Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:15 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,909,000 times

Advertisements

I work shift work so I don't get to watch consistently and I don't record shows--but I've noticed lately that Letterman can't get a coherent sentence put together without stumbling and stammering over his words- I thought he might be having a stroke the other night talking to Brian Williams-is he sick or just too old or both? Has anyone else noticed this- is it something new or has he always stammered so badly? It was incredibly distracting- I felt bad for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 05:32 AM

746 posts, read 1,671,576 times
I definitely just think he's getting old, and he's tired of the shtick. I mean he's basically like a tour guide now, most of his audience are tourists from other parts of Can/USA.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:22 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,546,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
I work shift work so I don't get to watch consistently and I don't record shows--but I've noticed lately that Letterman can't get a coherent sentence put together without stumbling and stammering over his words- I thought he might be having a stroke the other night talking to Brian Williams-is he sick or just too old or both? Has anyone else noticed this- is it something new or has he always stammered so badly? It was incredibly distracting- I felt bad for him.
he's really lost his mojo over the last 5 or so years. He's basically become a grumpy old man (never was friendly to most of his guests) and yet there's this soft side since he's had his kid. I noticed he really loves to talk to or mention family to the majority of people he interviews, which is all good and well, but he used to be funny with an edge and instead it's like some sanitized Tom Snyder interview, again nothing really wrong with that but that's not really the focus of such a late night show IMO.

this has been talked about before.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:00 PM

9,732 posts, read 9,679,656 times
Letterman probably no longer prepares for his interviews. He shows up for the taping and asks "Who is the guest?" at the door. Unless he is genuinely interested in the guest, he just goes through the motions.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:07 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,866,508 times
I've never been into his show. I think he's going the way of Larry King.

Some of these media types are on television for *waaaay* too long (Barbara Walters comes to mind). They get out of touch.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:21 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,717,551 times
he's still better than anyone else on this type show. I don't think it's the hosts that are long in the tooth; I think it's this type show.
Letterman still has the quick wit and dry sense of humor that is genius over that of the "others".
The interview he did a couple weeks back with Robert De Niro and Dustin Hoffman (at the same time) was brilliant!

Old 01-06-2011, 08:24 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,909,000 times
The interview he did a couple weeks back with Robert De Niro and Dustin Hoffman (at the same time) was brilliant!

Brilliant? Did we watch the same interview? I thought it was pathetic- there was more dead air than anything- it was like Letterman took a nap in the middle of the interview and let them interview each other-i was uncomfortable for all 3 of them-it was painful to watch.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:54 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,717,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post

Brilliant? Did we watch the same interview? I thought it was pathetic- there was more dead air than anything- it was like Letterman took a nap in the middle of the interview and let them interview each other-i was uncomfortable for all 3 of them-it was painful to watch.
your opinion and you're entitled to it-as am I.
I thought it was hilarious! De Niro is known for not giving anything in an interview but Letterman took him on and Dustin Hoffman was freaking hilarious.
Guess our sense of humor differs

Old 01-06-2011, 09:31 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,389,201 times
Ever since the scandal with the female interns in the secret man cave, he's gone downhill.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:04 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,285,866 times
Default Letterman is still Letterman

I think he is still at the top of his game. Unfortunately, with the new generation of viewers, it's the VIEWERS who prefer inferior talent, trite, mindless babble, and stupid humor or other TV personalities. I think he also finds the new generation of stars nothing to get excited about and he's right.

Glad he's still around. Who the hell wants to watch yet another mindless TV personality with that fast-talking, rapid-fire delivery so common now? Talking fast and rapid-fire does not equate to being entertaining or funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities