Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 02:00 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,540,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I don't know his personal business and whether he can handle it or not. Nor do I care.

Fact is, if he wants to run that is his prerogative and none of your business. The people will vote and thereby select the candidate of their choosing. Maybe it will be him, or maybe someone else. Why do you hate the process of democracy?

And you didn't answer my question: do you have the stones to voluntarily take a job that includes a high likelihood of being murdered within the next few years? Of course you wouldn't. You are one of those e-warriors who sits around complaining about matters which don't concern him whatsoever.

Now, if you are a Haitian voter, I will retract this post. But come on... of course you aren't.

Whether it's my business or not isn't your business either! But this is a message board where you and I can say what we think! Sure....he can run. He has the right. But just because someone CAN do something, does not mean they SHOULD! And his personal record is public knowledge if you choose to look it up! I posted some of it right in front of you. And just from that alone, he should stick to music business and get a handle on that first.

Then you assume I don't like Democracy because I think this clown should let his people get a better qualified person and get outta the way?? Can you read? Where did I say I hate democracy?

Lastly, If I'm a Haitian voter, I'm hopin' his running is only a myth!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 11:27 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Whether it's my business or not isn't your business either! But this is a message board where you and I can say what we think! Sure....he can run. He has the right. But just because someone CAN do something, does not mean they SHOULD! And his personal record is public knowledge if you choose to look it up! I posted some of it right in front of you. And just from that alone, he should stick to music business and get a handle on that first.

Then you assume I don't like Democracy because I think this clown should let his people get a better qualified person and get outta the way?? Can you read? Where did I say I hate democracy?

Lastly, If I'm a Haitian voter, I'm hopin' his running is only a myth!
Did a medic have to loosen your straightjacket to enable you to type out this hysterical post? This whole things radiates The Crazy.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ongletnyc View Post
did a medic have to loosen your straightjacket to enable you to type out this hysterical post? This whole things radiates the crazy.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:36 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,051 times
It's very wonderful that Wyclef Jean does care about his home country of Haiti, but I'm more concerned about his qualifications as a presidential candidate. Does he have the sufficient political, economic, public health, etc. background to try and lead Haiti out of turmoil and devastation?

You really can't compare Jean and Schwarzenegger (other than they are celebrities), since they are operating on a completely different playing field. Arnold is just responsible for the state of California. Jean, if elected, will be responsible for an ENTIRE COUNTRY. Big difference!!! Plus California is doing substantially better (economically, politically, etc.) than Haiti.

@OngletNYC: You're right, being the President of Haiti is NOT the most glamorous job...far from it! Their is a significant danger in being in that position.

I hope Jean thought this presidential candidacy through before he announced it to the media/public.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
It's very wonderful that Wyclef Jean does care about his home country of Haiti, but I'm more concerned about his qualifications as a presidential candidate. Does he have the sufficient political, economic, public health, etc. background to try and lead Haiti out of turmoil and devastation?

You really can't compare Jean and Schwarzenegger (other than they are celebrities), since they are operating on a completely different playing field. Arnold is just responsible for the state of California. Jean, if elected, will be responsible for an ENTIRE COUNTRY. Big difference!!! Plus California is doing substantially better (economically, politically, etc.) than Haiti.

@OngletNYC: You're right, being the President of Haiti is NOT the most glamorous job...far from it! Their is a significant danger in being in that position.

I hope Jean thought this presidential candidacy through before he announced it to the media/public.
QUALIFICATIONS:
Wyclef's waterfront mansion that was purchased through his corporation
Quote:
on Pine Tree Drive in Miami Beach, Florida, is now owned by a bank as of November 2008. The property is valued at US $1.4 million. He took out a US $2-million mortgage to purchase and renovate the property, but fell behind in payments. There are more than $100,000 in construction and architectural liens associated with the property. The house was reported to be auctioned at the Miami-Dade Courthouse on December 12, 2008. Wyclef Jean's corporation, which he and a few friends set up several years ago, then owed the bank US$2.4 million.
In January 2009, Wyclef mentioned, in a walk-by interview, that the problems with their Miami property were due to a contractor's sitting on the job for two years, and that the court-ordered sale did not take place, and that he plans to sell the property later.

Wyclef Jean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is not something to be done on "emotion". This has all the earmarks of just that......emotion! And you are right....no comparison between one of our 50 states and Haiti (even without the quake).

Old 08-09-2010, 06:45 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
QUALIFICATIONS:
Wyclef's waterfront mansion that was purchased through his corporation

This is not something to be done on "emotion". This has all the earmarks of just that......emotion! And you are right....no comparison between one of our 50 states and Haiti (even without the quake).
I haven't heard a solid "proposed" plan for recovery in Haiti from Jean via the media, which makes me question even more if he is actually qualified for the position. Not looking for all of the plan's goodies here, but enough for him to gain much support. I've heard about the financial scandal regarding Jean and the organization he founded, Yele a while back. Not the best publicity for him and is biting him in the tuccus right now.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:31 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,187,858 times
Interesting this discussion regarding a Haitian man running for election in Haiti by we who don't have any connection to the place. This was an interesting short interview with Wyclef Jean on the radio this evening. Listen to what he has to say. Read, listen or download the podcast. 6 minutes

Jean Casts Lack Of Experience As Asset In Haiti Bid : NPR transcript

Wyclef Jean Makes Case For His Candidacy In Haiti : NPR podcast

Miami's Haitian Community Weigh In On Wyclef Jean : NPR podcast

Old 08-09-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Interesting this discussion regarding a Haitian man running for election in Haiti by we who don't have any connection to the place. This was an interesting short interview with Wyclef Jean on the radio this evening. Listen to what he has to say. Read, listen or download the podcast. 6 minutes

Jean Casts Lack Of Experience As Asset In Haiti Bid : NPR transcript

Wyclef Jean Makes Case For His Candidacy In Haiti : NPR podcast

Miami's Haitian Community Weigh In On Wyclef Jean : NPR podcast
It's not about his Haitian background! It's about his lack of experience!! This is all an emotional response and he's a big name celeb!

HE CAN'T EVEN RUN HIS OWN AFFAIRS!!!!!!!!

Those people deserve better!!

Old 08-09-2010, 11:54 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
a country with the huge problems like Haiti has, should be run by a person with loads of experience..surely there are lots of realistic things he can do to help his country. Has he even lived there recently? I see it as just another celeb trying out for something else..being famous isn't enough, especially in Haiti....

Old 08-10-2010, 12:53 AM

404 posts, read 1,030,781 times
This might have been one of the dumbest announcements in recent history. He should stick to what he does for a living and leave the rest to those more qualified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities