U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2016, 11:25 AM

17,887 posts, read 9,831,212 times

Advertisements

Back in the 70s, my mother visited us in Honolulu. While shopping at the Ala Moana Shopping Center just before noon one day, my mother spied actor Khigh Dhiegh, who was famous at the time as the Chinese agent Wo Fat on Hawaii Five-O doing his own shopping.

She caught him and started a conversation. Being the kind of extroverted woman she was, she continued the conversation long, long beyond the time I became uncomfortable and started tapping my watch for her to cut it short. But Mr Dhiegh remained gracious and polite.

Then Mr. Dhiegh suddenly invited us to lunch at a restaurant in the shopping center. They finished the conversation over lunch, and he finally bid us adieu.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 11:36 AM

18,563 posts, read 15,768,765 times
Great thread. I have met several celebrities but only in my capacity as an employee at various restaurants in my college days. I'd say the ones that stand out were John Madden, great guy graciously signed an autograph for the kitchen guys and left me $100 tip. Bernie Williams of the Yankees and his family, they were just great people. I've had some negative experiences and have also observed popular celebs doing drugs and treating people in particular women horribly but I'd just rather not name them.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,490 times
Some great stuff and has been a fun, long read LOL

I have not had the pleasure of meeting any actors

Jack Russell of Great White: Patient with me though I was star struck and am shy as it is LOL
80's band Enuff Z'Nuff: Sat in front of them on an airplane. They were very friendly (someone had to tell me who they were after we landed)

Wes Hopkins: Former Philadelphia Eagle used to live a couple doors down from me when he was playing. Him and his wife were very nice. He played Techmo bowl with my brother a couple times

Met in passing many Philadelphia Flyers as a teen when I went to their practices. Can't say anything bad about any of them.

I am curious if anyone can say anything about a couple of my favorite actresses: Jennifer Connelly, Marisa Tomei and Moira Kelly? I am a huge Gene Hackman and glad he seemed cool.
Thanks

Old 08-15-2016, 07:01 AM

4 posts, read 7,871 times
When I was a reporter (years ago) I had the chance to interview many celebrities. Others I would meet at different events. I'll see how many I can remember and post a few thoughts.

Jerry Lewis - One of the planet's biggest a-holes. What a washed up jerk.

Michele Lee (Karen on Knots Landing among other roles) - Easily one of the nicest people on the planet. I can't say enough good things about her.

Chris O'Donell - What a boring person.

Whoopi Goldberg - Not at all fun. A tired, irritated human.

John Travolta - SUPER nice man.

Tom Cruise - Never met him but we were having dinner next to his table at the Mandrian Hotel in LA. His "person" was sent to our table to tell us there would be NO picture taking and to please stop looking at Mr. Cruise. HA!

Gary Marshall - As funny and nice in person as you would hope.

Melissa Rivers- Huge diva.

William Devane (Also of Knots Landing) - A lot like the character he played, Greg Sumner. Maybe slightly aloof but not at all rude. He just seemed puzzled that anyone would want to meet him.

VP Dan Quayle - I know he is the punchline for a lot of jokes, but the man couldn't be nicer and more humble.

Arnold Schwarzenegger - Very nice man. A tad intimidating, but nice.

Britney Spears - Nice but not overly warm. There is definitely some "diva" there.

Richard Simmons - Everything you see on tv and more. Off the chain, but very friendly.

Maya Angelou - She was always gracious and kind.

Willard Scott - Everything you would hope for Uncle Willard to be, he is. Super nice and warm.

Liam Neeson - A very nice man. Super serious, but nice.

Sissy Spacek - Like the girl next door. Super sweet and charming.

Sherman Hemsley and Isabel Sanford (The Jeffersons) - As sweet and funny as you would hope.

Jodee Messina - Incredibly sweet and funny.

Brad Paisley - Kind of cold. Not mean, just very private.

Dustin Hoffman - I was really ready for him to be a jerk. I was ashamed of myself for pre-judging. The man could not have been nicer.

Allen Dershowitz - The man has a serious chip on his shoulder. He was one rude human.

Valerie Harper - I adored her. She was so genuine and nice.

Looking back, what a random list! I'm sure I will think of more, but that's all I can come up with right now.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I used to work in TV & film. One day we shot a PSA for the local PBS station. I arrived at 6am to hear incessant, high pitched clucking, a non-stop stream of insults & curses in a thick accent & overly loud voice, then walked into the makeup room to a deafening roar. Apparently an unsuspecting hairdresser had dared place his hands on Zsa Zsa's hair before asking permission. She never shut up the entire 4-hrs we shot... the poor guy must have quit the biz next day... as he continued shaking, turning red & sweating, she got worse & worse with slurs, insults & swears directed at him.

Now, my turn with La Gabor... I was the makeup artist. She was already heavily made up (she must sleep with it packed on), but required additional full makeup, 2 sets of lashes on the top & 1 set on her bottom lashes. I've never had anyone before or since request multiple sets of lashes or wear them on the bottom of the eye. Anyone who's done lashes knows it can take a few minutes for each one to be expertly applied & dried, let alone having to do 6 & additionally on someone who is screaming at you at the top of their voice the entire time. Admittedly as a young 18-yr old girl, they weren't my forte & I was applying them slowly as my hands were shaking from being constantly berated. I swear, she never took one breath for 4-hrs. She insulted me the entire day, over & over... referring to the hairdresser with gay slurs & calling me "that stupid girl" in a neverending loop.

She called everyone else, including the director, names, swears, slurs... everyone was outrageously offensive to her it seems & she never stopped reminding us we were lucky she was there as PBS pays no money to on-screen talent. (As an aside, that's a lie... we all get paid, cast & crew, but it's at a lower rate because it's a non-profit). Others who annoyed her for god knows what had things thrown at them... boxes, hairbrushes, she even reached into my makeup case & hurled my products at people. Some people she actually hit with the objects. She had the foulest mouth I've heard outside a London cockney pub.

Since I was working freelance & a starving, young girl trying to make a living in a huge, expensive city, I didn't want to walk out & ruin my reputation... I needed the work... same with the others, I imagine. No one left. I was more distressed that the director allowed it to happen & didn't order her to stop... he's the director. I had decided, however, if she touched me, hit me, or threw anything at me, I'd leave. She didn't, but I did feel physically pummelled by end of shoot.

Remember that incident with her slapping an L.A. police officer? You can bet it was far more than that. She has to be one of the most vile creatures I've ever met. I had such a headache that when I left, I had to go straight to bed for 4-hrs (I still remember) with ice packs & a handful of aspirin. My headache disappeared the next day. We all left the shoot like battered objects.

Several months later, the same video production team called to ask if I were available on a certain date. I excitedly said yes. They told me it was for 1 principal actor. I said great, because that usually means it's a faster shoot. Then he sheepishly said, "It's with Zsa Zsa Gabor". I was stunned. Trying to be professional, I said, "Oh, I'm so very sorry. I just looked at my calendar & I'm not available that day. I already have a booking." He very quietly & nicely said, "I understand" as if he'd heard it 100 times. In fact, I heard that no crew would ever work with her twice. Not sure if that's true, but I believe it.

She's a wretched soul & lucky to boot that she's lived to this ripe old age of 90-something. It's quite stunning to me that a human could dare to treat others so badly... especially physically striking them. By the way, in 11-yrs in TV & film... she's the only person I met I'd never work with again. That includes the band The Clash... who threw up on my shoes... but, that's another story.
GREAT story! Thanks for sharing. Somehow, I am not surprised though. Still, a great read. Thanks.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:47 AM

2,753 posts, read 1,737,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonnative View Post
When I was a reporter (years ago) I had the chance to interview many celebrities. Others I would meet at different events. I'll see how many I can remember and post a few thoughts.

Jerry Lewis - One of the planet's biggest a-holes. What a washed up jerk.

Michele Lee (Karen on Knots Landing among other roles) - Easily one of the nicest people on the planet. I can't say enough good things about her.

Chris O'Donell - What a boring person.

Whoopi Goldberg - Not at all fun. A tired, irritated human.

John Travolta - SUPER nice man.

Tom Cruise - Never met him but we were having dinner next to his table at the Mandrian Hotel in LA. His "person" was sent to our table to tell us there would be NO picture taking and to please stop looking at Mr. Cruise. HA!

Gary Marshall - As funny and nice in person as you would hope.

Melissa Rivers- Huge diva.

William Devane (Also of Knots Landing) - A lot like the character he played, Greg Sumner. Maybe slightly aloof but not at all rude. He just seemed puzzled that anyone would want to meet him.

VP Dan Quayle - I know he is the punchline for a lot of jokes, but the man couldn't be nicer and more humble.

Arnold Schwarzenegger - Very nice man. A tad intimidating, but nice.

Britney Spears - Nice but not overly warm. There is definitely some "diva" there.

Richard Simmons - Everything you see on tv and more. Off the chain, but very friendly.

Maya Angelou - She was always gracious and kind.

Willard Scott - Everything you would hope for Uncle Willard to be, he is. Super nice and warm.

Liam Neeson - A very nice man. Super serious, but nice.

Sissy Spacek - Like the girl next door. Super sweet and charming.

Sherman Hemsley and Isabel Sanford (The Jeffersons) - As sweet and funny as you would hope.

Jodee Messina - Incredibly sweet and funny.

Brad Paisley - Kind of cold. Not mean, just very private.

Dustin Hoffman - I was really ready for him to be a jerk. I was ashamed of myself for pre-judging. The man could not have been nicer.

Allen Dershowitz - The man has a serious chip on his shoulder. He was one rude human.

Valerie Harper - I adored her. She was so genuine and nice.

Looking back, what a random list! I'm sure I will think of more, but that's all I can come up with right now.
I enjoyed reading your list.

Many of your reportings are what I would expect....like Allen Dershowitz. Years of observing him on TV leans that way too.

Thank you Winston.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
I enjoyed reading your list.

Many of your reportings are what I would expect....like Allen Dershowitz. Years of observing him on TV leans that way too.

Thank you Winston.
Thanks for reading it! I keep remembering more. I will have to post them.

Old 08-15-2016, 06:12 PM

583 posts, read 739,298 times
Since this is an olympic year....

I met Tonya Harding about 15 years ago at a sportscard autograph mall show. For those who don't remember, she was famous in the 90's for not only being an olympic skater but also for the Nancy Kerrigan incident. Google can be your guide for the complete story.

Anyway, she was appearing, along with former boxer, the late Tommy Morrison, at a show and, although never a fan of hers, was curious to meet her as she was so famous/notorious at one time.

When I showed up, there was nobody getting her autograph. Someone was sitting with her at her table, and after awhile, he left and wandered into the mall. So she was all alone. Seemed like a good time to approach her.

She greeted me with a smile. We exchanged hello's and then I looked over her table for a picture for her to autograph. There were only 2 different ones, One was an action skating pose. The other was a posed photo of her as a boxer, which she was dabbling in at the time.

I picked the skating picture. She signed it (20 bucks) and then we had a brief conversation. She was friendly and talkative. Probably somewhat bored and welcoming the chance to talk to someone. The main topic of our conversation was about a reality TV show she was developing at the time. Something about wildlife and nature, which never came about as far as I know. She also said she had something in the works which would tell the "true" story of the Nancy Kerrigan incident. Anyway, after our chat, we shook hands and I left. I still have the picture and it's still framed and hanging on the wall. I met lots of other famous athletes at autograph shows but she was probably the most memorable.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:44 AM

185 posts, read 111,541 times
I was an extra in a movie with Claire Danes where I had to physically bump into her. She was polite and nice if a bit reserved. But it was obvious she was very focused on her work. When the other actors were just hanging out and waiting she was practicing her lines. Catherine O'Hara was also in the scene I was in and she was friendly and always smiling at everyone.

I did some volunteer work at a music festival where we served some guest celebrities. The only one I saw there was Chris Noth. He was pretty standoffish and ignored us. This was when he was in his 40s and he was with a girlfriend who looked like she was about 18 and barely spoke english.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:08 PM

5,263 posts, read 2,874,948 times
I just got home from seeing T.J Miller for the 6th time. (He plays Erlich Bachman on HBO's Silicon Valley.) He's still as down to earth and friendly as ever. I saw him 9 years ago when he first was starting out... met him, hugged him, he gave me a big kiss, signed things for me, chatted... every subsequent time, too. Tonight he had THREE sold out shows in this tiny club in little old Appleton, WI. I didn't get to chat with him this time because there was about a minute before he had to do his next show. I was bummed...but he still fit this club in Appleton into his Meticulously Ridiculous tour because he likes WI so much. He's really an authentically nice person. He visits the local restaurants, walks around downtown, smiles at people. Some people get too self important once they become famous, but he's not one of them. If you get a chance to see his Meticulously Ridiculous tour, take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities