U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 01:00 PM

15,241 posts, read 23,837,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
Thank you... freedom of speech is just that. The freedom to say what you want, whether it's nice or not. Sorry, but that's the way it is. Not that I'm sorry it's that way, but sorry that freedom of speech doesn't mean not freedom of getting your feelings hurt.

Not that I like the guy, but I'm gonna say this is all a little too convenient for her. And there's no woman in the world that would stay so calm during "discussions" like the kind on these tapes. There's no woman who wouldn't just hang up. Unless of course she's setting someone up.

Does what he says make me sick, yep. Does her encouraging and setting him up make me sick, yep. Nice way to air your dirty laundry in public. And it cracks me up that some people still wanna become famous! LOL Wow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 01:01 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,407,505 times
Quote:
Thank you... freedom of speech is just that. The freedom to say what you want, whether it's nice or not. Sorry, but that's the way it is. Not that I'm sorry it's that way, but sorry that freedom of speech doesn't mean not freedom of getting your feelings hurt.

Not that I like the guy, but I'm gonna say this is all a little too convenient for her. And there's no woman in the world that would stay so calm during "discussions" like the kind on these tapes. There's no woman who wouldn't just hang up. Unless of course she's setting someone up.

Does what he says make me sick, yep. Does her encouraging and setting him up make me sick, yep. Nice way to air your dirty laundry in public. And it cracks me up that some people still wanna become famous! LOL Wow!
I heard Jim Morey(sp) the atty news commentator on CNN last night say much the same thing. The woman(whatever her name is) certainly remained quite calm............very interesting. He also said in Californina it is illegal to tape someone without their knowledge. He felt,as do I, that something is weird here. The entire thing was just off,weird................

Whoopi Goldberg defends Mel consistently. Said he is NOT a racist. Has been a friend to her and been to her home many times and the Mel being portrayed is not the Mel she knows.

As for me--don't shoot the messenger........

Old 07-13-2010, 01:02 PM

15,241 posts, read 23,837,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
freedom of speech does not mean freedom from criticism for what you say.

yes, he has every right to say what he said but the media has the right to report on what he said, people have the right to judge his character based on what he said, his agent has the right to decide that they don't want to work with him, people have the right to decide not to support his work, etc etc.

and it's a little scary how lightly some people on this forum take verbal abuse. there is a huge difference between hearing these kinds of insults from a stranger, friend or acquaintance and hearing them from someone you are or were in a relationship with. comparing this to schoolyard insults misses the point entirely.

NO, The media doesn't have the right to report it. If the media did not report this, no one would know what he said, and it would not have gotten to the point it is at today.

besides, any person with half a brain, would not give a rats arse WTF Mel Gibson has to say.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:11 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,413,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
I heard Jim Morey(sp) the atty news commentator on CNN last night say much the same thing. The woman(whatever her name is) certainly remained quite calm............very interesting. He also said in Californina it is illegal to tape someone without their knowledge. He felt,as do I, that something is weird here. The entire thing was just off,weird................

Whoopi Goldberg defends Mel consistently. Said he is NOT a racist. Has been a friend to her and been to her home many times and the Mel being portrayed is not the Mel she knows.

As for me--don't shoot the messenger........
I don't actually think he is a 'racist'--not because Whoopi told me anything.
The things that Whoopi has said--the things that ?80%? of the population has said/may say--insanity.

If the 'Truth' can ever be found--it is going to be that Mel 'made a mistake' in choosing this woman and is furious at being manipulated. Sorry to say--but that does go on. So he spouts off against 'the world'.

It would be interesting to compare how this might have gone had it happened a few years back or if it happened in a state with different laws. Just as much a drain on the taxpayers--but I don't see an end to all of this.
Well--I see an end to 'Rights' and Freedom but that's not much comfort.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:15 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,407,505 times
Since it is clearly against the law in California to tape someone w/out their knowledge then I am not quite sure why the media is even allowed to circulate the tapes.
Also I am not quite sure why the tapes were made. Seems very contrived to me
Also I'm unsure as to who released the tapes. The poor innocent() victim who secretly set Mel up,probably created the scene in order to tape him in anger says she didn't release the tapes. Really??
Guess the baby did it.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:23 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,145,884 times
Does the use of a word make you a racist? Or are you just trying to drive a point across to someone because you're angry?

Frankly I don't think Mel Gibson is a racist when he makes movies like The Patriot, Passion of the Christ, Braveheart, The Bounty, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (with sexy Tina Turner), Lethal Weapon (with Danny Glover - best on screen chemistry between a duo ever on film).

No I don't think he's a racist, I think he's an alcoholic with some serious problems. Don't diminish the fact that the man despite all his money is not a happy man, but a very angry bitter alcoholic.

Look into his family background I bet you find he comes from a long line of drunks. He's fallen into that vicious cycle of alcoholism and can't crawl out of the bottle. I feel sorry for him. I'm hoping that the man gets the help he needs because there's an alcoholic in there who needs help.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:41 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,413,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
Since it is clearly against the law in California to tape someone w/out their knowledge then I am not quite sure why the media is even allowed to circulate the tapes.
Also I am not quite sure why the tapes were made. Seems very contrived to me
Also I'm unsure as to who released the tapes. The poor innocent() victim who secretly set Mel up,probably created the scene in order to tape him in anger says she didn't release the tapes. Really??
Guess the baby did it.
She's not a 'nice girl'--I'd bet the ranch on that.

I don't know why anyone is so surprised that he explodes. After reading threads in Relationships and elsewhere--there's a lot of 'stuff' being said by many men and women and I suppose most of us are fortunate not to be well-known.

I only question how MG didn't find an attorney who could take legal steps on his behalf some time ago. Times are really bad if you can hire the best and pay them well and it still comes to this.

No doubt about it we are going to 'H' in a handbasket here.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:55 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,197,333 times
On the View, Woopie defended the accusations that Mel is a racist. She says they are very close friends.

I can understand her position. Many African Americans use the N word themselves.

She's pointing out that using the N word doesn't necessarily mean a person is a racist.

I admire Woopie for standing up for him in regards to the racist accusations.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:56 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,084,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post

No doubt about it we are going to 'H' in a handbasket here.

We're being Fed Ex'd to hell... the label's been printed and is on the box... just waiting for the driver to pick it up!

Old 07-13-2010, 01:58 PM

7,371 posts, read 12,346,547 times
Quote:

Wrong.

There are limits to free speech. I'm sure you've heard of the "yelling fire in a crowded theater" example.

Threatening bodily harm or death are both illegal in this country.

For fun, why don't you call the FBI, give them your name, and tell them you are going to kill the president. Remind them that you are just exercising your free speech. Hopefully you have a smart phone so you can perhaps report back and tell us how jail is treating you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities