U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2017, 09:43 AM

2,813 posts, read 664,161 times

Advertisements

One of our local radio stations used to do some decent celebrity interviews in their studios back in the 90s. Quite a few "Where are they now?" stories.

They said Butch Patrick (Eddie Munster) had terrible BO - really disgusting. The station put guests up at one of the best hotels so it's not like he didn't have access to soap & water.

Another strange one was Maureen McCormick (Marcia Brady). As soon as her interview was over, the DJs said she went ballistic demanding to know where her check (appearance fee) was. I saw her on Dancing with the Stars a year or so ago, so maybe she's doing better. DWTS pays in the 6 figures.

My dad told me that back in the 50s he went to see Nat King Cole and then went backstage to ask for an autograph, and Nat slammed the door in dad's face. This was back when it was easier to approach celebs, and maybe after performing Nat was tired.

Co-worker and & I saw Michael Douglas walking down the street with someone back when they were filming the movie "Traffic". Said hello and smiled.

Last edited by applej3; 11-04-2017 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 02:55 PM

7,857 posts, read 10,155,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noregon98 View Post
That's been going on for quite some time with celebs.

There was a genuine article stating that fact and naming names about a decade ago.
You can still Google now and at least get some more current names from random posters.

Barbara Streisand was mentioned in the above article I read stating that none of the crew was to give eye contact while she was rehearsing.

Tom Cruise was also mentioned.
According to some crew members, he had a memo passed at least by the time of Mission Impossible III, stating any violations of the rule would cause termination of the crew member.

He also had a white light-filtering overhead shade, or complete upside-down U-shaped tunnel connected from the top of the doorway of his Star Waggon Trailer to the top of the stage door, either to control the lighting of his face in case someone snuck a picture of him and/or thwart unauthorized overhead "Slop-a-rots-see" photos.

Some stars won't even allow their make-up or hair stylists to talk with them while in the chair or otherwise.
I understand about the make up and hair stylists. Maybe they're "in character" or trying to get there. Or, getting ready--in the zone. But, the eye contact thing is so bizarre. Maybe it takes them off their game, too, or something??

Old 11-04-2017, 08:00 PM

Some animals (chimpanzees ?) don't like eye contact. They see it as a challenge or threat or some such thing.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:15 PM

2,276 posts, read 928,196 times
I was really into meeting rock bands in the 1980's when I was a teen

Nicest

1. Cyndi Lauper
2. Rick Allen (Def Leppard)
3. Tom Petty
4. Phil Collins
5. Nikki Sixx
6. Billy Squier
7. Ozzy
8. Joan Jett

Not so nice

1. Axl Rose
2. Vince Neil
3. Gene Simmons

I guess my list is pretty consistent with what's already out there though...

Old 11-05-2017, 09:56 PM

5,165 posts, read 2,395,591 times
Well, here is someone from waaaay back, before my time, actually, but I was dating one of his band members who was more in my age range, & we would meet up at a lot of their U.S. engagements.

It was Count Basie, I believe his first name was actually William, but I, & many others, addressed him as Mr. Basie, & rightfully so. He was a iconic jazz pianist & Big Band leader. He was very well-spoken, soft-spoken, educated, a gentleman, genteel, highly respected by all, well-dressed, worldly, & always took the time to greet me & have a conversation with me, a woman in her 20’s. Through those encounters, I also met the singers Joe Williams (what a voice, & he was already pretty old), Carmen McRae & Ella Fitzgerald. Some of their music wasn’t my thing, some I really liked...I was too young at the time to appreciate how iconic they were. But what they all had in common was this...as famous & talented as they were, they weren’t full of themselves, they were kind & friendly, & were not divas. Kanye West, learn from them.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:48 PM

1,533 posts, read 943,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
Some animals (chimpanzees ?) don't like eye contact. They see it as a challenge or threat or some such thing.
I was at a friend's house one day. His cat was sitting on the stairs a few steps up. I was at the base of the stairs and petting him nicely. My face was level with the cat's. He smacked me in the face but didn't claw me.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:48 PM

^^ My comment was in reference to some celebs who don't want fans/people looking them in the eye.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:46 PM

2,340 posts, read 1,292,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post

It was Count Basie, I believe his first name was actually William, but I, & many others, addressed him as Mr. Basie, & rightfully so. He was a iconic jazz pianist & Big Band leader. He was very well-spoken, soft-spoken, educated, a gentleman, genteel, highly respected by all, well-dressed, worldly, & always took the time to greet me & have a conversation with me, a woman in her 20’s. Through those encounters, I also met the singers Joe Williams (what a voice, & he was already pretty old), Carmen McRae & Ella Fitzgerald. ....
Wow! I too was too young to appreciate their music then, I wanted ROCK! But I listen to them now & then & the Count especially, nice. I met Willie Nelson through work & he was nice but also strikingly charismatic, he has "it" & his eyes make you feel like you are the most interesting person in the room to him at that moment.

Nicest person of the few I've met is definitely Jeff Goldblum, he is interested & interesting & lively. Very much the way he appears on the talk shows: no artifice, funny & a unique fashion sense. These 2 would be great hang-out people.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:02 PM

412 posts, read 404,951 times
Went to UGA when Hershel Walker and Dominique Wilkins were there. I met both. They were extremely nice and humble. Hershel Walker was a huge campus celebrity and I saw people bug him all the time. He was always nice about it. I have to say that Hershel Walker had/has an incredible physique. When you see him in person he's a sight to behold.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:52 PM

2,897 posts, read 7,860,355 times
My cousin has told me and my family that she used to see Tonya Harding as one of the regular customers at a convenience store she worked at in the Portland area back in the 1990's, she claims that Tonya was always rude and obnoxious towards my cousin and everyone else who worked at the convenience store, she claims everyone who worked there always cringed every time they've had to deal with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities