Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 05:35 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Bullock's adoption of black baby stirs debate - CNN.com

It is amazing to me, how people get all disjointed about movie stars adopting black children....

Now they're making a big what to do about Sandra Bullock??????

People?????

It's no body's business....if the adoption agency chose to allow her to adopt this child so what....? She's giving the child a home...and to boot, people are more tied up in gossip & prejudice then they are aware of the fact, of how much money these adoption agencies charge for adopting a child...it's literally a baby selling effort, and if any movie star has the money to adopt a homeless child, better for the child. I don't care what color your skin is, if that person wants a child, is considered a good candidate and fit for the child's well being, then it's no one's business...

I would think in this day and age, people would be more educated to the fact that only movie stars and the very very wealthy can afford to adopt these children....and these adoption agencies, in my opinion are the ones who should be under scrutiny....there are so so many children and babies wanted by couples who cannot afford to pay the kind of money these adoption agencies want...I know two couples who adopted and could afford it only because they have very high paying careers....there are so many people out there that these adoption agencies literally take advantage of, b/c they know how badly couples who cannot conceive a child, want a child, so they charge thru the roof, it is extremely expensive and become a lucrative business for these agencies...

It's a baby selling business...which I believe so firmly that the media should expose. It's to me, criminal, to use homeless babies to make that kind of money.

So, leave Sandra Bullock alone...to me, this definately shows how ignorant people really are, to obsess over something like this....amazing....it's no one's business....who adopts who, people should be glad that movie stars have the resources to help these children....no matter what color they're skin is, and anyone who makes any kind of negative comment should be ashamed...what has our society come to? Her life is her life...her choices and no body's business period.

Yes, it has become a trend among Hollywood stars, however, who else can afford to pay the kind of money these agencies are charging? And at least the child has a home, will be loved, and given clothes, food, health care, an education, instead of rotting in some children's home? And to boot, I'm wondering...does anyone know where these children are staying in the states? I don't see any more children's homes like when I was a child? Who is housing these children? Who is overseeing these agencies...? Does anyone know where these babies are kept until they are adopted? Are they in foster homes?

Sheesh, I wish this country would educate itself, rather then stick they're noses into the privet lives of others...

we're outsourcing EVERYTHING to other countries, b/c it's cheaper...well, you get what you pay for...and it's greed on the part of CEO's and they're board of directors...they're now outsourcing our passport systems...????? Geeze Luise, I bet all the other countries in the world are sitting back and laughing they're you know what's off at us????? And all we can do is make a big what to do about a well to do woman giving a good home to a child??????

This kind of thing, proves to me, the lack of intelligence in this country, and it's freakin me out...

Last edited by cremebrulee; 06-18-2010 at 05:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 06:16 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,376 times
She's make a permanent, life changing decision based upon her trying to make people think she's not a racist like her neo nazi husband is.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:39 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
I cannot imagine any decent person giving a rip about the race of a child whom a third party adopts. I don't care if the child is white, black, brown, yellow, or green with eye stalks. What matters is that the person performing an adoption is taking a child in unfortunate circumstances and giving him or her the greatest gift of love. And that's pretty great in my eyes.

What's more, any hoopla about this has far more to do with people's creepy obsession with celebrities. I mean, seriously. Just because an attractive woman in California can mimic emotions in front of a camera, why does that entitle everybody on the planet to weigh in on who she chooses to adopt? Why do you get to have an opinion on her motivations?

Old 06-18-2010, 06:39 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,546,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
She's make a permanent, life changing decision based upon her trying to make people think she's not a racist like her neo nazi husband is.
She (or rather they) started the baby adopting process four years ago, so your above points don't make much sense.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:40 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Bullock's adoption of black baby stirs debate - CNN.com

It is amazing to me, how people get all disjointed about movie stars adopting black children....

Now they're making a big what to do about Sandra Bullock??????

People?????

It's no body's business....if the adoption agency chose to allow her to adopt this child so what....? She's giving the child a home...and to boot, people are more tied up in gossip & prejudice then they are aware of the fact, of how much money these adoption agencies charge for adopting a child...it's literally a baby selling effort, and if any movie star has the money to adopt a homeless child, better for the child. I don't care what color your skin is, if that person wants a child, is considered a good candidate and fit for the child's well being, then it's no one's business...

I would think in this day and age, people would be more educated to the fact that only movie stars and the very very wealthy can afford to adopt these children....and these adoption agencies, in my opinion are the ones who should be under scrutiny....there are so so many children and babies wanted by couples who cannot afford to pay the kind of money these adoption agencies want...I know two couples who adopted and could afford it only because they have very high paying careers....there are so many people out there that these adoption agencies literally take advantage of, b/c they know how badly couples who cannot conceive a child, want a child, so they charge thru the roof, it is extremely expensive and become a lucrative business for these agencies...

It's a baby selling business...which I believe so firmly that the media should expose. It's to me, criminal, to use homeless babies to make that kind of money.

So, leave Sandra Bullock alone...to me, this definately shows how ignorant people really are, to obsess over something like this....amazing....it's no one's business....who adopts who, people should be glad that movie stars have the resources to help these children....no matter what color they're skin is, and anyone who makes any kind of negative comment should be ashamed...what has our society come to? Her life is her life...her choices and no body's business period.

Yes, it has become a trend among Hollywood stars, however, who else can afford to pay the kind of money these agencies are charging? And at least the child has a home, will be loved, and given clothes, food, health care, an education, instead of rotting in some children's home? And to boot, I'm wondering...does anyone know where these children are staying in the states? I don't see any more children's homes like when I was a child? Who is housing these children? Who is overseeing these agencies...? Does anyone know where these babies are kept until they are adopted? Are they in foster homes?

Sheesh, I wish this country would educate itself, rather then stick they're noses into the privet lives of others...

we're outsourcing EVERYTHING to other countries, b/c it's cheaper...well, you get what you pay for...and it's greed on the part of CEO's and they're board of directors...they're now outsourcing our passport systems...????? Geeze Luise, I bet all the other countries in the world are sitting back and laughing they're you know what's off at us????? And all we can do is make a big what to do about a well to do woman giving a good home to a child??????

This kind of thing, proves to me, the lack of intelligence in this country, and it's freakin me out...

I'm not black, so I don't know exactly how a black person would feel about this...but I have read there are some blacks who cringe when these adoptions happen. Many believe the child loses his black identity when adopted into the home of people of another race. I think they may have a point.

As for Sandra Bullock and other celebs adopting minority babies, I'm sorry, it just seems to me like they do it because it's the trendy thing to do, though in the end I think we should all just be happy a child without a family now has one

Old 06-18-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post

People who actually know the man claim this is not true. He made a real mistake in judgment by posing for that silly picture, but it's not proof of anything.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:47 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I'm not black, so I don't know exactly how a black person would feel about this...but I have read there are some blacks who cringe when these adoptions happen. Many believe the child loses his black identity when adopted into the home of people of another race. I think they may have a point.

As for Sandra Bullock and other celebs adopting minority babies, I'm sorry, it just seems to me like they do it because it's the trendy thing to do.
Well, here's my respectful disagreement on that.

The truth be told, white babies are snapped up almost immediately. Black children are not so fortunate. That means that black families are simply not adopting in the numbers that white families are. That means black children are marooned in the system, and have no place to go.

So when some kneejerk activist starts mouthing off about losing ethnic identity, I really have to wonder at the motivations. After all, if a family adopts a child from Asia or Latin America, nobody ever stands up and demands that the adopting family infuse the child's upbringing with cultural education from their place of birth.

Because rational people understand that the first order of business is to place a child in a healthy, loving home. A child adopted from infancy really has no cultural understanding. To the child his family IS his culture.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, here's my respectful disagreement on that.

The truth be told, white babies are snapped up almost immediately. Black children are not so fortunate. That means that black families are simply not adopting in the numbers that white families are. That means black children are marooned in the system, and have no place to go.

So when some kneejerk activist starts mouthing off about losing ethnic identity, I really have to wonder at the motivations. After all, if a family adopts a child from Asia or Latin America, nobody ever stands up and demands that the adopting family infuse the child's upbringing with cultural education from their place of birth.

Because rational people understand that the first order of business is to place a child in a healthy, loving home. A child adopted from infancy really has no cultural understanding. To the child his family IS his culture.

Actually, I'm not so sure it's a "kneejerk activist" reaction to have this opinion.

Hopefully some of our black posters will chime in here to give us THEIR perspective on this.

I've actually had two black friends, who are in no way "activists" voice the same concerns to me, so I think there is something to it.

In addition, I know of one indian tribe in particular (though I bet this is common in most indian tribes) that WILL NOT allow an indian child to be adopted out to couples unless one of the parents can prove they are at least part indian themselves.

Your comment that "a child adopted from infancy really has no cultural understanding" IS their point They do not want their culture to be lost.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:55 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

As for Sandra Bullock and other celebs adopting minority babies, I'm sorry, it just seems to me like they do it because it's the trendy thing to do, though in the end I think we should all just be happy a child without a family now has one
So the kiddo grows up away from basketball, rap and crime, and that's a tragedy

Barack Obama is a prime example of not growing up in black identity. See what he has made himself into

Old 06-18-2010, 06:57 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
I do suspect some of them are doing it for the image it gives them and yes, that bothers me. It's a child, not a lapdog. But I can't know which celebrities are genuine and which aren't so I don't really dwell on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities