U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 11:24 AM

5,007 posts, read 7,669,108 times

Advertisements

Have you heard the latest tape? It is horrid. The guy has some kind of problem.

All this could have been averted if the guy had gotten a vasectomy previously. And stayed sober and made good life decisions.

Just horrid and disgusting. The ranting and raving. Nonsensical. Abysmal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 11:44 AM

15,616 posts, read 9,168,636 times
I think we have too high a tolerance for quieter expressions of “isms” such as anti-semitism, racism, and sexism. This is born out in part by how unblinkingly people write and read comments in this thread about the Jewish liberal media, trash talking blacks, and women who are asking for it. As damaging as these mindsets can be, it’s further reprehensible when they’re used as excuses for unacceptable behaviour and to relieve offenders of any personal responsibility.

Gibson may well be an alcoholic but since when does that excuse the behavior? Any of us who have experience with alcoholics know that alcohol rarely is their only problem – in fact, often it’s a mask for other pre-existing issues. IMO, it’s becoming clear that his other issues are ugly.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:47 AM

21,465 posts, read 18,172,971 times
Bravo, toos!

Old 07-12-2010, 01:05 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,395,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
exactly.

in one of the tapes, he ADMITS he hit her. he tells her she deserved it.

i can see the point in saying that his personal life shouldn't play a part in whether people appreciate his work (although personally i have no desire to support this guy financially anymore), but to actually listen to these tapes and not conclude that the guy is a racist, sexist, abusive scumbag, never mind thinking that that his girlfriend is worse than him because she taped his abuse, is to have some seriously gigantic blinders on.

and who cares about the legality of verbal abuse - you have to be a pretty terrible person to say things like that to someone. that's the only point people are making - no one's saying he should go to jail for the things he's said. if people decide they don't want to buy things from, or work with, a terrible person, that's their choice. that's the beauty of capitalism!
I'll take your word for it--I've heard enough abusive language --years in middle school--wondering how many of my students are doing since they preferred to express themselves according to their own standards.

I would think Mel has access to quality healthcare--my Dad would spout off like that--never any alcohol involved--finally diagnosed with severe heart problems but who can really know. Some of his ideas came from an organization which shall go unnamed--or Army buddies--or maybe he thought too long and hard about things that didn't matter.

He has an attorney--hopefully she has an attorney and CA will have to deal with this.

After he said that his religious beliefs would prevent him from any form of medical care involving stem cells --and included all members of his family in his decision I was pretty much finished listening to him.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:09 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,395,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I think we have too high a tolerance for quieter expressions of “isms” such as anti-semitism, racism, and sexism. This is born out in part by how unblinkingly people write and read comments in this thread about the Jewish liberal media, trash talking blacks, and women who are asking for it. As damaging as these mindsets can be, it’s further reprehensible when they’re used as excuses for unacceptable behaviour and to relieve offenders of any personal responsibility.

Gibson may well be an alcoholic but since when does that excuse the behavior? Any of us who have experience with alcoholics know that alcohol rarely is their only problem – in fact, often it’s a mask for other pre-existing issues. IMO, it’s becoming clear that his other issues are ugly.
Good points. Yes, if you spend your time focused on 'details' and cannot move forward you create a mental prison.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:38 PM

15,644 posts, read 14,706,842 times
Quote:

Exceptional post, toosie.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:31 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,589,392 times
As bad as the tapes are.....why in the world did she give them to the media? I would have only shared that with a judge, not put it out there so my child would be mortified as she got older. That's just wrong.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:34 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,294,456 times
Quote:

Beautifully written and right on the mark!

Old 07-12-2010, 05:40 PM

9,599 posts, read 17,722,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
As bad as the tapes are.....why in the world did she give them to the media? I would have only shared that with a judge, not put it out there so my child would be mortified as she got older. That's just wrong.
By giving the tapes to the media helps her get support from others. Its going to be a messy court battle.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:33 PM

8,680 posts, read 12,855,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
Have you heard the latest tape? It is horrid. The guy has some kind of problem.

All this could have been averted if the guy had gotten a vasectomy previously. And stayed sober and made good life decisions.

Just horrid and disgusting. The ranting and raving. Nonsensical. Abysmal.
Yes, [URL="http://gawker.com/5584987/"]it is[/URL].

Warning: The tape is totally NOT SAFE FOR WORK so put your headphones on or watch it at home, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities