast rule and all of it depends on the great unknown of who their parents were.

And you're not really alone. Well, you've got plenty of virtual support anyway.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:49 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,127,785 times
It takes time to tame feral kittens. I saved one on April, and it really took a month for her to not be so scary.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:18 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
I'm taming some skittish (though not totally feral) kittens right now. It takes a lot of time and patience. I know what you mean about nobody wanting them. I have five kittens, and the females are probably going to the pound (I don't mind as much if the males run around). The mother cat is getting spayed, but I can't afford to spay/neuter the rest of them.

And TNR is a fine solution sometimes, especially if there are no potential homes for them. Being inside cats in a home is best, but not always likely, or even possible. Sometimes nobody wants the cat. Talk to your vet or the rescue and see what they think. Maybe (if you can) give it a few weeks to see if homes appear for them, but sometimes TNR is all you can do. You've already done so much, and each person can save only so many cats.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:25 PM

This series of videos might help you as well:

YouTube - Tough Love: Socializing Feral Kittens (Part 1 of 3)

Old 06-06-2010, 04:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
I managed to tame two feral kittens. Best cats ever! The world famous Murphy and his faithful side-kick Gunther. It took MONTHS. I'd say a good two months before Murphy would even let me touch him. Another couple of months before I could pet them. Another month or two before they really became pets to the point they were "regular".

It takes incredible amounts of patience. But if you can hang in there it is a success story like none other.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:02 PM

By the way, you said you are supposed to keep them separated. I'm taming five skittish kittens and they and their mother (who is tame) are altogether. It's been two weeks and I've held all five and petted two, so I'm not sure letting the two kittens be together will be disastrous. Still, I'm no expert.

I wouldn't blame if you eventually decide to release them, especially if you cannot find homes for them.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:25 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Last year I rescued a litter of six, and the dumped Mom. She and the family are still with me. Five of them were about four weeks when I took them in but one ran every time. I finally caught her after almost a week alone with mom. She is still frightened of everything. I was gone this weekend and she had run out into the house, so I had to leave her. She would go out out and get food when her brothers were the only ones out, but hid when I was there.

She may never be relaxed, but I want to try the taming method on her. Her brothers are the most affectionate kitties I've ever had. Mom had someone who gave her care and likes to be petted. The other girls, who are so much smaller than their brothers, seem more kitten like still and yet inbetween chasing love to be petted. It's just poor Baby who is all alone. I feel so bad for her.

I suspect the age when kittens are rescued has a lot to do with it. The first five of my little ones were hesitant at first, but warmed up quickly. It was just Baby who was too scared to come close enough. Either her personality, or the being alone, or the slight age difference is still making her hide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats