U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-12-2011, 10:42 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,807,479 times
Reputation: 7244

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller2500 View Post
You have to remember that Beyonce lived past the age of 22. She had time to train and develop her singing voice. When Aaliyah died, she was still growing with hers. If you remember, when Destiny's Child were still new Beyonce wasn't this "amazing" vocalist she is today. Comparing Beyonce's voice at 29 to Aaliyah's voice at 22 is an unfair comparison.

Aaliyah's voice wasn't that powerful, but she had a beautiful tone, decent range, and great emotional input with her voice. She shouldn't be classed as a "Ciara". Aaliyah has a soft voice with vocal skill, Ciara has a soft voice with no skill (see the above vids I posted as proof)

also, did you know that Aaliyah was going to be in sparkle? She even recorded her rendition of "Giving Up". I was impressed, because I never heard aaliyah sing like this. Check it out. Of course it doesn't top Hathaway's version, but a good version nothenless

Sparkle??? They remaking that movie or something???
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2011, 11:01 PM
 
13 posts, read 17,455 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Sparkle??? They remaking that movie or something???
Aaliyah was going to be in the remake of Sparkle in 2003 But the production for it was shut down because she died.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2011, 01:21 AM
 
Location: Here or There
3,823 posts, read 2,375,790 times
Reputation: 1556
I know this thread is about Beyonce and Aaliyah, but I cant get over all of the references to Ciara--she's talentless.

I think she is horrible. I dont even think Ciara should be in this conversation--Aaliyah didnt open a door for Ciara...Ciara is not in the zip code, much less room...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2011, 01:34 AM
 
10,655 posts, read 11,352,141 times
Reputation: 6013
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
I know this thread is about Beyonce and Aaliyah, but I cant get over all of the references to Ciara--she's talentless.

I think she is horrible. I dont even think Ciara should be in this conversation--Aaliyah didnt open a door for Ciara...Ciara is not in the zip code, much less room...
Look...early celebrity death has a way of heightening the status and accomplishments of the one who die. Beyond what they really were...

But let's be real...Ciara IS Aaliyah. They are the same person. Neither had strong vocals....both were slender and incredibly sexy.......both danced with the belly shirts and abs. Only difference? One is alive.

Last edited by picmod; 01-09-2014 at 06:01 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2011, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,866 posts, read 7,072,231 times
Reputation: 5113
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Actually, I agree with you.

The reason I asked is because I know lots of people always stating how Beyonce would have never become successful if Aaliyah was still alive. I still to this day don't get how Aaliyah had any relevance to Beyonce's music or career considering their music is actually quite different.
I have never heard this or see the relevance. While there are similarities, I think they are two entirely different singers.

Aaliyah had a more hip hop sound and was bigger in the black community. Beyonce is a powerhouse singer and has crossed over more. She heading for legendary status.

Regardless, Aaliyah was a beauty and I loved her and I know her star would have been even brighter today, even with Beyonce around.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2011, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Here or There
3,823 posts, read 2,375,790 times
Reputation: 1556
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Look...early celebrity death has a way of heightening the status and accomplishments of the one who die. Beyond what they really were...

But let's be real...Ciara IS Aaliyah. They are the same person.
While I agree with the first part, I disagree with everything else. I find Aaliyah's voice passable. Ciara's? Not even close. I dont even find Ciara sexy...that is why I cant agree with your premise: I find Aaliyah at least somewhat talented...Ciara? No way.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2011, 05:07 PM
 
10,655 posts, read 11,352,141 times
Reputation: 6013
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
While I agree with the first part, I disagree with everything else. I find Aaliyah's voice passable. Ciara's? Not even close. I dont even find Ciara sexy...that is why I cant agree with your premise: I find Aaliyah at least somewhat talented...Ciara? No way.
Sorry Cell..........But neither of them were vocal powerhouses.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2011, 11:02 PM
 
Location: Here or There
3,823 posts, read 2,375,790 times
Reputation: 1556
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Sorry Cell..........But neither of them were vocal powerhouses.
Oh, Im not confused about that--you are absolutely right. I just find that Aaliyah's voice is better, while Ciara's is...well, garbage?

In other words, I rate Aaliyah's voice a, I dont know, a 3? And Ciara's a 0...on a scale of 0 to 10 (zero being the lowest, of course).

That is what I mean...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 06:41 AM
 
Location: Orlando, FL
12,256 posts, read 15,798,073 times
Reputation: 6600
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
I know this thread is about Beyonce and Aaliyah, but I cant get over all of the references to Ciara--she's talentless.

I think she is horrible. I dont even think Ciara should be in this conversation--Aaliyah didnt open a door for Ciara...Ciara is not in the zip code, much less room...
If Aaliyah hadn't died it's doubtful that Ciara would have received the support she received from Missy E., which is where I first noticed her.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2011, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,866 posts, read 7,072,231 times
Reputation: 5113
Wow, this thread has definitely taken off in different directions and I have something to say about it.

Aaliyah - pretty voice, face and a great dancer. She excelled at complicated dance moves. Not a strong live performer but had something special.

Ciara - this is a pretty dancer who can carry a mild tune. That is all.

Beyonce - Hellava vocalist. Anyone is doubt needs to Youtube her vocal videos because girlfriend can hit and hold notes and do runs like none other and dance on top of that I saw her live and she sounded even better than on tape. She has an amazing range and powerful voice that most singers today cannot compete with in my opinion. I also think she is a great dancer. Anyone here try to learn the Single Ladies dance? Its been nearly 2 years and I am still trying.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top