U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 07:39 PM

15,190 posts, read 23,567,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Strongly disagree with your first sentence, in agreement with your second sentence.

LOL, but I didn't say their voices were bad, I just don't like the sound of them to my ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 07:41 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,725,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I know many people have probably heard this before, but what do you guys think about the statement that "If Aaliyah was still alive; Beyonce would've never got big"????

Thoughts???
Different audiences. Aalyiah was huge in the R&B/hip-hop world but not so much in the pop world. I remember a class trip to NY during high school and we stopped in times square. She and Jet Li were promoting Romeo Must Die and a large chunk of my (especially the white male) classmates didn't know who she was.

I think Ciara might not have made it though since Missy was very instrumental to the start of her career.

I think the better question is how successful would Destiny's Child have been if TLC was still on the top of their game when DC came out? I know there were LOTS of girl groups in the 90's TLC, Escape, Jade, En Vogue but TLC was that ONE that everybody loved.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:07 AM

2,653 posts, read 4,080,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Different audiences. Aalyiah was huge in the R&B/hip-hop world but not so much in the pop world. I remember a class trip to NY during high school and we stopped in times square. She and Jet Li were promoting Romeo Must Die and a large chunk of my (especially the white male) classmates didn't know who she was.

I think Ciara might not have made it though since Missy was very instrumental to the start of her career.

I think the better question is how successful would Destiny's Child have been if TLC was still on the top of their game when DC came out? I know there were LOTS of girl groups in the 90's TLC, Escape, Jade, En Vogue but TLC was that ONE that everybody loved.
Okay, Nat. Stop this walking down memory lane. I absolutely loved Jade. Poor En Vogue imploded.

Aalyiah and Bee were in different categories. I liked Aalyiah she had a nice sound. Looked down to earth.

Poor Ciara, Kerri Hilson, Rihanna. Those females are attractive, but that's it. No talent. Kerri H supposely is a songwriter. She can't sing too well.

I'm a Bee fan, but I await the time, when a female comes along and knock her down a peg or two. So many are trying to create her. Maybe the industry is. I don't know. Someone fresh and new is needed and wanted at this point. Music sucks right now.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Okay, Nat. Stop this walking down memory lane. I absolutely loved Jade. Poor En Vogue imploded.

Aalyiah and Bee were in different categories. I liked Aalyiah she had a nice sound. Looked down to earth.

Poor Ciara, Kerri Hilson, Rihanna. Those females are attractive, but that's it. No talent. Kerri H supposely is a songwriter. She can't sing too well.

I'm a Bee fan, but I await the time, when a female comes along and knock her down a peg or two. So many are trying to create her. Maybe the industry is. I don't know. Someone fresh and new is needed and wanted at this point. Music sucks right now.
Don't walk away boy, my love won't hurt you

I'm a Beyonce fan too but I hate that people act like everything she does is gold. I wasn't that impressed by her performance in Obsessed, especially her faux rage (gave me flashbacks of Whitney's faux rage in waiting to exhale) or some of her recent videos but apparently loving all things Beyonce is a must.

The one thing that still ticks me off when I think about Aaliyah is that she died making the Rock The Boat video and that wasn't even that good of a video I know thats silly but I was a huge fan of hers and I just wanted that video to be explosive

Old 12-30-2010, 04:37 PM

2,653 posts, read 4,080,630 times
Quote:

I'm a Beyonce fan too but I hate that people act like everything she does is gold. I wasn't that impressed by her performance in Obsessed, especially her faux rage (gave me flashbacks of Whitney's faux rage in waiting to exhale) or some of her recent videos but apparently loving all things Beyonce is a must.

The one thing that still ticks me off when I think about Aaliyah is that she died making the Rock The Boat video and that wasn't even that good of a video I know thats silly but I was a huge fan of hers and I just wanted that video to be explosive
Listen, I'm not gonna pull out my old cd's.

You remember Brownstone or Pure Soul? Pure Soul was a one cd wonder. They were the new EnVouge.

Back then, you had your choice of any girl groups to listen to. All were fighting to become number 1. Trying to keep you interesting in there sound.

Now, it's just Beyonce.

Yeah, I thought the same about "Obsessed". I thought of Whitney H. I was impressed with her in "Cadallic Records". She was better.

I think the Rock the Boat video was a hit, because it was a sexual song. She was dancing close with a woman several times. The idea of woman on woman will get the attention of most. She probably was the first in a video of that nature.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:35 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,613,983 times
I don't understand that statement, when Aaliyah was alive Beyonce and her click were doing their thing.
Aaliyah was more mainstream R&B and Beyonce is more pop even though she has R&B songs. Apples to oranges.

As far as talent goes Beyonce is better to me. Not knocking Aaliyah because I loved her as well.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:38 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,613,983 times
Quote:

Umm not everyone, yeah they had nice songs and their looks were okay but I'm an SWV fella!

Old 12-30-2010, 08:40 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,655,108 times
Quote:

Haha, I forget about Jade.

All three of them lack that "It" factor and what's sad is that out of those three; Rihanna probably had the most potential of doing that. However, she lacks longevity and her performances are lackluster. Beyonce is a boring person, but her performances are amazing and very energetic.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:44 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,655,108 times
Quote:

I remember when she first died and I made that statement and Everyone got mad lol

I just expected more. To fly all the way out to the Bahamas and to make something as simple as that video....

Old 12-30-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Listen, I'm not gonna pull out my old cd's.

You remember Brownstone or Pure Soul? Pure Soul was a one cd wonder. They were the new EnVouge.

Back then, you had your choice of any girl groups to listen to. All were fighting to become number 1. Trying to keep you interesting in there sound.

Now, it's just Beyonce.

Yeah, I thought the same about "Obsessed". I thought of Whitney H. I was impressed with her in "Cadallic Records". She was better.

I think the Rock the Boat video was a hit, because it was a sexual song. She was dancing close with a woman several times. The idea of woman on woman will get the attention of most. She probably was the first in a video of that nature.
Course I remember Brownstone! Pure Soul...not off the top of my head but I might if I hear the songs...what about SWV

Yeah the music industry is so closed off now. It's the same on the male sounds. We had Jodeci, Boyz II Men,Shai, Silk, H-town, 112, jagged Edge, not to mention Babyface and Brian Mcknight...now we have chris brown and trey songz..i swear every time i turn on the radio one of them is on.

Yeah I thought Beyonce was great in Caddallic records, Dreamgirls and Sweet Temptations...just like Whitney was good in the Bodyguard and Preacher's Wife. They need singing to ground them.

Rock the boat was hot for that reason but I liked We Need A Resolution so much better. My favorite Aaliyah video has to be Are You That Somebody. Loved the dance sequence there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I remember when she first died and I made that statement and Everyone got mad lol

I just expected more. To fly all the way out to the Bahamas and to make something as simple as that video....
Exactly! it looked like it could have been made in a studio. The best part of the video was where it looked like the girls were dancing on water. I'm sorry but Hype Williams completely spoiled me when it cam to videos. After I saw the What Its Gone Be video I was no longer impressed by simple dance moves and big boats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities