Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 06:29 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times

Advertisements

I was at an event with Prince Charles in Dallas in 1986; lasted a little over an hour. He was engaging, animated, energetic, articulate, polite, asked questions of everyone, seemed interested in their responses. He just flat charmed the socks off all present.

Watched Tom Cruise a couple of days while he was filming a movie in New Orleans. He appeared genuinely nice and down-to-earth, joked and chatted a lot with the crew and extras, signed a lot of autographs and smiled and made small talk with most who asked. He was good with their kids, went out of his way to cut up with them.

Trailed Lady Bird Johnson around a few times while she was shopping in the 70's - as close as the Secret Service would let me get, anyway. She was well known for being a charming, polite person and sure enough that's what I saw in her transactions both with the retail folks and the Secret Service. What most folks don't realize was what a stunning beauty she was, just gorgeous. She didn't photograph well at all but in person, she was a knockout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 06:35 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,785,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I was at an event with Prince Charles in Dallas in 1986; lasted a little over an hour. He was engaging, animated, energetic, articulate, polite, asked questions of everyone, seemed interested in their responses. He just flat charmed the socks off all present.

Watched Tom Cruise a couple of days while he was filming a movie in New Orleans. He appeared genuinely nice and down-to-earth, joked and chatted a lot with the crew and extras, signed a lot of autographs and smiled and made small talk with most who asked. He was good with their kids, went out of his way to cut up with them.

Trailed Lady Bird Johnson around a few times while she was shopping in the 70's - as close as the Secret Service would let me get, anyway. She was well known for being a charming, polite person and sure enough that's what I saw in her transactions both with the retail folks and the Secret Service. What most folks don't realize was what a stunning beauty she was, just gorgeous. She didn't photograph well at all but in person, she was a knockout.

nice to know about Prince Charles. I would never have thought he was that way after his treatment of Diana.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:39 PM

361 posts, read 748,152 times
Nicest - Orson Bean and Jack Nicklaus.

Rudest - Art Garfunkel, and Keith Olbermann.

(You said "met", right ?)

Old 03-16-2013, 01:50 AM

580 posts, read 964,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post

Art Garfunkel? I wouldn't have guessed.

If you catch them at the right time some of the celebrities on Twitter are pretty nice. That's the closest interactions I've had with anyone other than the one mentioned. The biggest thing though is that they follow a lot of people and have a lot of followers so timing has to be perfect.

Oh and some of the authors that are on Twitter. Talking some of them up might actually get you on one of their lists. I was on this author's "talkative people" list for a while. I forget who.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:18 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I don't remember any rude ones except Pat Travers.. does anyone even know who he is though? I have run into local TV folks and the male news guys seem to be more likely than not to be asses.
His mother in law was our realtor when we bought our house.
Haven't followed him in a while but he used to play the local clubs here in Orlando. He might still...I'll have to look him up.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:00 PM

110 posts, read 202,697 times
I have not met any rude celebs, fortunately. But I remember working at Six Flags during high school, and Drew Barrymore was filming Fever Pitch at the park. She'd been filming for a number of hours and it was a very hot day as well. A bunch of my coworkers and I had finished work and were waiting at the bus stop when Drew walked out. She was finished filming for the day, and just came over and started shooting the breeze with us. She was very nice and pretty funny too.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,530,211 times
I have met: Deion Sanders, real cool and crazy! Esther Rolle a few years ago at a luncheon in Asheville, NC. She laughed, talked, and was very expressive. Winton Marsailus (excuse spelling). He was a real jokester! Pro wrestler Ric Flair, could have talked to him all day long! He was actually a humble man.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:06 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
I have met: Deion Sanders, real cool and crazy! Esther Rolle a few years ago at a luncheon in Asheville, NC. She laughed, talked, and was very expressive. Winton Marsailus (excuse spelling). He was a real jokester! Pro wrestler Ric Flair, could have talked to him all day long! He was actually a humble man.
We pass by his house in Prosper whenever we're headed up to the lake. We always joke that Deion is always bugging us to stop by but we're just too much in a hurry. His property is INCREDIBLE.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:48 PM

157 posts, read 574,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post

Maybe Art Garfunkel was having an off day...

I don't meet many celebs, but years ago, an ex-boyfriend and I met him at a club as Art was managing the band who played there.

He was very quiet, but very nice to those who approached the table he was sitting at (the one pushed next to ours). He didn't even snarl when some people asked him for his autograph...for their mothers!

Old 03-31-2013, 04:21 PM

18,455 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Jerry Garcia was a great guy. I used to deliver food to him back when I was in graduate school in CA.

Spending my summers in The Hamptons, I run into a lot of celebrities. Also, I am on the board of a charity where we have many celebrity supporters. The ones who live in my neighborhood I see fairly often, while others I just see in passing. I see Alec Baldwin very often, and he never seems to be very friendly or in a good mood. When I see him, it is usually at the coffee shop in the morning, so that could have something to do with it.

Howard Stern used to live on the same beach as I do. He is a real nice guy. Very different than on his radio show. Billy Joel is also very friendly. Paul McCartney seems to be very pleasant. I have only run into him 2 times, but both times he joked about something and then moved along. My wife ran into him at the local yoga studio, and he gave my 6 year old son a little lecture on yoga. I see Matthew Brodrick and Sarah Jessica Parker on the beach, and they are as friendly as can be. People mentioned Bon Jovi. I haven't met him, but my wife is often in a spinning class with him and she says he is very nice.

I could go on, but there are too many to name here, but like some people have said, it is really hard to judge someone based on a single chance encounter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities