Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2018, 07:42 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times

Advertisements

OK.... looked through the thread and I have not posted this story.....

Years ago, I was a huge Nickelback fan..... I loved, and still do, The State, Silver Side Up and a lot of All the Right Reasons...... They completely lost me with Dark Horse and I have no idea what they have done since......

In any case, a friend and I went to Kansas City to see what was supposed to be the last show of the All The Right Reasons tour... they had been on tour for this album for two years already..... and I had traveled all over the midwest and into Texas to see shows..... I think I have 25 or 26 NB shows under my belt...... shush, haters!!

After the show, about a half dozen of us found the buses behind this KC venue and we hung around until the guys started coming out..... this was when you could do that.....

They had had a HUGE celebration for the last show of the tour back stage before they came out and Chad Kroeger was absolutely soaked in beer, champagne, liquor and whatever when he came out..... but he was so kind and hung out with us for quite a while..... even talked on my phone to a friend of mine in San Antonio, Texas..... he seemed to just want to hang out and chat with "civilians." His security started trying to usher us along and he just kept chatting with us..... been so long, don't even remember what we talked about, but it was every day, mundane stuff....he did remember seeing some of us on the rail at various concerts and I do remember that he was tired and just ready to go home and chill for a while....

talking on my phone to my friend in San Antonio and no, that is not me standing next to him:

fast forward another year...... after a bit of rest, they went back out on tour..... and once again, KC was the last show..... but a totally different experience this time..... the buses were roped off and there a LOT more people waiting by them..... .of course, these days, you can't get within 50 yards of the buses.....

In any case, Nickelback had been getting a lot of press over this year and Chad Kroeger had changed hugely..... he could barely be bothered to acknowledge his fans..... Daniel Adair the drummer and Chad's brother Mike, who is the bassist, were still pretty cool and could not believe how many of the shows some of us had been to..... although they did acknowledge us from the stage when we were there...... and Mike would talk to me from the stage as well as he could and make sure we had water and were taken care of.......

Chad Kroeger's (Turton's) vision was to appeal to as big a slice of the population as possible..... and he has succeeded admirably....

Last edited by latetotheparty; 07-06-2018 at 07:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 02:28 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,355,774 times
I got chatting with Cyril Jordan (Flamin' Groovies) before a show he was doing in SF - a really nice guy. After the show he invited me backstage, where I met the other musicians who'd been playing that evening, including Clem Burke (Blondie) and, big thrill, Powell St. John, who'd written songs for the 13th Floor Elevators.

Old 07-07-2018, 05:14 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,438,347 times
When Robert F. Kennedy was preparing to run for POTUS, he appeared at a rally not far from my home town. My high school was named for his late brother, so he had requested that our high school band, of which I was a member, come to play at the rally.

We were seated right on stage, next to the podium where he spoke. He was very charismatic, I still remember the energy at that rally. After the rally, he took the time to thank the band for being there, and shook the hand of every band member. He also said something personal to each band member. I can’t remember what he said to me, all of us smalltown, middle-of-nowhere kids were pretty overwhelmed by this.

The school newspaper went on the schoolbus to the rally with the band. My high school boyfriend was a photographer for the paper, so he was there and took a photo of Kennedy that appeared not only in the school newpaper, but also in our town newspaper and the nationally known newspaper of the big city we lived closest to. He gave me a copy of that photo and I still have it.

RFK was assassinated about 4 months after this, to my memory.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:44 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Larry View Post
Muhammad Ali was doing a celeb horse race at Maywood Park racetrack in 1979. I was 17 at the time and climbed a barb wire fence to get into the barn/backstretch area to try to get closer. I found him with only bodyguards and reporters there and he stopped everything to speak to me. No stranger had ever asked me "what's your name son" and then he signed an autograph that read "To Larry best wishes Muhammed Ali". As a child I never thought I would become a racist person but a few incidents prior to that had started to make me become that way. My encounter with the CHAMP had a life changing effect on me, the most famous man in the world took a minute to reach out to a young white kid and I was just blown away. I shed many tears when he passed away especially when hearing many others tell similar stories of his kindness. I have tears right now as I write this and have always thought about what a little kindness can do to change the world.

My friend had a similar interaction with Ali at the St. Louis airport. The Champ was a class act.

In the 80s, I worked at a major concert venue in Florida and had a chance to meet several artists.

Don Henley ate all his meals with the crew and just wanted to be one of the boys.

Janet Jackson was super laid back and sweet.

David Bowie was perhaps the most enthusiastic and professional person I've ever met.

Gloria Estefan was very friendly and approachable.

Kenny Rodgers was friendly and seemed like he was having a good time.

Billy Joel was so unassuming I didn't even recognize him. Nice guy.

The Backstreet Boys were kind of jerks but I attribute that to being young and famous more than anything else.

I honestly don't know how the artists and their crew can do live concerts night after night. Setting up and tearing down a big show is a tremendous amount of work

Old 07-07-2018, 03:05 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
When Robert F. Kennedy was preparing to run for POTUS, he appeared at a rally not far from my home town. My high school was named for his late brother, so he had requested that our high school band, of which I was a member, come to play at the rally.

We were seated right on stage, next to the podium where he spoke. He was very charismatic, I still remember the energy at that rally. After the rally, he took the time to thank the band for being there, and shook the hand of every band member. He also said something personal to each band member. I can’t remember what he said to me, all of us smalltown, middle-of-nowhere kids were pretty overwhelmed by this.

The school newspaper went on the schoolbus to the rally with the band. My high school boyfriend was a photographer for the paper, so he was there and took a photo of Kennedy that appeared not only in the school newpaper, but also in our town newspaper and the nationally known newspaper of the big city we lived closest to. He gave me a copy of that photo and I still have it.

RFK was assassinated about 4 months after this, to my memory.
My mother said he was at the Courthouse of the city we grew up in. I think she went to see him. I was kind of young then so I wouldn't remember anything anyways.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,224 times
Smile Nicest/meanest Celbrity I met

My brother’s then-bride has a family who have easy contact with government officials, and Terry McAuliffe was the guy who married them (or however you put it. The other Virginia senator (other than Tim Kaine) was there, too. I didn’t know who this other senator is, so, I don’t know if I saw him or not. Anyway, McAuliffe did a good job being just a regular Joe who was invited. I was 16 at the time, (I’m 17 now.) and I just saw him and suggested a food that I liked. He took my word for it, in spite of the fact that I was a little less than a fourth of his age. And he took a picture with me and my sister (I cropped her out when she sent it to me). Weirdest thing of all? Donald Trump was just inaugurated as POTUS/Leader of the Free World, and I was (and still am) a big time Deplorable. Terry McAuliffe, however was not. Ever.- Anyway, he was nice, but being a Governor, he couldn’t talk like the first guy to submit did with someone at IHOP (it will always be the International House of Pancakes to me). Nice, but not able to hang out, or anything because there were a few hundred people at the wedding.

As of the rudest celebrity I met? That’s Terry McAuliffe. Not because our politics clash or anything, although that’s very true. I just haven’t met any other celebrities. 😶 And at this rate, going to a Bon Jovi concert will be considered “meeting” him.
Spoiler
He’s funny at his concerts. He was introducing the crowd to the rest of the band, and he started comparing David Bryan (the pianist) to a bunch of other people, and then he suggested David Bryan was as good as Elton John and then he shouted “NAW! ELTON JOHN CAN SAY WHATEVER THE F*** HE WANTS!” and after either “Who Says You Can’t Go Home” or “God Bless This Mess” he yelled “I’M GETTING TOO OLD FOR THIS S***!!!” Which is how he typically sounds when he’s not on the stage.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:33 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,187,868 times
I ran into Willie Nelson one night in a club I worked at (I had just finished work) and we stood around drinking a beer and chatting. That was kinda cool.

I worked in a dry cleaner (drove the truck) in the day time, and we had done his laundry that morning. He was wearing the old T-Shirt I delivered to him at his hotel earlier that day.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:16 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
whoever it was that sent me the DM.....I would consider gold and platinum record selling bands celebrities.....

I know that Nickelback is hugely divisive..... and even I have moved on as they have gotten progressively more pedestrian..... but at that time, and probably even now, they are celebrities......

Old 07-30-2018, 09:01 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
My husband's Mother owned a home in NY state. It was an old historic home close to a then Movie Director. He had actors come up and visit him, consult, stay w/ him, whatever. My husband's grandmother met Christopher Reeve (pre disability) while walking to the mailbox one day. He must have introduced himself, but she didn't know him (or care, LOL). Paul Newman had visited there, too--not sure they met him though. And, a singer from the 70's who I forgot at the moment.

I went to a Shawn Colvin concert in Lenox, Mass. and this was before she was well known...90 or 91'ish. While someone else was playing, she came in our aisle and sat down on seat at very end. She was small, petite. I didn't make a scene, LOL, just interesting to see her close up.
I find the bolded especially interesting. In the post below your post above, JoReLo mentions how nice Phyllis Diller was in her interactions with her. I agree. Some friends of our family were neighbors to Phyllis Diller for years. While visiting, our friend would sometimes ask me to get the mail. A few times I ran into Phyllis Diller while walking to the mailbox, and briefly chatted with her each time. Like was likely with Christopher Reeve, she introduced herself the first time. Our friends were fond of her .

Old 07-31-2018, 10:49 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,187,868 times
Speaking of Phyllis Diller, I brought her home to use the phone when her (well, Harrah's) Rolls Royce got stuck in the snow. She sat around and had coffee with my parents while waiting for another car to come and fetch her. She was wearing a skull-cap, full length fur coat and Chuck Taylor's.

It was a Saturday afternoon, and "Chiller Diller Theater" (cheesy horror movies) was on the TV. She got a kick out of that.

Gave my folks some tickets to her show that night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities