U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 03:24 PM

24,603 posts, read 40,176,096 times

Advertisements

My SIL has been around a LOT of celebrities and she will tell you the rudest by far was Alan Alda. She worked on a TV interview show and he would not talk to anyone. In fact he had them close the hallway outside his dressing room because he did not want anyone walking by it while he was there. She said that when he walked to the stage from his dressing room he did not say a word or smile but as soon as his name was announced on stage, he lite up with a big smile and walked out like he was the friendliest person in the world. A producer turned to her and said "Now that is an actor". Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 07:13 PM

8,141 posts, read 5,707,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
LOL. I doubt that.
I'd pick KY over CA any day of the week.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:43 PM

2,683 posts, read 3,265,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
I'd definitely be looking at Charlize!

Billy Joel was friendly.

Willy Nelson was cool as hell.

Marcus Allen was just OK.

Al Michaels was a nice guy.

Al Gore was friendly but he was on the trail and clearly in "politician" mode.

Jerry Springer was very friendly and funny, but is a bit creepy with the females.

Tony Dungy is just like he seems on TV. Down to earth guy.

The late Ed Bradley of 60 Minutes and CBS News was just a great guy to talk to. Very nice man.

Jim Nantz was friendly.

Mike Krzyzewski was nice and let me try on one of his national championship rings.

Judy Bloom was nice.

I met "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan, an old WWF wrestler, this past weekend and he was really cool. Great with the kids.

I guess I've yet to meet a rude celebrity. I think a lot of it is timing and knowing when and when not to approach them or say hi.
He let you try on one of his rings???

How did you meet him? I can't imagine that he'd let just anyone who came up to him try on one of his rings!!!

Old 11-08-2013, 08:06 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,031,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
He let you try on one of his rings???

How did you meet him? I can't imagine that he'd let just anyone who came up to him try on one of his rings!!!
I had a buddy whose dad had some connections. I think it was 1997 and Coach K was in town for the Final Four (although Duke was not playing in it that year). He was doing some promotional thing and my friend's dad got us some passes to get behind the scenes of the promotional event. He was actually sitting by himself and this was before smartphones so he wasn't really doing anything so we walked over and struck up a conversation. We chatted for about 10 minutes and my friend made a comment about his ring and he took it off and let us check it out. It was pretty cool. We met several coaches while we were there but Jim Harrick, the former UCLA coach, is the only other one I remember.

Tony Dungy also let me try on his Super Bowl ring!

Old 11-08-2013, 08:49 AM

13,904 posts, read 11,011,093 times
Troy Donahue: Too nice; he propositioned me. He was quite drunk.

Neil Diamond: After a show, my date and I went across the street to a hotel to have a drink. He and his band were in the bar. I asked him to have a drink with us, but he declined and went to his room. His band stayed and we all drank together for a couple of hours. I don't begrudge Neil. I'm sure he was tired. He was nice about it.

Lyndon Johnson: OMG, what a pig that man was. He trudged around in nasty boots. I was on a private plane with him, and the dipstick stood on the seats in his nasty boots with cow poop on them. The pilot, my boyfriend at the time, had to clean up after he deplaned. Filty, nasty piece of work.

The Sinatra boy. I can't think of his name. The one who was kidnapped. Nice.

This is a fun thread. Everybody has bad days, but it's interesting to see how several people have the same experiences with a famous name, like Jimmah Cartah!

Edit: Come to think of it, I think the Sinatra boy was Frank Jr. That should have been easy. Maybe too easy, lol.

Oh, my, I read Post 344 and remembered I met Robert Goulet. In Las Vegas. What a gorgeous man. Later at the show he was doing, he came to my table, knelt down at my side, gazed into my eyes, and sang, "When I'm Not Near The Girl I Love, I Love The Girl I'm Near". How could I have forgotten that!!

Last edited by Dale Cooper; 11-08-2013 at 09:21 AM..

Old 11-08-2013, 09:03 AM

4,119 posts, read 4,598,392 times
A couple of months ago I ran into David Price-ok not a big celebrity (for those of you that do not know who he is, he is an awesome pitcher for the Tampa Bay Rays).

Anyway, I stood next to him at a fast food place in St. Petersburg. The night before he pitched one hell of a game and I happened to be there...
No one seemed to know it was him, so I learned over and whispered "You pitched one hell of a game last night and I'm glad I got to see it live." He smiled and said "man I appreciate that." My friend shook his hand..then we went about our business...all I have to say is he was one class act. Plus he has one kick a** car.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:29 AM

2,683 posts, read 3,265,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
I had a buddy whose dad had some connections. I think it was 1997 and Coach K was in town for the Final Four (although Duke was not playing in it that year). He was doing some promotional thing and my friend's dad got us some passes to get behind the scenes of the promotional event. He was actually sitting by himself and this was before smartphones so he wasn't really doing anything so we walked over and struck up a conversation. We chatted for about 10 minutes and my friend made a comment about his ring and he took it off and let us check it out. It was pretty cool. We met several coaches while we were there but Jim Harrick, the former UCLA coach, is the only other one I remember.

Tony Dungy also let me try on his Super Bowl ring!
Ok, that makes sense. Good for you! He seems really nice. (and Dungy letting you try on the Super Bowl ring, too. That must have been so cool.)

I was once in the same room as Jim Valvano as his team practiced. I didn't go up to him, though, as his presence was supposed to be a secret . . .

Old 11-08-2013, 02:51 PM

7,864 posts, read 10,163,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
My SIL has been around a LOT of celebrities and she will tell you the rudest by far was Alan Alda. She worked on a TV interview show and he would not talk to anyone. In fact he had them close the hallway outside his dressing room because he did not want anyone walking by it while he was there. She said that when he walked to the stage from his dressing room he did not say a word or smile but as soon as his name was announced on stage, he lite up with a big smile and walked out like he was the friendliest person in the world. A producer turned to her and said "Now that is an actor". Jay
That's funny cuz I never liked Alan Alda. Hehe. I must be a good judge of character.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:32 PM

781 posts, read 566,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I love this thread.
I was at a function once for a TV show where the screenwriter speaking to our group called the actors "meat puppets."
Ohh that's simply awesome. Meat puppets. I'm going to have to remember that one. Good name for dirtbag celebrities....

Old 11-08-2013, 09:41 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,031,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Ok, that makes sense. Good for you! He seems really nice. (and Dungy letting you try on the Super Bowl ring, too. That must have been so cool.)

I was once in the same room as Jim Valvano as his team practiced. I didn't go up to him, though, as his presence was supposed to be a secret . . .
Valvano seemed like a great man. Honestly, I would trade 10 minutes with Coach K for 2 minutes with Jimmy V.

Dungy lets every fan try on his Super Bowl ring so it's really no big deal. He honestly is a really down to earth guy. He will stand around for hours and talk about anything. If it's all an act, he certainly has me fooled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities