U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 05:01 PM

16,264 posts, read 11,626,541 times

Advertisements

There once was a thing called debtor's prison many, many years ago for folks that didn't pay their bills. Here in Indiana if you don't pay child support you go to jail still.

I don't know if Snipes should have been in prison just for debt but he had chances to pay it up before he went to jail and refused. What I find odd is the wall street & politicians that do the same thing and don't go to jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 05:02 PM

8,602 posts, read 5,942,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
tickyul, Snipes had a bad accountant to begin with. I believe the guy is in jail and or has lawsuits against him right now for taking his clients money. Both Snipes and the Accountant are at fault.
Snipes for not understanding his situation and or taking more control over his own finances.

People like Snipes have lots of money and people to manage it. Half the times they don't even sign their own checks and don't know how much money they have in the bank. He probably never saw an IRS notice until they came knocking at his door. By then of course it is too late.

I also blame the system. They should never put a person in jail for taxes. Like I said before we get screwed into paying taxes as we live and breath. From the time we wake up to the time we go to bed we are paying taxes (even while we sleep). That is just wrong. Hopefully, Snipes will get out of jail soon.
So, if someone purposely and willfully attempts to defraud the US Government by evanding taxes it....you do not think they should go to jail. Yikes, talk about encouraging bad behavior.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:07 PM

2,987 posts, read 4,842,771 times
First of all, we pay taxes all day long so everyone pay taxes all of the time. We pay taxes on water, in some places there are additional taxes on water bottles and plastic bags, we get taxed at any store, to put the gas in our car, to be seen at the hospital, to get a social security check, to give birth, to keep the lights on, to purchase a house etc.

Now with all the taxes you and I pay I'd wish there was no crime (I don't feel any safer), roads were fixed, kids could actually read and be more advance than children in 3rd world countries, and social security that comes out of my checks to be around when I retire. Guess what that is not happening.

The guy did not defraud the IRS. His accountant on the other hand did some shady things. There are criminals that actually rape and kill people and do less time. All the true criminals walking around DC who are running this country and those on Wall Street are still not in jail. Who went to jail for the Enron scandal? Who is in jail for the housing market? More people should be in jail for the Madolf scandal but they aren't.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:53 PM

8,602 posts, read 5,942,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
First of all, we pay taxes all day long so everyone pay taxes all of the time. We pay taxes on water, in some places there are additional taxes on water bottles and plastic bags, we get taxed at any store, to put the gas in our car, to be seen at the hospital, to get a social security check, to give birth, to keep the lights on, to purchase a house etc.

Now with all the taxes you and I pay I'd wish there was no crime (I don't feel any safer), roads were fixed, kids could actually read and be more advance than children in 3rd world countries, and social security that comes out of my checks to be around when I retire. Guess what that is not happening.

The guy did not defraud the IRS. His accountant on the other hand did some shady things. There are criminals that actually rape and kill people and do less time. All the true criminals walking around DC who are running this country and those on Wall Street are still not in jail. Who went to jail for the Enron scandal? Who is in jail for the housing market? More people should be in jail for the Madolf scandal but they aren't.
Uh....No, Snipes was convicted of Tax Fraud, that means the preponderance of the evidence showed that he KNOWINGLY EVADED paying taxes on income and/or hiding income.

And Snipes HIRED a long time TAX PROTESTOR as his accountant......hehehe, what is the deal with that....we know.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:14 PM

2,987 posts, read 4,842,771 times
For the most part many of these celebs don't do their own taxes. Strongly doubt that he knowingly defrauded the government. Anyways, the government defrauds us everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities