Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 02:51 PM

112 posts, read 522,201 times

Advertisements

I posted before on how I'm a guy who loves cats...and I suppose my relationship is a little weird because I prefer cats and my wife prefers dogs. Thus, we have 2 cats and a small dog. I'd say her small dog almost counts as a cat though...except for his propensity to pee in the house.

Anyway....so you're a cat person. Great, so am I. What do you prefer about cats to dogs?

For me....not hard.

1) It costs me nothing to board them when I go on vacation. I have to make no plans other than to leave them lots of food and water and make sure they have clean litter boxes. Outside of that, I spend nothing and call nobody. They're like roommates.

2) I don't have to take them out to do their business. The dog is my wife's and I chuckle whenever she has to let him out in the rain because he really has to go. I quit chuckling once he comes back in the house wet. Ugh. The litter box isn't a huge deal to me.

3) Their personalities fit mine very well. I tend to be somewhat aloof some of the time and I don't always want to be bothered. Cats are much the same. I have a cat who is super affectionate, but she isn't all over me all the time like many dogs are. Quite frankly, I don't want a pet that absolutely worships me and depends on me for every shred of entertainment that he/she gets.

4) I've never had a cat that smells. Never. If I let out dog go for a while without a bath, he begins to smell like a sewer.

So that's me. I'm sure yours are much of the same....but let's hear 'em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 03:01 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,563,654 times
Huh! good question....of course all your answers I agree with. I love dogs too, but I've had an attraction to cats since I was a child. I can't explain it...any and all types of cats I adore so deeply and they just melt my heart. I like their personalities, a lot like mine.
I think I was a cat in another lifetime!

Old 06-07-2010, 03:25 PM

I also like that my wife and I can have this conversation:

Wife: "Where's Muffin (our cat)?"

Me: "I don't know...she was downstairs with us earlier. Probably still down there."

And then maybe an hour later Muffin will jump up on the bed and want some petting. We'll oblige. Then she'll go to sleep.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:29 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
I have been a dog person all my life but there are some cats I have met that hold a place in my heart.

If you don't mind me answering the question backwards, very simply, I prefer dogs bc they like to be closer to people in general. And I am ok with the responsibilities of having a dog.

But the cats I mentioned before are dear to me as well. I love them too.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:30 PM

672 posts, read 5,094,266 times
I just find them very beautiful and full of pride. It surely will cost me a lot to board mine when I go on vacation though... 480 $ ! She's well worth it though At least I can leave her alone for a day without neighbours complaining about my pet howling. I used to have a friend with a dog with angst issues.

My cat doesn't quite worship me in the same "pathetic" way a dog does (I do like dogs too though for the record), she more like demands to be played with most of the time coz she knows she's worth it. It's not a "please come play with me, please, please, please!", more like a "Heeeey YOU! Come here NOW this instant!".

I also like that they don't smell and keep themselves clean most of the time.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:47 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,062 times
Definitely a cat person. I advocate for all living things, but I love the quiet and calm nature of cats. Cats are more zen than dogs. And my one and only cat was very much attached to us, very demanding of attention but very proud and regal. My friend always said that he "would love to make a pair of gloves out of my cat". His fur was like velvet. I love cats, I'm just a cat person.

On a side note, I have recently had conversations with random people about cats. And I'm surprised at the number of people out there who flat out hate cats. I say the word "cat" and they get all skeeved out. It makes me sad that more people aren't connected to cats. I think they are very special animals.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Definitely a cat person. I advocate for all living things, but I love the quiet and calm nature of cats. Cats are more zen than dogs. And my one and only cat was very much attached to us, very demanding of attention but very proud and regal. My friend always said that he "would love to make a pair of gloves out of my cat". His fur was like velvet. I love cats, I'm just a cat person.

On a side note, I have recently had conversations with random people about cats. And I'm surprised at the number of people out there who flat out hate cats. I say the word "cat" and they get all skeeved out. It makes me sad that more people aren't connected to cats. I think they are very special animals.
If somebody flat out HATES a type of animal, that's a personal issue. There's something wrong deep down there. I can see not wanting to have a particular pet. But hating?? Not right.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:34 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
I really like other peoples' well-behaved dogs. I just don't have the patience for one on my own, and dogs are frequently much messier than cats.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:27 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Dogs tend to be either too friendly, all over you with tongue and feet, or not friendly enough, trying to take a chunk out of you. Like beachmouse, I like well-behaved dogs too, but they are somewhat unusual. Cats have a certain 'class' that few dogs have.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:39 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,588 times
I've had some very well trained and behaved dogs in my lifetime and they were great family members. But what I remember from dogs is they are a lot of work. They need to go out all the time. They need walked. They need played with. They need to go out at 4 AM on a snowy night. Don't get me wrong, I like dogs but at this stage of my life I'm not ready for one. Growing up I had two really awesome dogs that won all kinds of obedience awards. I'll happily house sit for someone with a dog, but after a week I can return to life with my cats.

Cats seem to strike me as being really unique from personality to how they go about everyday. My grandmother said the most interesting people always have cats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats