Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:01 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,376,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I know many people have probably heard this before, but what do you guys think about the statement that "If Aaliyah was still alive; Beyonce would've never got big"????

Thoughts???
I never heard of that statement and I disagree with it. Aaliyah was a different type of artist. She didn't have strong vocals, but she had catchy tunes and was a great dancer. I don't even know for sure if she still would be as popular now as she was when she was alive. We have a lot of artists with similar style now, Ciara comes to mind.
Don't forget that Beyonce started as a lead singer of Destiny's Child and was on a completely different level than Aaliyah. She would be popular with or without Aaliyah on the scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 10:03 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,025 times
I like Beyonce and have nothing against her at all... but AAliyah was my favorite singer ever since I was a little girl. I cried like a baby when she died. She was very charismatic and sexy ( also repped for the beautiful SLIM women haha).

Old 12-31-2010, 09:53 AM

2,652 posts, read 4,795,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Course I remember Brownstone! Pure Soul...not off the top of my head but I might if I hear the songs...what about SWV

Yeah the music industry is so closed off now. It's the same on the male sounds. We had Jodeci, Boyz II Men,Shai, Silk, H-town, 112, jagged Edge, not to mention Babyface and Brian Mcknight...now we have chris brown and trey songz..i swear every time i turn on the radio one of them is on.

Exactly! it looked like it could have been made in a studio. The best part of the video was where it looked like the girls were dancing on water. I'm sorry but Hype Williams completely spoiled me when it cam to videos. After I saw the What Its Gone Be video I was no longer impressed by simple dance moves and big boats.
Chante Moore, Miki Howard and Tamia.

Pure Soul made a nice wedding song..."we must be in love" and a rendition of "stairway to heaven". They didn't have a great management team behind them. I think the ladies would've been just as popular as EnVogue.

SWV, wow. CoCo left and thought she would blow up as a solo artist. She didn't. She should've went back to the group. Like Dru Hill...go back Sisqo.

If I hear another Tre recording. Eek. Tre is imitating R. Kelly. He's not a musical genuis, but he's filling the void for some. People may not like it, but Chris B will come back. Oh, let's not forget ole Keisha Cole. Cute, but can't sing. Now, Monica is a good singer, but her cd is full of computerized music. I hate it.

Hype Williams. Are there any meaningful videos out? The kind of video where you were on the fence with the song. You see the video and say, I'ma buy that cd.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:18 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,368,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Chante Moore, Miki Howard and Tamia.

Pure Soul made a nice wedding song..."we must be in love" and a rendition of "stairway to heaven". They didn't have a great management team behind them. I think the ladies would've been just as popular as EnVogue.
I'm gone have to check that out when I get on a computer

Quote:
SWV, wow. CoCo left and thought she would blow up as a solo artist. She didn't. She should've went back to the group. Like Dru Hill...go back Sisqo.
I thought Sisqo went back after that return of the dragon mess flopped...i think they have a reality show on Centric or TVOne I havent watched it just seen it when flipping by

Quote:
If I hear another Tre recording. Eek. Tre is imitating R. Kelly. He's not a musical genuis, but he's filling the void for some. People may not like it, but Chris B will come back. Oh, let's not forget ole Keisha Cole. Cute, but can't sing. Now, Monica is a good singer, but her cd is full of computerized music. I hate it.
Yeah I feel the same way, his music is so generic. Plus he looks too damn feminine. Men are supposed to be sexy, not pretty. Even the 90's pretty boys looked like men (Dalvin, Devante, Ginuwine) trey looks like he's wearing make-up. I like Chris B but I'm not feeling the new cd. He's all over the place. Thats Yeah 3 times song is a straight pop track...I thought you were an R&B singer. I'm not a fan of Keisha Coles at all. That reality show killed it for me. And Monica I liked the few singles that she made videos for; haven't heard the whole cd

Quote:
Hype Williams. Are there any meaningful videos out? The kind of video where you were on the fence with the song. You see the video and say, I'ma buy that cd.
I haven't seen a video that I really liked in years (with the exception of when a woman loves but thats because i'm a die hard R. Kelly fan) I thought beyonce's if i were a boy video was pretty creative

Old 12-31-2010, 11:01 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
Quote:

I thought Sisqo went back after that return of the dragon mess flopped...i think they have a reality show on Centric or TVOne I havent watched it just seen it when flipping by

Yeah I feel the same way, his music is so generic. Plus he looks too damn feminine. Men are supposed to be sexy, not pretty. Even the 90's pretty boys looked like men (Dalvin, Devante, Ginuwine) trey looks like he's wearing make-up. I like Chris B but I'm not feeling the new cd. He's all over the place. Thats Yeah 3 times song is a straight pop track...I thought you were an R&B singer. I'm not a fan of Keisha Coles at all. That reality show killed it for me. And Monica I liked the few singles that she made videos for; haven't heard the whole cd

I haven't seen a video that I really liked in years (with the exception of when a woman loves but thats because i'm a die hard R. Kelly fan) I thought beyonce's if i were a boy video was pretty creative
Monica's newest album is like that [Love that song "Here I am"].

Keyshia Cole's new album was a bore[I do like Sometimes and Last Hangover though]; too many slow tracks and her vocals were off. I guess we'll have to wait for her to get her heart broken again or something before she puts back out good music.[Mary J Blige anyone??? lol]

New albums I recommend is Kandi's and Charlie Wilson's. I wasn't really feeling R. Kelly new album; I'm not a big fan of that whole trying to bring back that old school sound.

I don't care for Trey Songz myself, but I was really feeling that one song off his new album "Unfortunate".

Old 01-01-2011, 01:38 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,368,412 times
Quote:
Monica's newest album is like that [Love that song "Here I am"].

Keyshia Cole's new album was a bore[I do like Sometimes and Last Hangover though]; too many slow tracks and her vocals were off. I guess we'll have to wait for her to get her heart broken again or something before she puts back out good music.[Mary J Blige anyone??? lol]

New albums I recommend is Kandi's and Charlie Wilson's. I wasn't really feeling R. Kelly new album; I'm not a big fan of that whole trying to bring back that old school sound.

I don't care for Trey Songz myself, but I was really feeling that one song off his new album "Unfortunate".
As for the whole love letter album; I'd give it a B. I still play Motown jams on my Ipod when I'm in them mood but hell even Motown had some more uptempo songs. I think When A woman loves, Taxi and Radio message are the best three songs on the cd. Jamie Foxx's new cd was a dreadful bore but I heard Kandi's was good. I saw a video of her and Tiny on facebook but I never got around to listening to the song. I haven't heard Trey's whole album either but the only single I've liked thus far was We Can't Be Friends.

You guys ever see the Temptations movie where Berry Gordy asks people if they only had a dollar would they buy that album or a sandwich....I haven't her a cd in a while that would make me pass on the sandwich.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:17 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,356,728 times
Quote:
I know many people have probably heard this before, but what do you guys think about the statement that "If Aaliyah was still alive; Beyonce would've never got big"????

Thoughts???
Both artist had two different aims. Aaliyah was more straight R&B and Beyonce leans more towards cross over. If Aaliyah was still here her music would probably had stayed aimed at a more R&B audience.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:59 PM

163 posts, read 390,702 times
If Aaliyah was still alive I think Beyonce would still be popular. Or atleast they would be neck and neck. I think Alicia Keys sings just as well as beyonce but i guess shes just not a performer and dancer like Bee. Guess thats why shes not as popular...

I guess the 90's was the season for singing groups and not solo artist, but i wish those times would come back. The industry is just filled to the rim of talentless artist not worth the 9.99 itunes download!

Old 01-02-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:

Sorry, I don't know how to separate your comments.

Dru Hill is trying, but they won't make it. Sisqo thinks he's a solo artist. One of the guys trick the group into signing a document, where he and another guy own something, if not all Dru Hill. A lot of animosity there. Rightfully so.

KC and JoJo trying to come back as well. I've seen their show as well. It was entertaining. Wasn't a lot of drama.

Speaking of comebacks...El Barge. Oh, I wish Traven Campbell would've tried to comeback.

It's one thing as a so called "pretty boy". Then, another to be pretty.

See how it's also impossible not to revert back to Beyonce. Bee has a huge machine behind her. It's no woman in the game. It's easy for Jay or Kanye to make those comments. There aren't any relevent female artist now. If your cute, slim and sing a little. The industry will throw her out there.

You didn't say R Kelly. Nope, don't care for Kelly. I didn't care for him before his arrest. You can't deny his talent, tho.

Kandi, no comment. I'm tired of her from ATL wives. Kandi can't sing to me. Her squealing is nerve racking.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
You guys ever see the Temptations movie where Berry Gordy asks people if they only had a dollar would they buy that album or a sandwich....I haven't her a cd in a while that would make me pass on the sandwich.
I listen to radio in the morning. The radio show is funny and entertaining, but the music is the same ole familiar faces and songs.

I have my favs on my Ipod. I listen to music on the computer...pandora, slacker and yahoo. I wait until 7:30p and listen to "quiet storm". I know the same old songs over and over and over again will not be played..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities