U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2018, 10:25 AM

5,923 posts, read 4,938,756 times

Advertisements

Back in the 80's, I loved my soaps. It was 1986, when DH took me to a soap opera convention as a surprise. Tristan Rogers (Robert Scorpio) of General Hospital was going to be appearing.. I was CRAZY about him. As soon as DH found out about it, he hightailed it to Ticketron (remember that?) and got me first row tickets. Other soap stars appeared as well, one of the most notable being Ruth Warwick (Phoebe) of All My Children. The others, I can't really remember.

Mrs. Warwick was a kind and gracious lady (as well as beautiful). She allowed me to sit next to her to have my picture taken. She was a well known actress in Hollywood's golden era...she was in "Citizen Kane". A lovely lady, and may she rest in peace.

Tristan Rogers seemed like he didn't want to be there. He didn't allow photographs taken, and he didn't want to interact with the fans. He was very dour and unapproachable. Took him down several pegs in my book after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 07:39 PM

1,797 posts, read 678,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
^^ My comment was in reference to some celebs who don't want fans/people looking them in the eye.
I can understand someone not wanting to have another person gawking at them/staring at them--I think that it would make most people uncomfortable to some extent.

It's ridiculous to have the expectation that people won't look period though. Even if you aren't a celebrity, people look at each other all of the time and sometimes eye contact happens.

I had the good fortune to meet and hang out for a few hours with a frontman/guitarist back in the 1980's who was as sweet as could be but was a bit intimidated by my direct eye contact. I was still a (nervous) teen at the time so was just starting to learn that my gaze was intimidating I apologized and we started talking about mutual interests in art and all was good after that.

But yeah, it's pretty impossible to dictate where people are gonna look...

Old 02-08-2018, 02:21 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,373,636 times
Nicest mainstream celebrity I have ever met? Easy. Bill Paxton (RIP). (Traveller)
Rudest mainstream celebrity I have ever met? Tie. Shelly Long (TNT movie of the week) / Donald Sutherland (Virus)

Weirdest: Richard Gere (Jackal)
Coolest: Sidney Poitier (Jackal)
Clueless: Mariel Hemingway (USA movie of the week)
Friskiest: Jennifer Love Hewitt (I Know...Last Summer). We called her "Jennifer Loves her Buicks".
Disheveled: Julianne Margulies (Traveller)
Drunkest: Chris Klein (dated Katie Holmes towards end of Dawson Creek run)

Best (Tie): Jamie Lee Curtis (Virus). That lady, is no joke! She even makes the Teamsters nervous with her ability to weave together a profanity-laced insult that will leave the entire room in tears of laughter. Awesome person!
Mark Wahlberg (Traveller). When he was shaking off the "funky bunch" image. Really nice guy, had a lot of fun back then when the "entourage" was the real group mostly from Boston. Happy to see him shine like he does today, some 20+ years later.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:59 AM

1,038 posts, read 686,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Back in the 80's, I loved my soaps. It was 1986, when DH took me to a soap opera convention as a surprise. Tristan Rogers (Robert Scorpio) of General Hospital was going to be appearing.. I was CRAZY about him. As soon as DH found out about it, he hightailed it to Ticketron (remember that?) and got me first row tickets. Other soap stars appeared as well, one of the most notable being Ruth Warwick (Phoebe) of All My Children. The others, I can't really remember.

Mrs. Warwick was a kind and gracious lady (as well as beautiful). She allowed me to sit next to her to have my picture taken. She was a well known actress in Hollywood's golden era...she was in "Citizen Kane". A lovely lady, and may she rest in peace.

Tristan Rogers seemed like he didn't want to be there. He didn't allow photographs taken, and he didn't want to interact with the fans. He was very dour and unapproachable. Took him down several pegs in my book after that.
I'm so glad to read about your positive experience meeting the late Ruth Warwick. All My Children was my favourite soap, and I loved her character, Phoebe Wallingford.

Tristan Rogers was an Aussie, wasn't he? I used to watch General Hospital and well remember him as Scorpio. I didn't know that he was that was full of himself. It's too bad that he was. He's gone down a few notches for me as well, just hearing about his attitude!

I haven't watched soaps in years, not since AMC stopped airing on ABC, and I watched General Hospital only occasionally.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:26 PM

185 posts, read 397,653 times
I've met Slim Thug, Paul Wall, and many Swishahouse rappers many times since they live in Houston, like me. Matter of fact, many of Houston's rap stars come from Acres Homes, like myself. Houston celebs are low key, they don't like to draw attention to themselves, so it'd be tough to spot a Houston celebrity. Whenever I've met them, they were real chill. Slim Thug is a giant in real life.

Old 03-01-2018, 08:53 PM

852 posts, read 463,193 times
Ezekiel Elliott. Was at the National Football Fantasy Conference in Dallas this past July as a VIP. Was at a party exclusive for this event for VIP's and vendors. David Irving was there taken pics, no problem. Zeke pulls up outside, and a few of us are there waiting, he says, "Get the **** away from me!" Then once inside he runs off to the side, avoids everyone, and staff is like no pics. Then next day at the conference we met some local fans who said he walked out on a group of school kids while visiting their classroom. Then when he was signing autographs, again, he requested no pics. Wtf! Karma is a *****! No wonder why he got suspended and was not on his game this year.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:04 AM

12,562 posts, read 11,073,218 times
This thread is so long that I’m not sure if I’ve answered it already. I met Joey McIntyre (my childhood celebrity crush) twice. It was very quick- only long enough to say hi and get a photo, but he was nice and friendly and he has beautiful eyes.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 671 times
I worked for 15 years in the entertainment business as a technical director. Here's some of my thoughts, broken down by genre:

Country Music
Garth Brooks: super nice, down to earth. He and Trisha loved to frequent the local pizza place my wife worked at the time. They even had Trisha's bday party there once.
Trisha Yearwood: see above
Pam Tillis: I love her. She's so sweet and extremely gracious of everyone who works with her.
Charley Pride: so humble and gracious
Mickey Gilley: awesome guy
Merle Haggard: not so much
Lorrie Morgan: absolute drunk nightmare.
Richie McDonald (Lonestar): nice, but very quiet
Glen Campbell: very nice, super low key and professional

Other Artists
BB King: everyone loved him like their grandpa, loved for crew to come in his dressing room and visit (even if it made him late)
Andy Williams: quiet, professional, very eloquent and well-spoken, but also expected equal professionalism
Vince Vaughn: down to earth, doesn't mind a quick chat
Wayne Newton: nope
Rich Ceisler: more important than you
Gallagher: very quiet, awkward, and a wide jerk streak

Magicians:
Brett Daniels: egotistical, arrogant, HUGE temper
Tom Mullica: absolute riot, humble, loved to laugh and joke
Kirby VanBurch: drugs are a terrible thing
David Copperfield: nice, handsy with the ladies

Old 04-16-2018, 05:36 PM

282 posts, read 145,252 times
After reading this thread it reminds me of something my favorite bus driver once said;
“I’ve always followed that old adage: Be kind to people you meet on the way up, because you’re going to meet the same people................ on the way down.”

Old 04-16-2018, 05:44 PM

11,376 posts, read 6,507,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Wow, ummm so I would feel the same way if I was sent to little Mexico, ooooops I mean California.....
I lived in Lexington for three and a half years, and my wife is from London. I enjoyed my time in Lexington. Nice little city.

I've met Donald Trump, and Eric Trump in 2002. Both were very nice and friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities