U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 10:25 PM

1,532 posts, read 941,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Oh, another incredible Florida born musician is Scott Henderson. He is considered one of the greatest jazz/fusion guitarists.

As for Yngwie, we used to watch him and laugh. he had a few substance issues. Sometimes he would spend the night just standing by the cigarette machine in a daze.

I'll check out Scott Henderson's stuff sometime. I'm surprised I haven't heard of him, I'm a fan of Al DiMeola.

Was Yngwie dazed the nights he was playing?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 01:17 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,415,973 times
My favorite actor is Michael Fassbender (young Magneto in the X-Men movies). I've met him a few times and he's very sweet and funny. I created a fan blog back in 2008 on him and got to interview him, and it's still going strong - www.fassinatingfassbender.com

Old 10-27-2014, 09:52 PM

10,664 posts, read 7,703,785 times
We got to (briefly) meet country-pop band Lady Antebellum tonight. The three of them are incredibly nice.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:21 AM

3,942 posts, read 3,871,659 times
Met a famous person today.. Sherrie Levine, post-modern American photographer!

Well known in the art world and in art history books!!

Very kind and down down-to-earth. Her work from the Great Depression era:

Old 11-02-2014, 03:41 PM

1,109 posts, read 758,946 times
I am in Canada, Quebec, to be precise.

The late and sorely missed
Gerry Boulet was an amazing man, very kind and sweet and full of fun. May he RIP.

I had the unfortunate experience to have had to be exposed to the 'musician' known to some as Gowan.

What a POS he was, truly. He was obnoxious to the max, and it's not only me who feels that way. He's known for being a real douche. I would have told him to shove his head up his arse but there wouldn't have been room, he's that bad.

The ego! I asked him how many hits he had apart from "All The Lovers In The World" which was featured in a Degrassi FIlm, "School's Out" and he became snarly and snarky and and spat out "You're A Strange Animal."

He really is.

He's a real nasty bit o' business, is Gowan. To be avoided at all costs, and insults us who have Scottish heritage everywhere, an abomination.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:18 AM

13,341 posts, read 10,898,841 times
I've only met one "celebrity". Randy Travis. Great guy. We talked for over an hour about horses.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:27 AM

66 posts, read 54,934 times
So far, of the celebrities I have met, they were all very nice....

Tim (Venus Flytrap from WKRP) Reid, at a car show back in the 1980's. I was about twelve and he was a complete gentleman, took a few minutes to ask me about school, sports, my hobbies, shook hands with my dad.

Trisha Yearwood.......she seemed a little shy, but incredibly sweet, blushed when I told her she was a terrific singer and graciously signed my cd.

David Hasselhoff....met him when Knight Rider was going strong....he was very cool....I was probably ten or 11....ruffled my hair, said nice to meet u dude....very nice with everyone.

Jason LaRue & Bill McCool....former Cincinnati Reds players....both very friendly. Met them both at card shows.

Saved the best for last, my musical hero, the late Levon Helm.

In 2003, met him at the Towne Crier in Pawling, NY through a mutual friend. We talked for a good ten minutes or so, and he said, "I'm glad I finally got to meet you, son." He was absolutely, the epitome of how a human being, famous or no, should treat another. The unquestionable gold standard.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:42 PM

2,319 posts, read 1,980,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoertl View Post
Saved the best for last, my musical hero, the late Levon Helm.

In 2003, met him at the Towne Crier in Pawling, NY through a mutual friend. We talked for a good ten minutes or so, and he said, "I'm glad I finally got to meet you, son." He was absolutely, the epitome of how a human being, famous or no, should treat another. The unquestionable gold standard.
What a wonderful way to remember someone; you expressed it with such kindness, I googled him -- and now I know who he is! Can't believe I didn't before! Levon Helm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Always wondered who Elton John's "Levon" was about Very cool, indeed.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:42 PM

4,334 posts, read 5,152,493 times
Nice:

Felix Pappalardi, rock band "Mountain" [on the phone, real estate inquiry] A total gentleman.

Uncle Floyd [comedian, pianist] [in record shops]- One of the most amiable you'd ever meet.

Lee Meredith ["Ulla" in The Producers (1967)] Amazing circumstances, and what a doll ....and I'll never forget that coffee she made for us. Yum!

Sandy Becker [NYC children's TV host] wrote me a wonderful letter on his own personal stationery, with his phone number printed on top! I'll always cherished that.

A friend was acquainted with Cab Calloway at a NYC jazz club bar, said he was an insane barrel of laughs..... a blast!

Stein Eriksen, Olympic Gold skiier, visited my family in the 60s, [a business proposal] He was awesome, we loved him.

My father used to tell a story about Robert Montgomery [fossilized actor, & father of TV show Bewitched's Elizabeth M. (Samantha) ]

Montgomery was my father's WWII Navy commanding officer.

Not enough time or space to go into it here, but Montgomery was a notorious, terrifying officer but once went waaay out on a limb for an unsanctioned excursion and showed an amazing heart of gold.

---------------------------

Bad:

The Amazing Kreskin [he couldn't hypnotize me when I was ~ 8 years old, onstage, he got really flustered and nasty, lol]

Steve Knight [keyboard player from Mountain, playing trumpet in a tiny, obscure jazz gig. Tipsy+ sloppy playing + amazingly nasty]

-------------

My siblings and I had a personal taste of minor fame due to some stuff "in the media" years ago, the attention was just kind of.....creepy. The first thing regular people always did was become twice as loud and overbearing. We hated them! I shy away from bothering any celebrities, I sorta guess I know how they can feel.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:06 AM

3,330 posts, read 1,975,987 times
Love reading this thread...I met Lisa Lampanelli after her show..she was nice and funny.

Hockey Player Gordie Howe twice..the last time at Kmart he was behind me in line buying half off stuff..nice man..he just had a stroke..hope he is doing OK...

Dave Coulier double dated to a Homecoming dance in the 70s with him and his gf..met his wife too in the 80s Jayne Modean who used to be on the cover of Seventeen mag....she was cool..he's kind of obnoxious...all those weird sounds he makes....

The late Senator Howard Baker and his wife...nice nice people

Baseball player and manager Cito Gaston. Quiet guy
Rick Leach. U of M quarterback and pro baseball player he was OK

Talked to that Debbie Mather's...Eminem's mom a few times on the phone calling about her other son's traffic tickets..she is a train wreck...Also waited on his ex Kim paying her ticket at the court I worked at..she never smiled..really hard look about her..

Was at a bar and saw Dave Rozema after a Detroit Tiger alumni / police softball game..CRAZY...funny crazy guy

Got a nice note on social media from Esai Morales a few years back..he took time to write me about something I had said to him.. Super nice..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities