Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 05:20 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Today’s Talker: Aguilera botches Star Spangled Banner | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

I personally get tired of singers doing the vocal acrobatics!! Turning one word into a paragraph. They keep making these into "Look At Me" moments. Then she botches it....
My husband calls them "yodelers". This is the first time I have seen this and I am not impressed. Her voice is not pretty, she does not have a good range. She barely hits "free" and has to drop down immediately. It's funny how when you take away all the electronic enhancement from many of these so-called singers, they become extremely ordinary. I have heard better versions at local events sung by high schoolers.

This one is much better (and she even knows the words!) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNL8Z_7gDm0http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNL8Z_7gDm0

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 05:25 PM

105 posts, read 188,001 times
Was it just me or did she look a tad heavy? I've always thought of her as being very tiny and I just thought she seemed a bit thick and trying to cover it up dressed all in black.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:25 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
It was a sad version of the song. I thought it was pathetic.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:03 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
An honest mistake and I thought nothing of it. Even if she sang it perfectly, someone would have something negative to say about it.

I was more focused on the game. Glad I missed all the pre-game hype.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:09 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
An honest mistake and I thought nothing of it. Even if she sang it perfectly, someone would have something negative to say about it.

I was more focused on the game. Glad I missed all the pre-game hype.
She is a professional performer being paid great money. If I am shelling out that kind of money I want it sung right. On key, and with the right words.

As a professional signer I'd want to have it done right... With all eyes and ears I don't want to earn a Roseanne barr reputation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls1YVhcLD2c

Old 02-07-2011, 07:34 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I usually always notice when someone goofs the national anthem, but I was just so amazed with her voice that it totally slipped my mind. That girl has the best voice of ALL female singers alive.
Really? Guess a lot of female singers died without me realizing. I hate that I missed Celine Dion's funeral; I love her. And poor Mariah died before her twins were born. How sad.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:44 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,235 times
Lol @ natalay, christina has one of the best voices... vocally she's top 5.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:49 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Really? Guess a lot of female singers died without me realizing. I hate that I missed Celine Dion's funeral; I love her. And poor Mariah died before her twins were born. How sad.
Mariah doesnt have it anymore. Her voice died not long after Whitney Houston's voice. I'll give you Celine Dion and even old Patti Labelle's voice is still great, but, with that being said, Christina Blows the rest of the world away. Really, she does.

Although, I saw Pink do an acapella version of "Me And Bobby McGee" live at Clive Davis' party a few years back and IT WAS AWESOME. Standing ovation from all legends in the industry. She's better than Mariah now. Mariah is like Shaq. Was at one time one of the greatest, but now, a mere shell of her former self.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:09 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Mariah doesnt have it anymore. Her voice died not long after Whitney Houston's voice. I'll give you Celine Dion and even old Patti Labelle's voice is still great, but, with that being said, Christina Blows the rest of the world away. Really, she does.

Although, I saw Pink do an acapella version of "Me And Bobby McGee" live at Clive Davis' party a few years back and IT WAS AWESOME. Standing ovation from all legends in the industry. She's better than Mariah now. Mariah is like Shaq. Was at one time one of the greatest, but now, a mere shell of her former self.
Okay you meant that are still performing. When you said alive I was a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchas View Post
Lol @ natalay, christina has one of the best voices... vocally she's top 5.
Yeah she does have a beautiful voice but I don't think she's the best alive. I don't know who I would say is but I don't think it's her.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:11 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,527,800 times
Don't they usually say something like please rise and join in singing our National Anthem? Who can sing along with that? I really don't care for singers putting their own spin on songs anyway, but if there's one song they shouldn't do it to, it's the Star Spangled Banner. It's hard enough to sing in the first place.

If they want a singer putting their own spin on it, why not hire Weird Al? At least it would be entertaining!

It did seem kind of self indulgent, too, which isn't how I normally think of her. As far as her messing up the words, she did it full on, never faltered, as if nothing happened, like a true pro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities