Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:03 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,371,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

My ultimate favorite Aaliyah song is 4 page letter; was listening to that yesterday. I actually prefer Aaliyah over beyonce though.
Mine was the one I gave my heart to followed closely by I Miss you but 4 page letter was a good one too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 12:22 AM

13 posts, read 23,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Damn, I forgot all about this thread lol

Aaliyah did complicated dance moves??? Please show me. She was no Ciara; and to insult Beyonce's dance skills is like insulting Josephine Baker. They are both are spiritual dancers; while Aaliyah is was more routine and professional [I have to say; her dancing was only impressive in the 90s].
Ciara isn't that amazing either. She does the same moves since 2004. She's a one trick pony. She doesn't do many other styles besides those crunk moves and that's getting played out.

Aaliyah's choreography wasn't overly difficult, but the way she excecutes them perfectly is/was amazing. She was so precise and smooth with it. If you watch her videos, Notice how SLOPPY her backup dancers look while Aaliyah displays a more unique teqnique.

Beyonce's dancing is just like mcdonalds. Very entertaining, but if you examine it under a microscope you would notice that's it's trash. She puts alot of energy into the choreo, but it's very simple and predictable. Butt shaking, arm moving, and crawling on the floor. Eh, to each it's own.

I prefer Beyonce's singing than her dancing.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:14 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,654,933 times
I dont know how spiritual Beyonce's dancing is...I think she has learned a lot...

Go back and look at the first Destiny's Child video--she has come a looooooooooooong way.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:01 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,540,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
I dont know how spiritual Beyonce's dancing is...I think she has learned a lot...

Go back and look at the first Destiny's Child video--she has come a looooooooooooong way.
yES!!! SHE HAS.....

YouTube - Beyoncé;Jay-Z - Crazy In Love

YouTube - Beautiful Liar - Beyonce ft Shakira

Old 10-25-2014, 09:12 PM
lox

2 posts, read 3,248 times
AAliyah was neither that good or bad, just inbetween, and this is coming from someone who actually bought all her albums from year '94. Honestly if she had lived she would have gone more into acting

Old 10-25-2014, 09:15 PM
lox

2 posts, read 3,248 times
As for Beyonce if she had been a solo artist [without Destiny's Child] , that R&B sound wouldn't have been working for her, she'd have to be doing that R&B / pop genre she's doing now.

Also while she's good at what she does and does have a package, she's also overrated, she's not he best dancer, but a good one, she's not the greatest vocalist, but a good one.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:55 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,694 times
I often get flack for this, but I think if Aaliyah hadn't died, she probably would've suffered the same fate of Brandy and Monica. I love, love, love Aaliyah, but I sometimes people speak of her out of their nostalgia-- her passing essentially happened when she was on top. If Brandy had died right after Full Moon, or Monica after The Boy is Mine, people would insist that, if they had lived, they'd still be on top. For Brandy in particular, I could see some people arguing she'd be the modern day Whitney. Some curse seemed to happen where a lot of 90's stars didn't make the jump into the mid 00's.

Mariah and Mary had a renaissance in 2005, but pretty much everyone got left in the dust.

For Beyonce's part, her success was a result of her being able to reinvent herself as a solo artist with a new image to compete with the mid 00's R&B/pop girls. Even now, she sort of borrows the best of individual singers to create a package that appeals to a wider audience. Honestly, I think her earlier solo success had more to do with Matthew Knowles than Beyonce.

We can justifiably debate back and forth on Beyonce's artistry, but the girl sure can put on a show.

Old 07-08-2018, 09:31 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times
No.

When you die everyone says you're like the greatest.

I could just as easily say that 50 Cent and JaRule would not be as popular as they were if Pac and Biggie were still around. In fact people often say that Jay-Z would never have been as popular if Biggie had not died. Jay-Z had his own sound, not taking away from Biggie, but Jay-Z still would have done his thing. Now, there were people that gravitated to Jay-Z because they wanted a new King of New York and they wanted someone to fill that void. Jay just took advantage of that opportunity, or rather, people put him in that role. Unfortunate but some in New York wanted Jay to be like a Malcolm/Martin type for their own selfish reasons. Big shoes to fill but I think that Jay managed okay.

Anyway people want you to be the greatest when you only have a few under your belt. How many great artists died only having 2 or three records in? Too many to count. And they'll always be the greatest because they were gone too soon.

A better argument might be Michael Jackson or Prince who were actually past their prime when they died. Its hard to see anyone creating a better legacy although I believe that a few artists may come close.

Beyonce is more like a Diana Ross anyway. Whether or not she can keep it going for longer than Diana did is the question. Technically you could say that Beyonce has more successful records as a solo artist than Diana by now. Diana was not the best singer, she may have been the best performer and they put her in a lot of interesting movie roles that made her come across as conscious, even if that was never part of the music. Really depends on what the industry wants I think they're riding this Beyonce train for as long as humanly possible so I expect another decade or more. Would not be surprised if Beyonce was still putting out number one albums in 2015, or even 2020. I honestly thought that it would have died down by now.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:13 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times
Quote:
Well, lets not kid ourselves. That group should have been called Beyonce and the other two girls, lol.

First of all I don't like manufactured celebrities. I'm not saying Beyonce doesn't work hard.
But all the people I talk to about things like this (when I do which is like, uh, never) say actually that the other two girls have the better voices, and that Kelly Rowland can sing rings around Beyonce. I believe Beyonce was the breakout because her father managed the group. I think the other girls (and their parents) were naive to think it was going to be any other way. Daddy Beyonce used the group to push his daughter. There's no way either one of the others would have been center stage. And it's always the lead singer that gets the best solo career.

Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams should call Mary Wilson and compare notes about being the better singer, yet not getting the leads and attention. (My understand is that The Supremes switched off lead singing until Diana started dating Berry Gordy. Then what do you know....Diana is THE lead.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities