Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 09:55 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times

Advertisements

I worked for NBC Sports & Corporate at 30 Rock over 2 summers when I was still in college. I also ended up as a personal assistant for 15 yrs to a late show personality before I retired to have kids. As such, I met scores of celebrities from TV, politics, music & sports. I also lived among them as a "poor person" in Montecito (Santa Barbara) so I had my share of every day experiences with them as "regular people" running mundane errands.

I met a LOT of rude and nasty celebs out there. You could usually excuse the tantrums when it was a particularly funky situation or chalk it to a bad day but some of them were just plain nasty no matter what the circumstance or how many times you crossed paths. For me, the stand-out in this category was Ray Charles.

On the other hand, I met so many incredibly kind, considerate and sincere people who just happened to be famous. Did they have their diva moments? Oh, yeah...I'm sure they did but so do most of us at some point. Nicest? I'm going to go with Rob Lowe just because I actually mentioned him to someone else tonight. We lived in the same general neighborhood so we were at the same Starbucks many, many mornings over several years. He always said hello to me even if it meant rolling down his car window to yell "hey!". Whether he saw me at Starbucks, the grocery store, downtown, out eating or walking, he always acknowledged me with a smile and depending on the circumstances, a funny commentary - usually about his then-toddlers. Oh. And I have to add David Robinson - The Admiral...x-center of the San Antonio Spurs. That man is just a wonderful human being.

Last edited by Sampaguita; 02-27-2012 at 10:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 11:30 PM

652 posts, read 1,052,386 times
I haven't met that many famous people.

Met David Copperfield many years ago. Got tickets to his show in a college performing arts series package. Otherwise I never would have went to see him. After the show there was a sort of autograph party, that my friend wanted to go through. He was completely rude to people that just were in line for his autograph, but didn't by his merchandise.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:36 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Tim Robbins nice guy, Kenny Chesney not so much

Old 02-27-2012, 11:46 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Only celebrity-type I've run into would have to be Chris Jericho when I was at the Universal Citywalk in 2003.
I was at a Hot Topic looking at shirts and then went for a particular shirt on a lower rack.
I said "excuse me real quick" to the guy standing in front of it and as I got back up my first thought was "do I know this guy from high school?"
Sure enough I figured out who it was and he was real easy to talk to.
Almost like, "I nailed a couple of people with chairs last night. Yourself?"

Old 02-28-2012, 06:41 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
I haven't actually met very many celebrities. But the one that sticks out in my mind is Jack Hanna.

I took my boys - who were big into Animal Planet type shows and quite familiar Jack Hanna to a scheduled event to meet him and get his autograph. How exciting! Well maybe not...

After standing in a long line to meet him, Hanna couldn't be bothered to answer even one of the boys' questions, much less crack a smile at them. His entire attitude was "Go away, kids, you're bothering me." He didn't actually say that, but he didn't have to. It was all over his body language. I don't know if he was in a hurry and had a plane to catch, wasn't feeling well that day or just isn't a "kid person". But he was not at all what I expected him to be.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:52 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I haven't actually met very many celebrities. But the one that sticks out in my mind is Jack Hanna.

I took my boys - who were big into Animal Planet type shows and quite familiar Jack Hanna to a scheduled event to meet him and get his autograph. How exciting! Well maybe not...

After standing in a long line to meet him, Hanna couldn't be bothered to answer even one of the boys' questions, much less crack a smile at them. His entire attitude was "Go away, kids, you're bothering me." He didn't actually say that, but he didn't have to. It was all over his body language. I don't know if he was in a hurry and had a plane to catch, wasn't feeling well that day or just isn't a "kid person". But he was not at all what I expected him to be.
Every time see him on tv I think to myself how mean he would seem in real life. He never seems to joke with the person interviewing him and frequently talks over them so I'm not surprised by that kind of encounter

Old 02-28-2012, 07:09 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,521 times
Years ago in Las Vegas I ran into Don Johnson and Melanie Griffith when they were still married. Don was very smiley and nice, Melanie was also friendly but quiet.

Last summer I saw a pregnant Kelly Preston (John Travolta's wife) and their daughter at a local store. The Travolta's own a vacation house on Islesboro, an island close to where I live. Kelly was very nice to the sales person and seems like a down-to-earth person. (She's much shorter than I expected.) Locals here who have met John Travolta say he's super nice...

Old 02-28-2012, 07:10 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Every time see him on tv I think to myself how mean he would seem in real life. He never seems to joke with the person interviewing him and frequently talks over them so I'm not surprised by that kind of encounter
I notice that about him now, too.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:16 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Picture a tiny and miniscule dude wrapped in a towel gurgling with mouthwash.

Two washbowls away in the same mirror, a big and ripped giant shaving, also wrapped in a towel.

One was the crocodile.

The other was Terry Crews.

I didn't even react like he was a celebrity but I pretty much knew who he was when he was working out. He was otherwise very composed and reserved.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:18 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
I read through the thread and some of this mindset is the reason why these showbiz guys are such megalomaniacs. In the mind of the masses, they are demi-Gods. Imagine what that can do to the self-worth of the so-called celebrity whose only worth to society is to pretend like something other people tell him to, behind the scenes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities