U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:41 PM

5,918 posts, read 6,360,265 times

Advertisements

Okay.... I loved his show as much as the next guy, but is it me or does it seem every interview he does he seems to come off as very pompous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 01:32 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,748,968 times
I think he just comes off that way. I would say it is probably he is smarter, more analytical than some of the more average people interviewed and sees some stuff like the horrors of reality TV and fame for no reason as annoyances and not as deserving of the glory as those with a talent to earn the praise.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:39 AM

12,480 posts, read 14,382,516 times
tend to agree with sidrah. He comes across as higher than average intelligence and that sometimes makes one look pompous. I think he's got a great sense of humor,a sense of who he is and he seems to have a dislike of those who have celebrity for no good reason. Also he doesn't think non-celebrities should be all enamoured with celebrities.
Read a few articles and a couple of books by various people and anytime they mention Seinfeld it is always good remarks.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:57 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,706,677 times
I think he's pompous. For example, when he was on Watch What Happens Live! following the RHONY, he was complaining to the host, "When is it going to be MY chance to talk?" Sad, kind of, since he seemed so down to Earth on Seinfeld. And to those who said his behavior is excused because he is "smarter" and aggravated with all the dumb people who are getting fame on TV, that's no excuse to be pompous. He has enough money to never work again, if he's so aggravated, he should just quit show business. No excuse for bad manners, imo.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:23 AM

12,480 posts, read 14,382,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
I think he's pompous. For example, when he was on Watch What Happens Live! following the RHONY, he was complaining to the host, "When is it going to be MY chance to talk?" Sad, kind of, since he seemed so down to Earth on Seinfeld. And to those who said his behavior is excused because he is "smarter" and aggravated with all the dumb people who are getting fame on TV, that's no excuse to be pompous. He has enough money to never work again, if he's so aggravated, he should just quit show business. No excuse for bad manners, imo.
I saw him on Watch What Happens and he was freakin hilarious. You take him much too seriously. Apparently you don't get his sense of humor.
Me-I was about to bust a gut from laughing at him.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:52 AM

51,672 posts, read 12,656,506 times
Sorry, but never found Jerry funny and yes, he is pompous.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:24 AM

8,812 posts, read 9,633,206 times
I think its an act too, I saw him on Letterman or Leno once with Martin Lawrence and Martin tried to thank him publicly for letting him sleep in his apartment when he was first breaking into the business, Jerry did the pompous act and wouldn't let martin finish giving him props, Which IMO shows he has a lot of class, he didn't need any credit for helping out a friend.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:19 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,748,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post

That episode was funny! I think he was serious, but joking around, too. It his his act to observe common everyday things and make comments on them. I agree he doesn't need to work, that is probably why it took so long for him to come out again with Marriage Ref and episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I applaud him, also, for his refusal to be crude and vulgar in his acts. He said he wants to be able to perform in front of his parents and wouldn't talk like that in front of his mom.

I htink Andy thought he was funny, too.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:44 AM

13,496 posts, read 13,985,408 times
I was a cocktail waitress in a comedy club in 87 or so, waited on jerry and his date. he was very nice to me and left a great tip!

Old 06-17-2010, 09:22 PM

4,218 posts, read 7,858,088 times
I am on the fence in forming an opinion if he is pompous or not. The way he handled that his wife book's fiasco a few years ago, left me sour-tasting... His much younger wife wrote a book about how to sneak vegetables into kids' food. (pureeing them and sneaking into usual foods. ) (see, the whole idea fits into one sentence, how can one write a book about it? ) Then another lady says she wrote a book about this first (The Sneaky Chef?) and there was an unpleasant public exchange of a stolen idea. (again, how fresh is the idea of mashing veggies and hiding them, that mothers used for centuries? ) Jerry comes out and pours dirt on the Sneaky Chef and embellishes his wife. I expected something more of a higher ground, at least acknowledging that his wife was not the first one to publish a book on this, -- just compare the publishing dates

Then there was an episode of Oprah disclosing to the audience that Jerry and his wife just gifted Oprah 10 or 20 pairs of Louboutin shoes, - after she taped an episode of Jerry's wife talking about her book. Ugh....

So I am thinking now, - do we really know Jerry the human, not Jerry the lovable character living in a fake New York apartment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities