U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2014, 01:24 PM

1,108 posts, read 758,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomgirl View Post
Ack! How could I forget!!! My friend and I met Ryan Gosling about 2 years ago in a Jamba Juice. What was funny is that she was on line to buy the juice and I was waiting for her. She kept turning and smiling and making these weird faces at the guy behind her. I thought to myself "Why is Kim acting so weird. She only has one white male friend that I know and that isn't him" So I started thinking to myself "Maybe we work with him"
So she's looking at him, I am looking at her and him and he's looking at both of us with a look of humor. I start racking my brains thinking of what department he works in and he turned again to look at me and I suddenly yelled out "OH ****!!!!!"
He was with two of his friends (that must have watched this whole silent episode) and they all burst out laughing. We spoke to him for a few minutes (aka gushed and made no sense) and we asked to take a picture with him.
He and his friends were walking around taking pictures with a polaroid camera so they took the picture for us and handed it to us. We didn't think to ask him to sign it, but we have a great picture with him (though his friend cut off the top of his head slightly) That was a GOOD DAY!
That's great that Ryan Gosling was so nice.

Lord help me, whenever I hear his surname, I think of baby geese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 5,096 times
Now in VA, but I grew up just outside of Pittsburgh. I've met a few celebrities through the years, partially thanks to my uncle's connections. A lot of them are <former> Pittsburgh Penguins. Here they are:

* Mario Lemieux - Met him at a celebrity hockey game at the old Civic Arena. Autographed my book and said "All right, buddy!" Very friendly.

* Dave Coulier - same game as Lemieux. A nice guy as well.

* Tom Barrasso - he was standing not far from where we were sitting. He gave me his autograph but wasn't very friendly - my mom wanted to go up and deck him for his rudeness to a 10 year old kid. Read that he was a real prick to the public.

* Randy Hillier - met him at a local rink. Pretty nice. Didn't say much.

* Rick Kehoe - met him at the mall when Shawn McEachern was signing autographs (1992-1993). He'd been an assistant coach for the Penguins for a while. Followed him into a store and told him "My mom says you're Rick Kehoe!" to which he agreed and we chatted for a bit (since I was just a 10 year old kid, I don't remember much) but he chatted with my mom for about an hour while I waited in line to meet Shawn McEachern.

* Phil Bourque - a VERY nice guy, he came to my cousin's grad party as a friend of my uncle's. Met him again a year later and he recognized me. That was when I was like 10-11. When I was 25 he was at a party at the restaurant I worked at and he was ****faced off his ass. Alcoholic now :-(

* Mike Lange - Announcer for the Penguins. He used to go to the Wendy's by my parents house when I would go after scout meetings. Invited me (after seeing him for the 4th time) to sit and chat for awhile. Super nice guy!

* Weird Al Yankovic - met him after a concert for a meet n greet. I was 21 at the time. Told him I'd been listening to his music since I was 10 and he was very friendly and nice. Such a nice guy he was.

* Jim Paek - former Penguin. Met him at a carnival - still have a picture of us.

* Mark Messier - I taunted him while he was in the penalty box at a Pens-Rangers game. Wasn't very happy. Kevin Stevens came by later and smiled at me.

* George Allen (former US Senator and VA Governor) - talked to him at the labor day parade briefly. Wasn't overly friendly but nice.

* Bill Cardille (Chilly Billy) - came into the restaurant I worked at while in college. Said hello. Had a smile on his face.

* John Cigna (former KDKA radio personality) - met him at the opening of the Pittsburgh Airport. Showed me the inside of the KDKA news van. Let me say hello on the radio.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,875 times
Default Donny Osmond, Faith No More, Extreme and Simple Minds (90's Flashback Alert)

Back in the early 90's (dating myself here) I worked in the mailroom of a record label and interned for a small TV show on the USA Network (remember that network?). They weren't glamorous jobs but I got free tickets to a lot of shows and got to attend a lot of label parties. At one party someone struck up a conversation with me and I realized it was Donny Osmond (this was during his 90's "rebirth")! I was kind of waiting for him to be a jerk but he was really cool. He kept asking me (the lowly intern) questions. Didn't talk about himself at all. It kind of threw me for a loop. I wasn't a huge fan of his new music but I gained a new respect for him. Very nice person.

I was also asked to assist on an interview with Faith No More (right before one of their big shows with Billy Idol). The drummer (Mike Bordin) was riding around the parking area of the stadium on a kick scooter and laughing his ass off. He was pretty funny. I talked with Jim Martin (the guitar player) a little and asked him about playing with Cliff Burton. He seemed surprised that this guy holding sound gear knew anything about his history. He nodded his head and said that he had played with Cliff but didn't really elaborate much. Serious guy, but nice. Mike Patton was crazy! The on-air personality asked him what he was up to lately and he proceeded to shove his hand down his pants and act like he was masturbating. Our camera guy let him know that this was a show aimed at teenagers and Mike looked a little embarrassed. I was trying my best not to laugh. Once the interview was done the whole band wanted to see what was taped. They were very curious about how they looked.

I also got to assist on an interview with the band, Extreme. We did the interview on their tour bus. I looked in their cooler and it was stocked with mostly health drinks. Not one beer. The lead singer, Gary Cherone, was very welcoming and cool. He was funny as hell. Nuno Bettencourt was a bit more guarded and quiet. He seemed a bit put off by the cameras and attention. He wasn't rude, though.

I also got to go backstage at a Simple Minds concert. Jim Kerr was pretty quiet. Charlie Burchill (the guitarist) was great! We talked about music a lot. I remember they were all drinking Coronas and I had a couple with them.

Man, I feel old now

Old 02-09-2014, 02:11 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,130,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
I also had the misfortune of dealing that filthy animal Lou Reed.
Google his name and read what others have said.

I don't need to google him. One of the most talented singer songwriters that has ever lived.

RIP Lou Reed.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:44 PM

12 posts, read 13,645 times
Nice:

Jerry Rice: Met him several times, and almost every time he was very polite and gracious to his many hounding fans. Signed lots of autographs. There was one or two times when he was in a hurry and simply said, no autographs right now please, or sorry guys I gotta go.

Walter Payton: Was as classy as expected

Bill Walsh: Very classy and talked to me for a minute. He initiated the conversations because I was quiet and nervous.

Larry Nance: Saw him at a mall in the early 90's, was great.

Joe Walsh: Saw him at Cleveland airport in late 90's, was kind to everyone.

Jerks:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: COMPLETE A-HOLE. I was 16 and had gone to the airport for autographs (small hobby of mine back in the day) as the 50 Greatest players were coming in for the all star game. There was maybe 6 people that waited for his late flight from L.A. He was told his limo would arrive in 15 minutes. So he stood there and didn't make eye contact with anyone. All he had to do was sign 5 autographs and we all would have gone away.

Terrell Owens: Are you surprised?

Shawn Kemp: See Jabbar

Old 03-08-2014, 10:55 PM

13,990 posts, read 10,131,822 times
We were on our way to see Barry Humphries ("Dame Edna"). We had gotten into a big fight on the way there and it looked like the day was ruined. As we were waiting to turn into the parking garage at the venue, we saw who else but Barry himself and a woman who looked like they were having a walk/workout before the show.

He was on my boyfriend's side of the car. I told my boyfriend, "Say something, SAY something!" My boyfriend hesitated, trying to think of something to say, then shouted, "BARRRRRRRRY!" LOL.

Poor Barry and his companion looked around, he discerned the source of the disruption, they both kind of looked at us and then each other and then continued on down the street.

To Barry's credit, I don't think he could decipher what my boyfriend said or knew that we were fans coming to see his show. Either way, the encounter cheered us both up and we went on to have one of the best days of our lives. We remember it fondly, and often.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:51 AM

23 posts, read 24,752 times
I met Martin Sheen once. He was so nice. He stopped and allowed us to take photos with him. It was so cool.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:13 PM

12,421 posts, read 2,788,708 times
I'm so glad to see that Donny Osmond is a nice guy. Yay!

Old 03-09-2014, 03:16 PM

3,429 posts, read 5,755,743 times
My brother lives in LA and just last week was approached by Andy Dick and another guy coming out of a bathroom looking for coke. I mean he said he was polite, if that's worth anything.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:24 PM

20,071 posts, read 13,744,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
My brother lives in LA and just last week was approached by Andy Dick and another guy coming out of a bathroom looking for coke. I mean he said he was polite, if that's worth anything.
Yeah and Andy will end up like Philip (Seymour Hoffman)-- if he is in fact NOW off the wagon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities