Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 08:44 PM

895 posts, read 4,247,602 times

Advertisements

Moving with very cranky unfriendly cat this week. When the movers come to pack up my husband (it's his cat but he's already moved) advises that I put him in the bathroom. So I'm going to put him bathroom to bathroom over the course of the four days of packing and loading. For the flight (cross country), the husband wants me to go to the vet and have him sedated. And then I have to figure out a way to sneak him into the hotel and keep him there for four days until we move into our new house. Doing all this with four kids under the age of 5 who are scared of cat. Am I insane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 08:57 PM

550 posts, read 2,824,853 times
We gave our animals sedatives when driving cross country. Can't you find a hotel where they accept animals? I know we are staying at a hotel on holidays this summer and are bringing our dog. I am sure it is very stressful for your cat not knowing what the heck is going on. Just bear with it and know the cat will calm down once you are settled. Don't give him to a shelter please!

Old 06-17-2007, 09:08 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,261,142 times
Nope not crazy at all. You didn't mention it, however if you're flying you'll need to get a health certificate from your vet within 10 days of flying.

I agree, stay someone where you're allowed to have the cat so you have no regrets.

Have a safe trip!

Old 06-18-2007, 02:55 AM

617 posts, read 2,821,317 times
I think you will be fine. My friend's just moved their two cats from England, to the MidWest. They are fine, and all went well.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:42 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,181,103 times
While not the best option but if you can't find a pet friendly hotel, and you are still concerned about having the cat in the hotel room, you might consider boarding the cat with a vet or kennel for those few days. Why not have your hubby check out vets and the cost if you can't find a hotel.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:03 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,453 times
We're moving next week and have a ten hour drive staring us down with three cats, a rabbit, a gerbil and a goldfish. We have to stay at a pet friendly hotel for one night. I thought it was ironic that they're going to charge me $75 extra for the pets but the kids are free. They obviously have no idea what sort of damage my boys are capable of.

As for the kids being afraid of the cat, why is that?

Old 06-19-2007, 03:12 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,263,482 times
Ummm....be sure the airline will let you sedate the kitty. You can use something like Rescue Remedy, available at Petsmart, which is an herbal. It should be okay to sedate slightly if you're flying the cat in cabin - you DO need the health certificate, ask your vet about just plain Benadryl to take the edge off. Matter of fact, you may need just a pinch to keep kitty calm during this whole ordeal, but I'd try the Rescue Remedy first.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:37 AM

323 posts, read 1,390,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Ummm....be sure the airline will let you sedate the kitty. You can use something like Rescue Remedy, available at Petsmart, which is an herbal. It should be okay to sedate slightly if you're flying the cat in cabin - you DO need the health certificate, ask your vet about just plain Benadryl to take the edge off. Matter of fact, you may need just a pinch to keep kitty calm during this whole ordeal, but I'd try the Rescue Remedy first.
I've read many times to not sedate your pet when flying! That it disturbs their equilibrium and they cannot compensate their balance in flight. This can lead to problems including death. With the right carrier you can fly with your pet in the cabin. With advance notice to the right air-line. The pet has to be able to fit in the carrier under the seat in front of your seat, of course.

Last edited by cazelais; 06-25-2007 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-25-2007, 06:27 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,359,559 times
No you're not insane! We just flew from Germany to the States with our two dogs. It's not that bad. Just go with the flow and when you settle you'll be glad you brought your kitty with you. Leaving him behind would be worse.

Good luck!

Old 06-25-2007, 07:02 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,263,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazelais View Post
I've read many times to not sedate your pet when flying! That it disturbs their equilibrium and they cannot compensate their balance in flight. This can lead to problems including death. With the right carrier you can fly with your pet in the cabin. With advance notice to the right air-line. The pet has to be able to fit in the carrier under the seat in front of your seat, of course.
You don't sedate animals that are flying in the baggage compartment - it can weird them out due to changes in air pressure...Rescue Remedy is an herbal and won't hurt them...but yes, call in advance and reserve space for your kitty as a carry on. I think they only allow so many pets in cabin at a time....and try to get a back row seat so that you're out of the way of people who might be allergic.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats