U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2013, 01:16 PM

706 posts, read 768,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
This thread has provided some real entertainment! Sobering, though, I used to admire Jimmy Carter

Has anyone met David Gilmour...?

Has anyone met Ian Anderson?

Has anyone met B.B. King?
I met BB King! Very cool man! See post 480 in this thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 04:51 AM

2,768 posts, read 2,311,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exnj1970 View Post
I met BB King! Very cool man! See post 480 in this thread!

Wow, what a treat, I will check out 480.

Old 10-28-2013, 04:53 AM

2,768 posts, read 2,311,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exnj1970 View Post
I worked at a hotel in 1990.B.B. King stayed one night.He found out that many on the staff wanted his autograph.He allowed us to come into his room,gave autographs,spoke to us.It was nice.Not only is he talented,he was cordial and classy.Still a favorite of mine.
Someone WITH talent who is personable....*sigh*.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:46 AM

21 posts, read 34,615 times
Years ago, while waiting in the Atlanta airport, my husband briefly walked away from his belongings and his seat to order some food just across the hall. When he got back, Ray Charles and two security guards were sitting nearby. The guards only let my husband approach and sit back down after he told them his stuff was sitting there. He got up the nerve to ask Ray Charles if he could shake his hand (to which he said "Sure, man") and then struck up a brief conversation with him. Husband said he was much like you'd expect - friendly, but in a mellow and cool kind of way. He said he was wearing a long fur coat, a red satin shirt, a gold belt, and big gold sunglasses, which (to me) is the icing on the cake.

My husband was also an extra and a “production assistant” (bka gopher) in a few movies during college. He met:

Matt Damon - down to earth and friendly. Threw a football around between shoots with guys on the set.

Will Smith - cocky and sarcastic, didn’t talk much to the “regular” people.

Charlize Theron - standoffish and rude. Extras were instructed not to speak to her or even make eye contact with her because “she doesn’t like it.” Husband said she had a little dog who got loose and ran off, so he caught the dog, put its leash on it, and gave it back to her. He said she didn’t look at him or thank him, but snatched the leash and abruptly walked away.

Christina Applegate – quite friendly and personable. So nice, in fact, that my husband worked up the cajones to ask her on a date (which she graciously declined, haha).

The only celebrity I’ve seen firsthand is Shaquille O’Neal. It was at least 10-12 years ago in New Orleans, and we were both crossing Canal St. at the same time. I was so star struck that I barely stammered a “Hi Shaq,” and he gave me a quick nod and a “What’s up.”

Old 11-02-2013, 02:31 PM

7,839 posts, read 10,144,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INFP1973 View Post

Charlize Theron - standoffish and rude. Extras were instructed not to speak to her or even make eye contact with her because “she doesn’t like it.” Husband said she had a little dog who got loose and ran off, so he caught the dog, put its leash on it, and gave it back to her. He said she didn’t look at him or thank him, but snatched the leash and abruptly walked away.

What gives someone the right to be such a rude *^%%? Poor extras they should have tripped her or something--to make her look like the fool she is.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:51 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,310,826 times
Charleze Theron was rude? Oh well. She's mortal like the rest of us. She, too, is susseptible (sp?) to many things. She may be a "celebrity", but she still is humans, and has the frailties of one (diseases, etc.)
If she didn't invent peniclllin, cold medicine, does cancer research, or anything else that would benefit the world, she's insignificant in my book.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:47 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,025,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Great lists. I'll second John Hartford. I loved that man. Wonderful human being. He was probably the most content human being I've ever known. Miss him tremendously.

I don't think I have a worst. Maybe Mamie Van Dorn for those of you who are old enough to remember her. She owned an antique shop for a while and we'd wander in there. She wasn't tremedously warm. But she visited a lot of U.S. troops in hospitals during Vietnam so I'm giving her a huge break. Maybe we always managed to go in when her feet hurt. Or something.

I'll add a nicest. (You always forget the biggies.) Michael Jackson. Who used to be a Disneyland regular. My dad did his walking at Disneyland and we'd often meet up there. Michael had a "reputation" among some of the cast members but he got to where he recognized my dad and would always smile and wave to him and chat for a few minutes. Goodness only knows what they talked about. My dad met a lot of clebs in his day but Michael was always one of his favorites.

And I've got to list Tommy Lasorda simply because the guy is such a hoot.
Being in the theater world I wonder if you ever met the nicest celeb I ever met? Sorrell Booke?

His tv fans just knew him as "Boss Hogg", but he had a deep theater resume I believe.

Boss Hogg and Rosco classic moment - YouTube

Old 11-05-2013, 12:02 PM

7,839 posts, read 10,144,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Charleze Theron was rude? Oh well. She's mortal like the rest of us. She, too, is susseptible (sp?) to many things. She may be a "celebrity", but she still is humans, and has the frailties of one (diseases, etc.)
If she didn't invent peniclllin, cold medicine, does cancer research, or anything else that would benefit the world, she's insignificant in my book.
The poster above described her as instructing the extras not to make eye contact with her or speak to her. That's a bit different from being human and having frailties. Of course they're human and have off days and like their privacy. Her behavior was more of a degrading one--"don't make eye contact with me or speak to me." And, no it's not much important in the larger scheme of things, but this thread is about rude celebrities, not finding the cure for cancer!

Old 11-05-2013, 06:01 PM

537 posts, read 598,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
The poster above described her as instructing the extras not to make eye contact with her or speak to her. That's a bit different from being human and having frailties. Of course they're human and have off days and like their privacy. Her behavior was more of a degrading one--"don't make eye contact with me or speak to me." And, no it's not much important in the larger scheme of things, but this thread is about rude celebrities, not finding the cure for cancer!
Just make sure to bow as her chariot passes and she'll have a much, much better day.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:59 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,028,290 times
I'd definitely be looking at Charlize!

Billy Joel was friendly.

Willy Nelson was cool as hell.

Marcus Allen was just OK.

Al Michaels was a nice guy.

Al Gore was friendly but he was on the trail and clearly in "politician" mode.

Jerry Springer was very friendly and funny, but is a bit creepy with the females.

Tony Dungy is just like he seems on TV. Down to earth guy.

The late Ed Bradley of 60 Minutes and CBS News was just a great guy to talk to. Very nice man.

Jim Nantz was friendly.

Mike Krzyzewski was nice and let me try on one of his national championship rings.

Judy Bloom was nice.

I met "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan, an old WWF wrestler, this past weekend and he was really cool. Great with the kids.

I guess I've yet to meet a rude celebrity. I think a lot of it is timing and knowing when and when not to approach them or say hi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities