U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-05-2010, 10:29 PM

7,140 posts, read 4,431,113 times

Advertisements

Jill Clayburgh Dies - Tributes, Lily Rabe : People.com

I loved her in "Dirty, Sexy Money". I so badly wished that show hadn't been canceled when the writers went on strike.

Apparently she'd been battling chronic Leukemia for 22 years!

Bio of her work: Jill Clayburgh: 1944 - 2010

Rest in peace, Mrs. Clayburgh. Thank you for all your great entertaining throughout the years. You made me proud to share your name.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 10:40 PM

10,019 posts, read 7,165,173 times
I had NO idea of her illness or passing.
R.I.P. Jill--a great actress.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:42 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,479,697 times
I grew up loving her strong, independent women movies. My favorite was An Unmarried Woman with Alan Bates. I saw her with a young girl once on the Upper West Side. Her eyes briefly met my surprised eyes. She knew I recognized her, put her head down and walked quickly ahead. She was a private woman who I respectfully never would have approached. The fact that no one knew of her long term illness and the announcement of no funeral by her family reflect just how private she was unlike many, sex taped, tell all, photo pimping of their children, publicity seeking, celebs today. Jill Clayburgh was a class act.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:31 AM

45,229 posts, read 6,331,588 times
I just read the sad news. R.I.P. Jill.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:57 PM

10,019 posts, read 7,165,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I grew up loving her strong, independent women movies. My favorite was An Unmarried Woman with Alan Bates. I saw her with a young girl once on the Upper West Side. Her eyes briefly met my surprised eyes. She knew I recognized her, put her head down and walked quickly ahead. She was a private woman who I respectfully never would have approached. The fact that no one knew of her long term illness and the announcement of no funeral by her family reflect just how private she was unlike many, sex taped, tell all, photo pimping of their children, publicity seeking, celebs today. Jill Clayburgh was a class act.
Applauds this post. "An Unmarried Woman" remains my favorite of her movies as well. She seemed a total class act in her private life.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:05 AM

5,522 posts, read 6,139,108 times
What an unfortunate surprise to read this.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:11 AM

1,856 posts, read 1,959,848 times
She was fairly recently in a film called "Running With Scissors" from 2006. It's a good one. Kind of a dark comedy. It's one of my favorite movies. She was so good in that. I love how she played opposite Annette Bening - an attractive middle-aged woman. Kind of what she was 20/30 years ago. I love the dialogue she says to Annette in one scene, "I'm not as pretty as you." It's just ironic - and good acting! - because at one time that's what Jill Clayburgh was known for. She was known for playing very strong, beautiful female leads. It was cool that she had put in enough years in the business, she could of step aside and play a frumpier older character alongside a younger woman whose role she probably would've had a couple decades ago.

I had no idea she'd battled leukemia for 20 years. That is awful. But she obviously made the most of her life. She probably prolonged with a positive attitude.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:55 AM

43,861 posts, read 27,828,237 times
Incredible her having leukemia for so many years and still being active in so many roles.
I didn't know....so thanks for posting this.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:47 PM

7,140 posts, read 4,431,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesconsinite View Post

She was fairly recently in a film called "Running With Scissors" from 2006. It's a good one. Kind of a dark comedy. It's one of my favorite movies. She was so good in that.
I saw that movie. Can't say I liked it very much, but there's no question that her acting was phenomenal in that role.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post

Incredible her having leukemia for so many years and still being active in so many roles.

I didn't know....so thanks for posting this.
Not that I like being the bearer of bad news, but you're welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities