U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2018, 08:16 PM

9,291 posts, read 16,160,727 times

Advertisements

whoever it was that sent me the DM.....I would consider gold and platinum record selling bands celebrities.....

I know that Nickelback is hugely divisive..... and even I have moved on as they have gotten progressively more pedestrian..... but at that time, and probably even now, they are celebrities......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 10:01 PM

8,838 posts, read 2,353,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
My husband's Mother owned a home in NY state. It was an old historic home close to a then Movie Director. He had actors come up and visit him, consult, stay w/ him, whatever. My husband's grandmother met Christopher Reeve (pre disability) while walking to the mailbox one day. He must have introduced himself, but she didn't know him (or care, LOL). Paul Newman had visited there, too--not sure they met him though. And, a singer from the 70's who I forgot at the moment.

I went to a Shawn Colvin concert in Lenox, Mass. and this was before she was well known...90 or 91'ish. While someone else was playing, she came in our aisle and sat down on seat at very end. She was small, petite. I didn't make a scene, LOL, just interesting to see her close up.
I find the bolded especially interesting. In the post below your post above, JoReLo mentions how nice Phyllis Diller was in her interactions with her. I agree. Some friends of our family were neighbors to Phyllis Diller for years. While visiting, our friend would sometimes ask me to get the mail. A few times I ran into Phyllis Diller while walking to the mailbox, and briefly chatted with her each time. Like was likely with Christopher Reeve, she introduced herself the first time. Our friends were fond of her .

Old 07-31-2018, 11:49 AM

542 posts, read 116,991 times
Speaking of Phyllis Diller, I brought her home to use the phone when her (well, Harrah's) Rolls Royce got stuck in the snow. She sat around and had coffee with my parents while waiting for another car to come and fetch her. She was wearing a skull-cap, full length fur coat and Chuck Taylor's.

It was a Saturday afternoon, and "Chiller Diller Theater" (cheesy horror movies) was on the TV. She got a kick out of that.

Gave my folks some tickets to her show that night.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:59 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,244,242 times
I saw dozens of celebrities when we lived in manhattan and never acknowledged any of them except for jane pauley. I only had enough courage to say something to her when I was halfway down the street from her and walking my dog. I yelled at her, "I love you, Jane." she turned around to face me, gave me a huge smile and said, "awwww". this was around 2006, well after she was working on TV. she was one of my idols decades ago and a professional woman I still admire very much. now she is a host again on Sunday mornings. Many new people are learning to love her!

Last edited by texan2yankee; 08-06-2018 at 09:22 PM..

Old 08-06-2018, 09:15 PM

7,842 posts, read 7,585,018 times
The nicest celebrity was Ray Bradbury. A charming, well spoken man who was incredibly polite and entertaining.

Harrison Ford had a great sense of humor, gently teasing one of my coworkers who could not quite recognize him or remember his name.

Gavin MacLeod puked the “do you know who I am” thing and was quite rude about it.

I have met a number of other celebrities as well, but living in New York that will happen.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.In.California View Post
My husband works in TV so whenever big names go through his studio, I try and stop by for a visit.

Here are the ones that I've met:

NICEST
1. Mark Wahlberg
2. Joe Pesci
3. Colin Firth
4. Ben Affleck
5. Gary Oldman
*These actors were so incredibly nice and easy to talk to.

RUDEST
1. Tom Hanks
2. Natalie Portman
3. Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt (I saw them back in Jan. of 2012 when they were still together).
4. Samuel L. Jackson
*I don't know what the deal is w/ these rude celebs but they had major attitudes. Really don't care to see any of their movies now.
Hi !
Could you tell me more about Colin Firth ? I'm totally smitten with him since i watched A single man two weeks ago. He seems to be such a nice man.

Old Today, 09:01 PM

542 posts, read 116,991 times
I've said it before, I'll say it again... I had a beer with Willie Nelson once. Nice guy.

I delivered Room Service to Wayne Newton, and his body-guard opened the door, but Wayne came to the door and shook my hand and tipped pretty well. I couldn't have cared less about Wayne Newton, but that was pretty nice of him, I guess.

Darren McGavin and the guy who played "John-Boy" were both cool when I met them in LA.

Terry Gilliam went out of his way to give me a personal drawing and talk with me at a pre-screening (that never happened) of Brazil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities