U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 04:09 PM

5,165 posts, read 2,389,556 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm old so some of these names may not mean much, but it was still exciting for me. I was a teenaged typist at the Federal Building in West LA in the early 70's. A lot of celebrities came there to get their passports or other issues (IRS & FBI in same building). Security and entourages didn't really exist then. I rode up in the elevator with Edward G. Robinson, an actor from the 30's & 40's who usually portrayed gangsters. He was about 5' tall & very nice. Some TV shows would film around the building & Darren McGavin was filming the Nightstalker, I think. He would always wink at me. Dr. George Fischbeck was the weatherman for channel 7 ABC & was a meteorologist, very educated. He would sit with us outside during our breaks & encourage us to go to college.

While I was in undergrad I lived in downtown Long Beach where there are some beautiful old buildings. A lot of commercials, TV shows etc. were shot there. I was usually at school or work & my neighbors would tell me, but one summer Ryan O'Neal was filming for a week in the evening. His daughter Tatum came to visit. She was just a kid, riding a skateboard. This was when they were both "up" in their careers. They liked petting my dogs.

When I lived in San Diego in early 80's a friend of mine had a sister who worked at the Sea Lodge, a resort in La Jolla. Dustin Hoffman was staying there with his wife & kids. He was visiting his dad, who lived in San Diego. We were by the pool and sure enough, he came out, was friendly & relaxed, asking us about college, jobs, etc. before the rich old ladies mobbed him.

In July 1978 my friend & I saw the Stones at Anaheim Stadium. Peter Tosh was the lead-in act There was no assigned seating & if you were a young woman you could easily squeeze your way to the front of the stage on the infield. I remember Mick Jagger took off his shirt & I was amazed at how white his skin was, and how I could count every rib. There were several beautiful women dancing onstage & we learned that one of them was Jerry Hall. I still have my ticket stub from that show & admission price was $15!!!

Also in the early 80's I was dating a member of Count Basie's Orchestra. I remember Mr. Basie, in addition to his amazing musicianship, as being very gracious, refined, soft-spoken, stylish & urbane; and very kind and down to earth. Through that association I met the singers Carmen MacRae, Sarah Vaughn & Tony
Bennett.

This was fun!

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 09-26-2014 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: typos
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 01:02 PM

626 posts, read 769,427 times
I only met one celebrity, Clint Eastwood, while he was filming in Wyoming. Super nice guy, very quiet and very shy! Humble is a good word for him. A friend of mine met Jon Voight and he was super nice too, took pictures with her and her friends. My daughter met Tim Allen, again very friendly and nice, also Pat Sajak and his wife!

Old 09-27-2014, 04:34 PM

3,828 posts, read 2,897,741 times
Maybe a little obscure but Jelani McCoy the former Lakers basketball player. He now plays overseas making a living. He lives in my condo complex. Total jerk. If he sees you in a hallway or the elevator he just glares at you. Thinks he's a superstar.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:21 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,330,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I travel quite a bit and meet a lot of celebrities. I came across a guy and his entourage not long ago that gave me a chuckle. I had no idea who he was but figured he was "somebody" and it turns out he was Wiz Khalifa (I had to look up how to spell that). He was very nice and the group was very quiet. The group as a whole really reeked of, let's say, Colorado if you get my drift. We weren't in Colorado. They were very nice, very quiet and going to do a show. I didn't get any bad boy rapper attitude.

Train band. Oh my, lead singer, likes his alcohol.

Adam Levine. Genuine, nice. Wonderful.

Maroon 5, All of them Wonderful

Kelly Clarkson. Wonderful, sweet, the real deal.

Alex Trebek. Arrogant

Franco Harris. Gentleman, nice.

The late Rosemary Clooney was around when I was a little girl. Very nice to me as a child. Always stooped down to speak to me and treated me as a person.

Jeremy Roenick. Fantastic. Love him, very kind to my kids.

Dolly Parton. Truly an amazing woman. Very generous. Kind. Down to earth. Warm and makes you feel great when you are around her.

Will write more later. Love this thread.
I too met Rosemary Clooney when I was in my late 20s. She was super friendly. I remember she loved that I knew about Brazilian samba music from the '60's.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:13 AM

2,894 posts, read 7,855,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthevergeofanervous View Post
James Worthy - nice
Lamar Odom - very very nice
Megan Ryan - not so much
Sandra Bullock, very nice
Julia Robert - hmm no
Tom Hanks - everyone thinks he is a nice guy. He is a great actor.
Jean Smart - not so nice
Jack Nicholson - Crazy but nice
Rob Reiner - not nice, rude arrogant
Jerry Seinfeld - Super super nice
Don Henley - no so nice
Glenn Frey - super nice
Steven Spielberg -nice
Tom Pollack - very nice
I'm glad to hear your experiences with Glenn Frey were good, I always seem to hear people say nothing but mean, hateful things about him, I agree Don Henley is not a nice person yet people seem to have more respect for him than for Glenn Frey.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk032099 View Post

Jerry Seinfeld -- My friend was a manager at a Chase Bank on Long Island. He was shooting a commercial down the block and absolutely refused to give an autograph to her coworker. He actually made her cry. My friend went back out there and did the same back to him....
My brother went and saw Jerry perform at Washington State University and didn't even bother to sign autographs and left immediately after the show, I have always heard he was not very friendly to his fans.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:18 AM

Tom Flick (former NFL player from the 1980's) he came to our high school and told us his life stories and he was really nice and he answered all the questions people had asked him, I even asked him a question myself which he responded politely.

Tonya Cooley (Real World: Chicago) major b-tch from hell, I went to high school with her and she was a very difficult person to get along with and was always snotty, stuck up and rude towards a lot of people, she also had at least four boyfriends during the last two years of high school, unfortunately she still lives in the same town as me.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:42 AM

12,042 posts, read 5,592,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Tom Flick (former NFL player from the 1980's) he came to our high school and told us his life stories and he was really nice and he answered all the questions people had asked him, I even asked him a question myself which he responded politely.

Tonya Cooley (Real World: Chicago) major b-tch from hell, I went to high school with her and she was a very difficult person to get along with and was always snotty, stuck up and rude towards a lot of people, she also had at least four boyfriends during the last two years of high school, unfortunately she still lives in the same town as me.
Ahahahaha, Tonya. Man, I haven't seen her on a challenge in a long time. Didn't she get a boob job, that may have been a topic of conversation on one of those challenges, I don't know. Do you remember Melinda from Real World Austin? Her & Danny were married once? Anyway, years ago I was at my dentist & she was there at the front counter reception. I kinda look at her & said "Were you on The Real World?" & she just laughed & said yeah. I forgot that she is from Milwaukee & was in dental school or something. I think she still lives here.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:31 PM

7,838 posts, read 10,144,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I travel quite a bit and meet a lot of celebrities. I came across a guy and his entourage not long ago that gave me a chuckle. I had no idea who he was but figured he was "somebody" and it turns out he was Wiz Khalifa (I had to look up how to spell that). He was very nice and the group was very quiet. The group as a whole really reeked of, let's say, Colorado if you get my drift. We weren't in Colorado. They were very nice, very quiet and going to do a show. I didn't get any bad boy rapper attitude.

Train band. Oh my, lead singer, likes his alcohol.

Adam Levine. Genuine, nice. Wonderful.

Maroon 5, All of them Wonderful

Kelly Clarkson. Wonderful, sweet, the real deal.

Alex Trebek. Arrogant

Franco Harris. Gentleman, nice.

The late Rosemary Clooney was around when I was a little girl. Very nice to me as a child. Always stooped down to speak to me and treated me as a person.

Jeremy Roenick. Fantastic. Love him, very kind to my kids.

Dolly Parton. Truly an amazing woman. Very generous. Kind. Down to earth. Warm and makes you feel great when you are around her.

Will write more later. Love this thread.
I would think Adam Levine would be genuine. It comes through the TV set.
Alex Trebek, hehe, he does take himself too seriously I suppose. It's just a show...
Dolly Parton, I've heard that before.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:44 PM

3,758 posts, read 4,291,481 times
Most of the celebs I've met have been just a few seconds passing on the street and saying hello.

Three stand outs have happened though.

Shared an elevator with Christopher Walken for 20+ floors. Never been more afraid for my life. He is a WEIRDO.

The other notable one is Alec Baldwin. I met him at a theater fundraising event. After the show (of which he was a part, along with other celebs) everyone convened at a local bar for a reception. Alec was sitting at the bar (drinking only water), and we struck up a conversation for a good hour or so. SUPER nice guy and friendly. Totally engaged in the conversation the entire time - not just merely being polite. I became a fan for life after that reception, despite all the negative press he gets.

The other celeb I met, at the same event, that I loved, was Mario Cantone. This was pre-Sex and the City, so I only knew him from his work doing standup. He is naturally funny and truly a life of the party type guy. He made you feel like a BFF the minute he started talking to you, and as I was leaving the event he came over to give me a hut goodbye. In the process he pinched my butt and said, "I'm gay - you can't get mad. But I had to do that - you look great in that dress!"

I've seen many others and have said "hi," but nothing more than that. Since I worked at Rock Center for many years, the list is long, so I won't bother posting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities