U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 06:54 AM

3,290 posts, read 1,940,697 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in hearing about real-life conversations that you've had with famous, or quasi-famous, or influential/powerful "behind-the-scenes" people. By "quasi-famous" I mean people who might not be very famous to the general public, but who are well-known within a particular realm of life, e.g., well-published scientists, authors of all sorts, philosophers, etc.

I'm especially interested in how you felt when you met them, and how they seemed to you. Even the smallest details you can remember would be helpful.

My own example: Several years ago I met Kate Mulgrew (Capt. Janeway on Voyager who is now "Red" in Orange is the New Black). She was shorter than I expected (maybe 5'4"?), petit. She had just done a "one-woman show" stage performance in Youngstown, Ohio (her husband ran for a Senate seat in Ohio) where she played the part of Catharine Hepburn. (Of course people are constantly comparing her to Hepburn, so I think that's how this show came about.) Through certain connections, I had an invitation to a party after the show. I hung back for about a half hour while she chatted with a variety of people and I built up the courage to introduce myself. After a couple of mundane pleasantries, I said something sorta sappy about how much I enjoyed her role in Star Trek. I'm not sure what I said that was different that the usual sorts of things that I presume other people say, but somehow my comment hit the spot for her. Or maybe I was just making big puppy-dog eyes...I don't know...but she said "Oh, that's so sweet!" and gave me a hug. She had not been giving hugs to many others, so I felt kinda special. Anyway, my overall impression of her was certainly warm and friendly. I wish I could remember what shirt I was wearing that night. I could probably sell it on ebay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 03:31 PM

7,839 posts, read 10,144,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I've never liked Matt Lauer.....
An acquauntance of mine actually had the displeasure of meeting Matt Lauer in person.
He was bartending at an exclusive place-
Matt Lauer & his wife were extremely rude, arrogant & acted entitled.
They even insisted the place stay open just for them.....
And after all the pampering they got-
They didn't tip.
I don't like even looking at him. I can get that he's rude and arrogant. It's how he comes off on TV and I don't watch Today because of him.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:34 PM

7,839 posts, read 10,144,052 times
I worked in a hospital in Greene County, NY in the early 80's and we had a patient who had been a limo driver for the Beatles. I think when they were in NYC?? Can't recall. He had a foreign accent himself. Was a great guy. He used to draw the nurses taking care of him--penciled drawings of us, and kinda funny. I had one some where. Funny the things you remember.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:37 PM

1,603 posts, read 840,789 times
Nicest: Tom Green and Louis Black (comedians).

Worst: Emmitt Smith (ex NFL player).

Old 01-29-2015, 09:57 PM

398 posts, read 1,132,513 times
I haven't met very many celebrities, and the few I have were mostly very brief encounters. I spent a little time with Jane Goodall, since she's friends with my FIL, but we didn't speak for very long. She seemed quite nice and very down to Earth. She's very dedicated to her cause, and is working exceptionally hard. She knows she only has so much time left, so she's willing to push until she can't any longer.

My FIL ran into Andre Agassi in an elevator somewhere, and didn't know it was him. He just saw that he had a tennis racket and asked him if "he played a little tennis", LOL. I don't remember the whole conversation, but apparently Andre was a good sport about it. It's so typical of my FIL; he'll talk to anyone and is usually quite engaging. He really has quite a way about him!

Old 01-29-2015, 10:05 PM

5,263 posts, read 2,874,948 times
I'm friends with Quinn Cummings who was in the 1977 movie, "The Goodbye Girl" and the TV series, "Family." She's a very nice, extremely intelligent person who cares very much about animals.

TJ Miller who stars in "Silicon Valley" is also a very nice person. I've met him several times when he did stand up comedy in Appleton, WI. He's so incredibly friendly. He'll take photos and hug and joke around.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:49 AM

8,609 posts, read 8,611,763 times
I met Pat DiNizio, lead singer of The Smithereens, when I was working at a local supermarket in the late 80s/early 90s. They were in town for a concert.

I met actor Hal Holbrook a few years ago one afternoon at the local Burger King. He was in town for a performance as Mark Twain.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:39 AM

894 posts, read 797,888 times
I'm not surprised to read Matt Lauer is a douche. He's always come off as an arrogant SOB to me.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:28 PM

8,071 posts, read 5,075,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBender View Post
I'll show you how none of this matters and you can't tell anything about what these people are like at all from these meetings. In the late 80's when I was in high school I had a job working for NBC at Notre Dame stadium during their TV broadcasts. Basically helping set up the miles of cables and everything else. In addition to that on game day I would stay with the sideline reporter during the telecast and assist them. I spent probably 30 entire day's with O.J Simpson. Nicest guy you would ever want to meet. Remembered my name from day one and even though I wouldn't see him for 8 months he would remember all the stuff I had told him about myself and ask how it was going. Even gave me his card and told me to use him as a reference if needed which i never asked him for.

A really good person might just be having a bad week, and somebody who seems like a really good person might 5 years later murder two people and leave his two young children alone 100 feet away with the door open to find their mother like that.
Maybe he is bipolar

I always wonder though how many celebrities play nice but might even hate their fans.

Some however are such divas that they don't even care to fake friendliness and think the world should revolve around them like Nicholas Cage.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:08 PM

6,448 posts, read 6,457,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Maybe he is bipolar

I always wonder though how many celebrities play nice but might even hate their fans.

Some however are such divas that they don't even care to fake friendliness and think the world should revolve around them like Nicholas Cage.
Many times like in the case of O.J. the celeb is a narcissist who loves the adulation of their fans...they have trouble with real life relationships that require giving of themselves instead of just taking...Nicholas Cage I think is just plain nuts...self destructive weirdo...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities