Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2016, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 8,008 times

Advertisements

I ran into Rosie O'Donnell in the store a couple of times when she lived in the area. I was never a fan but she seemed nice enough.

My wife and I sat next to actress Didi Conn in a diner. She was having lunch with her son who has special needs. You could tell she's a really nice person. Very sweet to everyone.

Dennis DeYoung (former lead singer of STYX) - He's either very quiet or somewhat aloof, I couldn't tell which. I found it surprising since he is so gregarious in interviews.

Barry Bostwick - I actually got to know Barry because our sons were the same age and they both belonged to a group that included a lot of parent interaction. This was about 10 years ago. We spent quite a bit of time together and did some minor socializing as well. It was was kind of cool to have a celebrity "friend". I got to see a bit of what it's like to be stopped by fans while walking through the mall and having people staring at you. He wasn't of level where he'd have people mobbing him of course, but he'd get interrupted often enough where I could see it would get old. He's a very nice guy and a good dad. Totally unpretentious and had no problem keeping up with the rest of us who were all 20 years younger. He enjoyed interacting with fans and appreciated that they were the basis of his success...he was always accommodating. We would try to get him to dish out info on some of the people he knew or worked with. I think he had a policy of "if you can't say something good, say nothing at all" because he never had a bad word or offered any gossip about anyone. He likes to work and if you check out his IMDB you see he keeps busy - he does projects of widely varying quality. He did explain a lot of the business end to us and it was interesting stuff. He eventually moved back to the west coast because there was more opportunity and he gave us all his new address with an open offer to visit. We exchanged a few emails in the years after but eventually lost touch.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 11:25 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times
During college in the early 1990s, I worked part-time at a Chicago hotel and here are some of the celebrities I remember...

Sting - energetic, friendly and talkative to staff. Asked a lot of questions about sightseeing/activities.

Prince - mysterious, aloof and surrounded by entourage. Wore sunglasses and didn't talk to anyone.

Paula Abdul - hurried and surrounded by entourage, but made eye contact and smiled at people.

New Kids On The Block - These guys (including the Wahlbergs) just hung out at our hotel bar for much of the time before/after their shows. They were super down-to-earth and friendly and were drinking/talking with everyone.

Cindy Crawford - quiet but friendly and just unbelievably, jaw-droppingly beautiful (no air-brushing needed). She sat at a bar table with Richerd Gere, but I did not talk to him.

Hulk Hogan - one of the nicest, friendliest people to the staff, and especially to the kids who recognized him. He was joking and fake wrestling around with everyone.

Charles Kuralt - didn't really know who this newsman was at the time, but I had a conversation with him and he stands out as one of the nicest, most gracious people I have ever met.

YoYo Ma - outgoing, friendly and funny, which I hadn't expected from a cellist.

Larry Byrd - extremely loudmouthed, cocky and rude to the staff. I'm not sure if that was part of some bad boy image, but he was completely obnoxious.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:01 PM

230 posts, read 173,197 times
Hands down the nicest celeb I met was Shaq!! He picked me up and let me kiss him on the cheek!

Old 01-04-2017, 11:01 AM

8,307 posts, read 13,439,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny DeSurf View Post
Hands down the nicest celeb I met was Shaq!! He picked me up and let me kiss him on the cheek!
Did he put you down afterwards or is he still carrying you around cluelessly?

Old 01-08-2017, 04:06 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,648,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
During college in the early 1990s, I worked part-time at a Chicago hotel and here are some of the celebrities I remember...

Sting - energetic, friendly and talkative to staff. Asked a lot of questions about sightseeing/activities.

Prince - mysterious, aloof and surrounded by entourage. Wore sunglasses and didn't talk to anyone.

Paula Abdul - hurried and surrounded by entourage, but made eye contact and smiled at people.

New Kids On The Block - These guys (including the Wahlbergs) just hung out at our hotel bar for much of the time before/after their shows. They were super down-to-earth and friendly and were drinking/talking with everyone.

Cindy Crawford - quiet but friendly and just unbelievably, jaw-droppingly beautiful (no air-brushing needed). She sat at a bar table with Richerd Gere, but I did not talk to him.

Hulk Hogan - one of the nicest, friendliest people to the staff, and especially to the kids who recognized him. He was joking and fake wrestling around with everyone.

Charles Kuralt - didn't really know who this newsman was at the time, but I had a conversation with him and he stands out as one of the nicest, most gracious people I have ever met.

YoYo Ma - outgoing, friendly and funny, which I hadn't expected from a cellist.

Larry Byrd - extremely loudmouthed, cocky and rude to the staff. I'm not sure if that was part of some bad boy image, but he was completely obnoxious.
Sting would have to be cool!

Old 01-09-2017, 11:04 PM

6 posts, read 8,882 times
gary doudan

Old 04-06-2017, 08:26 PM

3,223 posts, read 10,096,881 times
I wonder if anyone has ever met Don Felder (former guitarist of the Eagles who IMO was wrongfully fired)? If so what was it like meeting him?

Old 04-27-2017, 11:57 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoman58 View Post
I've had a few encounters of my own but first I'll pass along some tidbits from people close to me:

From a friend who worked for the CBS News Division:

The following were or are highly regarded by the people that worked there.

Bob Schieffer
Charles Osgood
Mika Brzezinsky
John Roberts
Scott Pelley

Katie Couric had a rep for being difficult. I met her myself with a small group and she didn't seem please with the intrusion, but in her defense it was an intrusion - she was preparing for her broadcast.

Another friend worked for a number years in both News and Entertainment at ABC. His blanket statement was that the vast majority of the many, many celebrities that passed through were normal, polite people making their living. A few standouts that I remember him talking specifically about:

Billy Joel - very friendly

Bruce Springsteen - Subdued, quiet but friendly and accommodating

Steven VanZandt - funny, nice man

Regis Philbin & Kelly Ripa - Not overly friendly, but not rude or anything negative.

Diane Sawyer - Kind of aloof.

Elizabeth Vargas - Nobody liked her, was called Elizab*tch behind her back. (This disappointed me greatly)

Peter Jennings - Superior attitude. One time he made a rude comment to my friend and my friend decided to shoot back with a snarky comment about something Jennings was wearing that night. Jennings got a real kick out of the fact that someone had the balls to take him on and from then on they would take friendly snipes at each other, so he enjoyed his interaction with him. He also made it sound like he was one a few who could get away with it.

Neil Diamond - Before he entered the hallway, everyone was instructed to face the wall and not look at him. What more can you say about that?

Finally, my niece was a hostess at restaurant if Florida when Adam Sandler came in with a large group. He was riding high at the box office at that time. He asked to be put in an area where there wouldn't be any intrusions and to please not be making calls to friends that he was there. He was very nice to the staff and he tipped very generously.
I've only seen a few clips of Mr. VanZandt's performance as Silvio Dante on The Sopranos but I was so captivated by him that I intend to watch the entire series. I saw an interview where he describes how he got the part and my respect for him skyrocketed. He and Paul Schaeffer are two guys I'd go out of my way to say hello to if I ever saw them.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:01 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
I grew up on Long Island in close proximity to NYC. In 1972 I was 17 years old dating a 16 year old, two crazy high school kids. Back then in NY the drinking age was 18 but many places would serve you even underage. I took my date into the city to see Grease in its original run on Broadway. Arriving early I said lets go to Sardi's for a drink. Sat at the bar and ordered 7 and 7's. She went to the bathroom and while she is gone who comes in but Soupy Sales, Bill Cullen, Gary Moore, Peggy Cass and Kitty Carlisle, the cast from To Tell the Truth on dinner break. Soupy sat next to me and I introduced myself and said I was on a date and looking to impress the girl, when she comes back could you act like you know me. Upon her return he turns to me and says "Bob, how the hell are you". Introductions all around and he buys us a drink. Told the girlfriend that he was a friend of the family.

15 years later....

I am out of college and grad school and run into the girl from high school and start dating her. About 6 months in my sister is getting married and I ask her to be my date to the wedding. She quickly asks if Soupy Sales will be in attendance. Caught in a 15 year lie I told her he couldn't make it but sent a lovely gift. At the reception we are sitting at the table with my Mom and Dad. She turns to my Mom and comments on the reception and says "it's a shame Soupy Sales couldn't make it". I dragged her out on to the dance floor just as my mother said, "why the hell would Soupy Sales be here".

Oh what a tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive.
I applaud this post. Hilarious and well-told.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:31 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,320,674 times
Anyone else meet any celebrities?

I never did but saw Edward James Olmos at Disney World. He apparently wasn't trying to avoid being noticed because he was wearing a NBC (IIRC) studio jacket. Someone I communicated with claimed Patrick Duffy is a nice guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities