Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 05:22 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,035,704 times

Advertisements

I know many people have probably heard this before, but what do you guys think about the statement that "If Aaliyah was still alive; Beyonce would've never got big"????

Thoughts???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 05:58 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,830,754 times
No thoughts on this. I didnt know there was room for only one female singer in the world. Didnt know there was only one slot that is available to only one person.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
No thoughts on this. I didnt know there was room for only one female singer in the world. Didnt know there was only one slot that is available to only one person.
Actually, I agree with you.

The reason I asked is because I know lots of people always stating how Beyonce would have never become successful if Aaliyah was still alive. I still to this day don't get how Aaliyah had any relevance to Beyonce's music or career considering their music is actually quite different.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:41 AM

711 posts, read 1,137,606 times
I don't believe that Beyonce would have been "AS" popular as she is now had Aaliyah still been alive. While Aaliyah wasn't a powerhouse in terms of her voice, I think what appealed to the most about her back in the 90's was her personality. She was very approachable and very down to earth. folks felt comfortable in her presence.

Beyonce tries too hard to be "on" and "perfect" all of the time. That's not real and that's why alot of folks can't relate to her. So, in addition to her wonderful music and dance moves, Aaliyah had a sweet, yet approachable personality that folks enjoyed being around. And, that would have made Aaliyah stand out and reach a far higher level of popularity over Beyonce.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post
I don't believe that Beyonce would have been "AS" popular as she is now had Aaliyah still been alive. While Aaliyah wasn't a powerhouse in terms of her voice, I think what appealed to the most about her back in the 90's was her personality. She was very approachable and very down to earth. folks felt comfortable in her presence.

Beyonce tries too hard to be "on" and "perfect" all of the time. That's not real and that's why alot of folks can't relate to her. So, in addition to her wonderful music and dance moves, Aaliyah had a sweet, yet approachable personality that folks enjoyed being around. And, that would have made Aaliyah stand out and reach a far higher level of popularity over Beyonce.
I don't really recall her having that much personality; she reminded me of Ciara. Plus, Aaliyah most like would've changed once she reached the level of Beyonce. Beyonce use to be really down to earth and nice, but that changed as she became more successful. Look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnBMWN4aw30

Beyonce was already making a name for herself and had a large fanbase prior to Aaliyah dying. I don't see how having Aaliyah around would've affected Beyonce's career. She didn't even have the international success like Beyonce.

Btw, I much prefer Aaliyah's music, but I think she is people hype her up too much and no one really started riding for her until her death. I feel Brandy and Monica were more popular than her during those times anyway.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I don't really recall her having that much personality; she reminded me of Ciara. Plus, Aaliyah most like would've changed once she reached the level of Beyonce. Beyonce use to be really down to earth and nice, but that changed as she became more successful. Look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnBMWN4aw30
Yeah that's what everyone be saying Ciara is reminded of Aaliyah because of the slight tom-boy image and dance moves. You're right about Aaliyah would've change when she reached Beyonce level. Honestly, both of them are very down to earth.

Quote:
Beyonce was already making a name for herself and had a large fanbase prior to Aaliyah dying. I don't see how having Aaliyah around would've affected Beyonce's career. She didn't even have the international success like Beyonce
LoL, now let's not forget that Aaliyah music career started in 94 & Destiny Child (Beyonce) music career started in 97/98. When Destiny Child (Beyonce) first came out in 97 or 98, Aaliyah was already making a name for herself because when her second album "One In A Million" released in 96 I think, that album gave her the opportunity to have a successful career. Btw, Aaliyah had a huge fanbase in the 90's because she worked with popular artists like Ginuwine, R.Kelly, Timbaland & Magoo, Junior Mafia, Missy Elliot, DMX, etc. I would say Beyonce started to have a hugh fanbase right after Aaliyah death, everyone was getting to know about Destiny Child in the late 90's/early 2000's and the members of the group wasn't getting along at the time. As for International success, Ok, I give you that one.

Quote:
Btw, I much prefer Aaliyah's music, but I think she is people hype her up too much and no one really started riding for her until her death. I feel Brandy and Monica were more popular than her during those times anyway.
Yes, Brandy were really, really, really popular in the 90's because of her tv shows, music, and movies. Monica wasn't that popular in my opinion and you're right about alot of folks started riding for Aaliyah until her death but you can say the samething for Biggie & Tupac.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post
Yeah that's what everyone be saying Ciara is reminded of Aaliyah because of the slight tom-boy image and dance moves. You're right about Aaliyah would've change when she reached Beyonce level. Honestly, both of them are very down to earth.

LoL, now let's not forget that Aaliyah music career started in 94 & Destiny Child (Beyonce) music career started in 97/98. When Destiny Child (Beyonce) first came out in 97 or 98, Aaliyah was already making a name for herself because when her second album "One In A Million" released in 96 I think, that album gave her the opportunity to have a successful career. Btw, Aaliyah had a huge fanbase in the 90's because she worked with popular artists like Ginuwine, R.Kelly, Timbaland & Magoo, Junior Mafia, Missy Elliot, DMX, etc. I would say Beyonce started to have a hugh fanbase right after Aaliyah death, everyone was getting to know about Destiny Child in the late 90's/early 2000's and the members of the group wasn't getting along at the time. As for International success, Ok, I give you that one.
Well, lets not kid ourselves. That group should have been called Beyonce and the other two girls, lol.

Beyonce had a fanbase because she was the star of the group and prior to Aaliyah's death; she had already teamed up with Jay Z.

Quote:
Yes, Brandy were really, really, really popular in the 90's because of her tv shows, music, and movies. Monica wasn't that popular in my opinion and you're right about alot of folks started riding for Aaliyah until her death but you can say the samething for Biggie & Tupac.
Yeah, I guess you are right about Monica. She didn't really get recognition until she did the 'Boy is mine" with Brandy. I also agree with the Biggie and Tupac thing.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Well, lets not kid ourselves. That group should have been called Beyonce and the other two girls, lol. Beyonce had a fanbase because she was the star of the group and prior to Aaliyah's death; she had already teamed up with Jay Z.
Haha.

Quote:
Yeah, I guess you are right about Monica. She didn't really get recognition until she did the 'Boy is mine" with Brandy.
I agree.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:34 AM

18,356 posts, read 31,432,361 times
I hate both their voices.
If they were ugly they would be nowhere.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:53 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,143,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I hate both their voices.
If they were ugly they would be nowhere.
Strongly disagree with your first sentence, in agreement with your second sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities