U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2014, 12:30 PM

4,839 posts, read 3,426,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
My brother lives in LA and just last week was approached by Andy Dick and another guy coming out of a bathroom looking for coke. I mean he said he was polite, if that's worth anything.
That guy is a raging mess. At least he was polite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 01:29 PM

20,071 posts, read 13,754,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
That guy is a raging mess. At least he was polite.
If it is true, you've got to feel for his daughter.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:15 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,030,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Yeah and Andy will end up like Philip (Seymour Hoffman)-- if he is in fact NOW off the wagon.
Phil Hartmann is waiting to kick his azz.

Old 03-11-2014, 10:15 AM

6,257 posts, read 10,333,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
My brother lives in LA and just last week was approached by Andy Dick and another guy coming out of a bathroom looking for coke. I mean he said he was polite, if that's worth anything.
Your brother has the "bathroom drug dealer" look?

I am trying to picture it but, nothing....

Old 03-11-2014, 07:07 PM

7,129 posts, read 3,952,843 times
NICEST:
These were guests at conventions here in the Midwest, and we were able to chat with many of them, not just the autograph line/panel discussions). A number of them were guests two or more times, and I was surprised how many remembered not only me but also other fans from previous conventions. I was stunned by this a couple of times because I didn't have a convention badge on yet.
Mark Ryan
Ron Perlman
Majel Barrett
George Takei
Jonathan Frid
Tracy Scoggins
Nichelle Nichols
DeForest Kelley
Nicholas Brendon
Patrick Troughton
Mark Wing-Davey
Nicholas Courtney
Sylvester McCoy ~ just a brief but funny encounter
Dan Walker ~ then-future governor of Illinois / He's why I don't do politics anymore.
Harve Bennett (at Space Trek convention in connection with "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan")
Richard Carpenter (English television screenwriter, author and actor ~ best-known for "Robin of Sherwood" TV series)
Leonard Nimoy ~ I remember being amazed by a laidback Leonard. He would wander around the hotel, signing autographs and chatting with us while doing so (NOT in autograph lines). He has such a great sense of humor!
James Doohan ~ He was a darling and so much fun! A friend and I arrived early and encountered him coming out of the hotel restaurant. He flung his arms wide and called out, "Darlin's!" He hugged us and said he was happy we had made it back, having met him at the first Space Trek. We didn't even have badges on, so it really was a big surprise. We learned that he always arrived early for a convention, stayed in the hotel, and always completely took part in the convention experience.
Martin Ritt (at an on-campus retrospective during a break between "Casey's Shadow" and his next project: "Norma Rae"!) He was surprised that I asked him to autograph my copy of "The Wat Is Wide" by Pat Conroy; I explained that I likely would never meet the author and wanted him to sign because he had directed "Conrack". Since I was studying to be a teacher, the book and movie were among my favorites at the time.
Tom Baker ~ I was not disappointed by meeting this man. He really is so much like the character he played for seven years. He continues to be my favorite Doctor. He is endlessly patient with fans, visiting with as many as possible. The first convention where I saw him was rather small, so we were able to spend time with him, a very relaxed situation. I saw him again many years later and even shared an elevator ride; I didn't try speaking to him then, as he had been in ill-health and seemed to need a quiet moment though I knew how nice he can be.
Robin Atkin-Downes ~ At one point, I was seated next to his mother. I gave her my pin of St. George and the dragon to give to her son later after he had spoken about the saint. While in the autograph line, my friend and I stopped traffic because I had insisted we carry our creatures from Midsummer Knight's Dream: her dragon and my Celtic woods fairy. He was so sweet and so much fun. He pointed and cried out, "I've got one of those!" It turned out that he had purchased a dragon and a unicorn for his mother. Later, he and Tracy Scoggins admitted they were "sci fi nerds", which got big laughs. Tracy related a story about how she was at a restaurant with friends and saw Ray Bradbury. She said that she rummaged in her purse for something for him to sign while her friends were asking, "Who's Ray Bradbury?!" How I'd love to have met him, as he is at the top of my favorite authors list. Hey! He was an Illinoisan, too!
Cinderella ~ the group // My friend was a member of their fan club and won free tickets to their concert and backstage passes. They spent so much time with the winners, posing for pictures and laughing when we explained the ways we had smuggled in cameras. When it was time for David Lee Roth's group, we walked out into the patio area~and the guys followed us out there! They said that they were having so much fun that they wanted to keep visiting with everyone. They were so sweet and polite; I think nearly every one might have been a "family man". Extreme was the opening act, and I wish we could have met them. Their lead singer kept making my friend and I laugh by going to the edge of the stage and waving at us and acting silly. We thought it must be someone else, but he did this pointing thing, like "You and you!" We aren't groupie-looking types, so it surprised us. We were first row at the end, so we got to look backstage, which was an interesting experience.

Many of them went above and beyond being just a guest. Michael Praed, suffering from jet lag, had overslept for one session; they were going to stop at the set time, but he and Mark Ryan, who had been entertaining us while they looked for Michael (who had fallen asleep in his room!), were determined to have a complete session, which they did. I stopped traffic in that line, too, unintentionally; I had purchased a "Robin of Sherwood" poster at a previous convention, and he insisted on unrolling it before deciding on which pen and what name to sign. I had told Mark the name I'm known by in fandom, but when Michael started to write the full version, Mark stopped him. "No! It's 'Cyn'!" Later, I unrolled it to find that he had signed "To Cyn ~ A highly appropriate name". "What's that mean?!" I asked, and my friend said, "I guess he liked what he saw." *giggle* I received another great autograph later. We also attended High Tea with him as members of the fan club, and he ended up spending a much longer time with us than was planned.

Not-so-nice:
Peter Davison ~ He left a number of very bad impressions. I did not like the way he treated fans, as if he was giving us the privilege of meeting him.

Back in high school, my sister, her friend and I (driving) were headed downtown when we saw three guys walking in the same direction. Since they had shoulder-length hair, we knew they were from out of town, as longer hair hadn't caught on quite yet in this region. I slowed down so that we could~yes~check them out though all three of us were on the shy side. Suddenly. we recognized them as members of The Union Gap! I can't believe that we had the nerve to call out to them and stop the car to talk. It turned out that they were passing through on the way to a concert and had decided to stop and look around because it seemed (and was) a nice little city. I imagine we were rather an interesting trio: my sister with her waist-length black hair, me with waist-length coppery red hair and her friend with blonde hair not quite as long. I don't recall their names, as it's been at least 45 years since then. Gary Puckett wasn't one of them. Besides Buffalo Bob from a kiddie show back in the Fifties, I think they were the first celebrities I met.

Sorry that I wrote so much! I could do so many stories on how wonderful some of these people are. For example: Also at Space Trek conventions, Nichelle Nichols and Ron Perlman (their first non-Trek guest) chose to take later flights if their scheduled flights left without them. They were signing autographs and talking to each person, posing for pictures, and refused to stop. Maybe I've been very lucky. Even reportedly difficult people were so nice. For example, I'd always heard Walter Koenig attacked. I was there with a friend who has MD, She was nervous about meeting him and was having trouble with her camera. He took it from her, looked it over, then took the time to explain what she needed to do. He posed for a number of pictures just in case she had trouble. He asked us where we were from then excitedly told us he knew where that was and that he had cousins in a nearby city that I had visited a number of times.

I can't say that Davison was a disappointment since I had developed a dislike for him when he snarkily unraveled the iconic scarf after he took over the role. He had the same attitude throughout the convention, almost as if daring fans to cross him. He took advantage of his money and status in various ways.

I have also met a number of authors and artists when attending Archon in St. Louis. Among them were:
Rowena
Glen Cook
Gene Wolfe
Rob Chilson
R.A. McAvoy
George R.R. Martin
so many others...

Last edited by MystMoonstruck; 03-11-2014 at 07:29 PM..

Old 03-12-2014, 08:11 AM

3,437 posts, read 5,762,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Your brother has the "bathroom drug dealer" look?

I am trying to picture it but, nothing....
Lol I guess if hipster type looking is the new drug dealer look the yes, however hr was evidently asking everyone. My brother works in the music industry with producers and such so I THINK he was at a function of some sort, that was the impression I got. I didn't get into too much detail about it.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:36 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,271,837 times
When I met Glenn Tilbrook, the lead singer of Squeeze, I asked him to call my sister on my cellphone. He did, and told her his favorite recipe for grilled cheese.

Barry Carl, the bass voice of Rockapella (yeah, who said "Carmen Sandiego") was an absolute ass.

Steve Hackett of Genesis acted like he'd been awake for 80 hours.

The winner of Survivor once showed up at a bar I was at. The girls flocked to him like nothing I'd ever seen.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:54 PM

19 posts, read 13,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
When I met Glenn Tilbrook, the lead singer of Squeeze, I asked him to call my sister on my cellphone. He did, and told her his favorite recipe for grilled cheese.

Barry Carl, the bass voice of Rockapella (yeah, who said "Carmen Sandiego") was an absolute ass.

Steve Hackett of Genesis acted like he'd been awake for 80 hours.

The winner of Survivor once showed up at a bar I was at. The girls flocked to him like nothing I'd ever seen.
Which Survivor winner, was it Ethan? He's a babe.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:05 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,545,501 times
IMO, Jim Nabors, the star that played Gomer Pyle on 'The Andy Griffith Show' was the rudest star that I've ever met. The nicest was Chuck Conners, of 'The Rifleman' fame.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:56 PM

7,129 posts, read 3,952,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
IMO, Jim Nabors, the star that played Gomer Pyle on 'The Andy Griffith Show' was the rudest star that I've ever met. The nicest was Chuck Conners, of 'The Rifleman' fame.
I'm envious that you met Chuck Connors! I've heard nothing but good about him. Johnny Crawford on MeTV leaves wonderful reminisces of the man, saying he was like a big kid and was always a hero to him (Johnny). He could play a wide variety of roles, from comedy to a steady character such as Lucas McCain to the dangerous Janos Skorzeny in "Werewolf" (the name is an homage to the vampire in "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" movie), and especially the seemingly kind fellow with some horrible surprises in "Tourist Trap".

He was a hero to my sister and me in the Fifties. I loved reading about him, pleased that he was the decent person he appeared to be and was an amazing athlete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities