Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 07:42 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,202,988 times

Advertisements

She is the third in the line of recent celebrities to pass away--Jack LaLanne and Jane Russell having preceded her in recent months. Sadly, I think she is close to being the last one of her era of movie STARS--none of the present group of those in the entertainment field come even close to having the class of that group. Olivia deHavilland may be the only one left alive from that era.

A retired nurse friend of mine knew Elizabeth Taylor as a patient many decades ago when she was an in-patient at a California hospital. He said she was a pleasure to take care of--she was not demanding and both she and her then husband, Richard Burton, treated everyone with kindness and respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:51 AM

18,209 posts, read 25,843,605 times
Cucunu Beach is right. Taylor was one of the huge stars of the silver screen in her era. Good call on DiHaviland, at 94 years of age she undoubtedly is the last one.

Talk about an illustrious career, being involved in motion pictures going back to when FDR was president. Elizabeth Taylor was class.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:22 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,540,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
enjoyed that! She was so beautiful--stunningly beautiful.
However,man that outfit she had on was not suitable for a 22 year old. More for one much older.
That outfit was very chic for a 22 year old in that time.....it was classy and very chic. Geez....How old are you? Just because young women bounce around half naked today, doesn't mean that's how a 22 year old should dress back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gR-vU44gd4

Last edited by citizenkane2; 03-24-2011 at 09:11 AM..

Old 03-24-2011, 08:25 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,776,939 times
She isn't American (although made it big in American movies) but it seems to me that Sophia Loren could be the last big star. Lauren Bacall and Debby Reynolds are still around as well. True none of them was quite as big as Taylor. Taylor was in the same class as Jackie and Marilyn.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:16 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Oh how sad. My aunt just happened to be walking down Michigan Ave in Chicago one day when she saw Taylor sitting in a parked limosine. This was back in the 60's.

Mt aunt was just stunned by Taylor's beauty in person. She said the neither film nor still photos did her justice.

Elizabeth Taylor was the last of the gusty, galmorous dames.
I saw her several times in person over a span of years. She was stunning.

One thing that always impressed me was how she treated people. When she was married to Larry Fortensky they used to go to a BBQ place that was just a hole-in-the wall frequented by neighborhood folk and construction workers. Someone I knew used to see her there and he said she came in and expected to be treated like everyone else. No, "I'm a celebrity!" Just paper napkins, and a few dirty jokes and a lunch time spent like she lived down the street.

I saw her on stage in "Little Foxes". The audience let out a huge, collective gasp when she made her entrance. Her *Presence* was stunning. She came on stage and it was, "OMG this is a STAR!"

And for what she did to educate the world on AIDS/HIV and for the money she raised..."God bless you, Elizabeth!"

Old 03-24-2011, 10:17 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,294,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
She isn't American (although made it big in American movies) but it seems to me that Sophia Loren could be the last big star. Lauren Bacall and Debby Reynolds are still around as well. True none of them was quite as big as Taylor. Taylor was in the same class as Jackie and Marilyn.
Sophia Loren is my next very-close second screen idol (after Liz). although I was an adult before I opened my eyes to her.

There is Ann-Margaret, too. Her acting wasn't in the same level as Taylor and Loren, but she was very beautiful and could sing and dance. And she's become a great actress in later years. I've always considered Ann the last of the great classic screen beauties.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
That outfit was very chic for a 22 year old in that time.....it was classy and very chic. Geez....How old are you? Just because young women bounce around half naked today, doesn't mean that's how a 22 year old should dress back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gR-vU44gd4

That was a maternity outfit!!!

(She was pregnant.)

Old 03-24-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
You are right. How could I forget Lauren Bacall and Debbie Reynolds? Both of them classy ladies.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:00 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,512,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
You are right. How could I forget Lauren Bacall and Debbie Reynolds? Both of them classy ladies.
Cunucu thanks for the reminder I had completely forgotten about those ladiesAll classy in my book

Old 03-24-2011, 02:05 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,693 times
The actresses/stars of today can barely hold a candle to Liz. She was one of those rare creatures that was blessed by God with true beauty - both inside and out. She could literally make me gasp at how beautiful she was in just a slip in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. No plastic surgery or needles required to enhance this lady!

She also lived life in a way I admire. At times recklessly and to excess - but seriously - you only get one shot. Enjoy it. Liz seems to have lived following this quote and had a great time doing it. Rest in Peace - you were one in a million!

“Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well-preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting ‘Geronimo!!!’”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities