Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:55 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,346,279 times

Advertisements

I like the non-diamond engagement ring concept - I hope it starts a trend...

There is a big article on this in this Month's vanity fair. I wonder if someone leaked to that mag beforehand?... I heard the acctual engagement took place a while ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 09:07 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,121 times
I don't see anything wrong with him giving her the ring as an engagement ring. It was worn by his mother for many years. It carries her spirit, and I think that is what he is hoping to pass on to his new princess. Yes in some ways it represents negative and tragic events, but mainly, it was a ring that Diana wore. I see his point that it is a way to involve his beloved mother.

I'm sure that he asked Kate how she felt about it anyway. If I were Kate, I would be honored to have that ring.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:05 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,196,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I don't see anything wrong with him giving her the ring as an engagement ring. It was worn by his mother for many years. It carries her spirit, and I think that is what he is hoping to pass on to his new princess. Yes in some ways it represents negative and tragic events, but mainly, it was a ring that Diana wore. I see his point that it is a way to involve his beloved mother.

I'm sure that he asked Kate how she felt about it anyway. If I were Kate, I would be honored to have that ring.
I totally understand the choice, I lost my mother and I understand why he would want to give her a ring that was his late mother's, and it would have to be appropriate as an engagement ring so it couldn't just be any ring. Despite how bad the marriage was, he and his brother exist because of that marriage so there are positives also, obviously it has positive connotations to him, that's all that matters.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I like the non-diamond engagement ring concept - I hope it starts a trend...

There is a big article on this in this Month's vanity fair. I wonder if someone leaked to that mag beforehand?... I heard the acctual engagement took place a while ago.
Me too, I'm not really into engagement rings, especially with the current emphasis on size and cost which I find nauseating. I am engaged, I currently wear my late grandmothers diamond wedding band, but if I were to wear an actual engagement ring I would probably choose a non diamond as the main stone.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:48 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
Quote:

I agree. Learn from the mistakes of the past and move forward.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:55 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,788,054 times
Kate's Royal Prison - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailybeast/20101118/ts_dailybeast/11034_princewilliamandkatemiddletonengagementhardw orkbeingroyal - broken link)

hopefully she will have the total love and support of William. Hers is to be a life that few would want.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:09 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:

Of course there is nothing wrong with it...I was just saying I would feel weird given the circumstances. Obviously she does not.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
Kate's Royal Prison - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/dailybeast/20101118/ts_dailybeast/11034_princewilliamandkatemiddletonengagementhardw orkbeingroyal - broken link)

hopefully she will have the total love and support of William. Hers is to be a life that few would want.
So true, I would never be able to handle all the pressures and scrutiny she is in for, being a princess will be her whole life. Of course, there are some great perks with being a royal, but it wouldn't be worth it to me, William's wife will have every eye on her all the time, that's some serious pressure, when Harry marries his wife will have it much easier, like the difference between Diana and Fergie. It's much better than with Diana though because Kate has had years to learn what it will be like, and her husband seems to truly love her, I imagine he and the family will be very protective of her because of what happened to Diana.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:09 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,378,548 times
I would say that Harry Potter getting married is even bigger news.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:07 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
£7 Billion in public service cuts and no doubt the British tax payer will be picking up the tab for the blessed event... The cost alone in Police presence will be staggering at a time when policemen's jobs are being cut left right and centre thanks to our Conservative government.

Young woman marries young man. Good for them, I wish them all the best as individuals as I would every single other young couple. What the big fascination is for people other than their families is beyond me however. They are no more important than any other human beings on the planet and yet our society colludes with this archaic system which is the monarchy by glamourising it. I remain bemused.

The best of Happiness and luck to them both. Apart from that I do not want one penny of tax payer's money to go towards their nuptials when jobs and public services are being cut and both their families can afford to pay for the Wedding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities