U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2010, 12:55 PM

12,978 posts, read 26,635,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
You didn't have to. I just did it for you. Cruise's actions? a) Going off about Brooke Sheild's post-partum depression. b) Going off on Matt Lauer on the Today show. Just to name a couple that I've seen. I'm sure there are many more, I would think. I doubt I would be able to be friends of Scientologists just like Witnesses. They just are too "different" in their thinking. BTW, my in-laws are Witnesses so I know how "different" thinking they can be. I choose not to be involved.
Thats pretty sad right there. Hope that you dont have any children and are passing along this "hate" to them. Still, you havent said anything about Travolta's actions that made you dislike him other than his faith. I am dear friends with Buddhists, Witnesses, Scientologists, Jews, Muslim, etc. and am just unable to hate a person just because of his/her religion/faith. I dont like how a couple of Muslim guys hijacked planes on 9-11 but I am smart enough to know that not all people of that faith are that way. And smart enough not to go around saying that I dislike people of a faith based on one, two or three individuals actions.

Last edited by LaoTzuMindFu; 12-11-2010 at 01:06 PM..

Old 12-11-2010, 12:56 PM

4,705 posts, read 12,826,823 times
Quote:
You didn't have to. I just did it for you. Cruise's actions? a) Going off about Brooke Sheild's post-partum depression. b) Going off on Matt Lauer on the Today show. Just to name a couple that I've seen. I'm sure there are many more, I would think. I doubt I would be able to be friends of Scientologists just like Witnesses. They just are too "different" in their thinking. BTW, my in-laws are Witnesses so I know how "different" thinking they can be. I choose not to be involved.
Wasnt the Matt Lauer incident and the Brooke incident the same thing?
And he apologized and personally visited Brooke, A well publicized meeting where he admitted being wrong and asked forgiveness.
Though certainly not a Cruise fan, I really dont know anything he has done wrong. Well,except for his overacting

I like living here in America,,freedom of Religion.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:17 PM

3 posts, read 4,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
We have all heard these rumors for years, But good old Carrie is as blunt as a sledge hammer. I wonder if his Scientology team of lawyers will swoop in.
Carrie and John have been friends for years and I do agree with what she says- No one will care, why cant he be honest about it?

[url=http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2010/12/everyone-knows-john-travolta-gay-says-carrie-fisher]Everyone Knows John Travolta Is Gay, Says Carrie Fisher | Radar Online[/url]
Because he's a creepy closet case and a Scientologist. And Scientology, though they sort of try to have it both ways, are not very gay friendly. They claim to not have anything against gay people, but the writings of L. Ron Hubbard are very clear. He said in print that gay people were dangerous and should be locked up. Here are direct quotes from L.Ron Hubbard's writings:

"The sexual pervert (and by this term Dianetics, to be brief, includes any and all forms of deviation in Dynamic II [i.e. sexuality] such as homosexuality, lesbianism, sexual sadism, etc., and all down the catalog of [URL="http://www.city-data.com/wiki/Havelock_Ellis"]Ellis[/URL] and [URL="http://www.city-data.com/wiki/Richard_Freiherr_von_Krafft-Ebing"]Krafft-Ebing[/URL]) is actually quite ill physically... he is very far from culpable for his condition, but he is also far from normal and extremely dangerous to society..."Scientologists try to say they're not anti-gay, yet they supported Proposition 8 in California. Pretty odd that there are actually gay scientologists, huh? Self-hatred is a very sad thing.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:19 PM

3 posts, read 4,942 times
Yes indeed, and freedom of religion means freedom from religion, which means the freedom to criticize religion when you disagree. See how that works? It cuts both ways.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:22 PM

19,709 posts, read 15,476,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Thats pretty sad right there. Hope that you dont have any children and are passing along this "hate" to them. Still, you havent said anything about Travolta's actions that made you dislike him other than his faith. I am dear friends with Buddhists, Witnesses, Scientologists, Jews, Muslim, etc. and am just unable to hate a person just because of his/her religion/faith. I dont like how a couple of Muslim guys hijacked planes on 9-11 but I am smart enough to know that not all people of that faith are that way. And smart enough not to go around saying that I dislike people of a faith based on one, two or three individuals actions.

Now, now, no need to start in with the personal BS. Re-read my other post, I addressed the "actions". I am smart enough to know the difference between cyberspace and "real" life. I act accordingly with each. See, here in cyberspce I can voice what I must hide in the real world so as not to offend others. Here, I don't care too much if I ruffle some feathers. Each to their own. You don't like it, fine, you are entitled to not like what I say. Same here. I don't like having to be phoney out in real life but I must play by the rules PC people have created for everyone. I have lost my rights.

BTW, I used to be a bleeding heart liberal in my younger years so no "damage" was done to my kids' minds. LOL Mother sure can make 'em cringe now though! Now be done with me, this is the celebs section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
Wasnt the Matt Lauer incident and the Brooke incident the same thing?
And he apologized and personally visited Brooke, A well publicized meeting where he admitted being wrong and asked forgiveness.
Though certainly not a Cruise fan, I really dont know anything he has done wrong. Well,except for his overacting

I like living here in America,,freedom of Religion.
And supposedly freedom of speech too. Riiiight.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykream View Post
Yes indeed, and freedom of religion means freedom from religion, which means the freedom to criticize religion when you disagree. See how that works? It cuts both ways.

TY, kk, I see there is a cool head around here and who understands that the door swings both ways.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Because he's a creepy closet case and a Scientologist. And Scientology, though they sort of try to have it both ways, are not very gay friendly. They claim to not have anything against gay people, but the writings of L. Ron Hubbard are very clear. He said in print that gay people were dangerous and should be locked up. Here are direct quotes from L.Ron Hubbard's writings:

"The sexual pervert (and by this term Dianetics, to be brief, includes any and all forms of deviation in Dynamic II [i.e. sexuality] such as homosexuality, lesbianism, sexual sadism, etc., and all down the catalog of Ellis and Krafft-Ebing) is actually quite ill physically... he is very far from culpable for his condition, but he is also far from normal and extremely dangerous to society..."Scientologists try to say they're not anti-gay, yet they supported Proposition 8 in California. Pretty odd that there are actually gay scientologists, huh? Self-hatred is a very sad thing.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
But of COURSE we can criticize or disagree. OF COURSE. Who on here said it doesnt "cut both ways"? Did I miss something?
Thats why we are chatting on a public forum.

Last edited by nanannie; 12-11-2010 at 05:40 PM..

Old 12-11-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv;16970843

[COLOR=blue
And supposedly freedom of speech too. Riiiight.[/color]
Well SURE. We are all practicing that on this thread,,,oui?

Old 12-11-2010, 09:44 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,844,103 times
Quote:
LOL--"Going off" on Matt Lauer? Please, all Tom did was disagree with him and tell Lauer that he didn't know the history of psychology like he did. Cruise was merely espousing his strong, personal beliefs about his faith. Something that I'm pretty sure are given to us via the !st Ammendment. Also, Cruise has undoubtedly known women in his Scientology group who have overcome such psychological maladies as PPD, thus he was only trying to relate these experiences and perhaps prevent Shields from having to rely on medication, which always has side-effects and is usually over-prescribed by shrinks anyway, since it's easier to toss drugs at people than to take the time and effort to help them with therapy.
If Cruise ain't your cup of tea, cool. But let's not accuse him of things he didn't do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.