U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-30-2011, 11:38 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,242,696 times
^^The media will call her Princess just because that is what she is 'seen' as in the eyes of everyone watching. How many Americans can't even name all of the Presidents of this country- much less be taught about British royalty and protocol. William is considered a prince, so she is a princess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

His father's official title is:

His Royal Highness The Prince Charles Philip Arthur George, Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles, Prince and Great Steward of Scotland, Royal Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Royal Knight Companion of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Knight Grand Cross of the Most Honourable Order of Bath, Member of the Order of Merit, Knight of the Order of Australia, Companion of the Queen's Service Order, Member of Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council, Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty
Thanks for the info- very interesting. I wonder how many times Prince Charles heard all those titles called out at once!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-30-2011, 01:00 PM

8,863 posts, read 7,928,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
^^The media will call her Princess just because that is what she is 'seen' as in the eyes of everyone watching. How many Americans can't even name all of the Presidents of this country- much less be taught about British royalty and protocol. William is considered a prince, so she is a princess.

Thanks for the info- very interesting. I wonder how many times Prince Charles heard all those titles called out at once!
Here's a bit of interesting fyi>>
Under letters patent issued by the Prince's great grandfather, King George V, the title of a British prince and the style His Royal Highness was only available to the children and grandchildren in the male-line of the sovereign and children of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales. As Charles was a female-line grandchild of the sovereign, he would have taken his title from his father, The Duke of Edinburgh, and would have been styled by courtesy as Earl of Merioneth. However the title of Prince and Princess, with the style HRH was granted to all the children of Princess Elizabeth by new letters patent issued by King George VI. In this way the children of the heiress presumptive had a royal and princely status not thought necessary for the children of King George VI's other daughter, Princess Margaret. Thus from birth Charles was known as His Royal Highness Prince Charles of Edinburgh.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/Historyofthe.../GeorgeVI.aspx

Unread 04-30-2011, 02:07 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,257,537 times
Quote:
The reason is that William is not "Prince of Wales", his father is. The title "Princess of Wales" is an honorary title (doesn't make the holder a "princess") that is given to the wife of the "Prince of Wales". In the same way, Diana was not actually a "princess", the title was merely reflective of being the wife of the Prince of Wales.

To give some details. The title "Prince of Wales" is always held by the male heir to the British throne. There can be only one holder of that title. There is no regal title "Princess of Wales", for instance Queen Elizabeth II was not the "Princess of Wales" before she took the throne.

The title prince or princess preceeding a persons name can only be received if they are a child of the royal family. Their spouses are not titled "prince" or "princess" they simply gain the HRH designation followed by any other granted titles. Similarly all titles are invested in the royal/noble in the marriage, not the spouse, unless the spouse held their own titles.

When it comes to the children of the "Prince of Wales", they are actual princes, so they use the prince title before their name. Also, they do not take the family name "Windsor", they take their fathers territorial designation, which is Wales. For instance Prince Andrews daughters are the Princesses of York. The children carry the territorial designation until the women are married or the men become invested with their own title.

Williams official title is:

His Royal Highness Prince William Arthur Philip Louis, Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Strathearn, Baron Carrickfergus, Royal Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Master of Arts.

His Royal Highness The Prince Charles Philip Arthur George, Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester, Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Baron of Renfrew, Lord of the Isles, Prince and Great Steward of Scotland, Royal Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Royal Knight Companion of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Knight Grand Cross of the Most Honourable Order of Bath, Member of the Order of Merit, Knight of the Order of Australia, Companion of the Queen's Service Order, Member of Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council, Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty

Their wives are allowed to use the feminine form of their titles, but do not actually hold the titles themselves. So, Kate Middleton is NOT the Duchess of Cambridge. Her husband is the Duke of Cambridge, so she is referred to as the Duchess. If they were to divorce she would have no title (unless she was granted a courtesy like Sarah Ferguson, who is still the Duchess of York, but that title would be lost if she remarried). This was one of the sticky points when Charles and Diana divorced as Diana held no titles of her own and was not a "princess" despite the medias assertion that she was. Diana was allowed to use the title "Princess of Wales". She would have lost that title if Charles remarried or Diana remarried. Following the divorce she was no longer HRH Diana, Princess of Wales, etc., she was Diana, Princess of Wales. At no point was she ever Princess Diana, that was a media invention.

When it comes to Dukes, Barons and such there is a ranking of lord's in England. The Queen essentially elevated Williams station following the wedding, but was also attempting to draw the distinction that he is NOT the Prince of Wales and Kate is NOT able to use the title princess. Additionally, since he is now married he was granted his own estate and from this point forward will no longer be Prince William of Wales. For instance, his military uniform shows the name "Wales", as of today it will be changed to "Cambridge", similar to how Prince Andrew is Rear Admiral "York" in the Royal Navy. From here forward his title will be:

His Royal Highness Prince William, Duke of Cambridge

Kates official title is:

Her Royal Highness Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge
Thanks for the explaination. I, too, was wondering about this.

Unread 04-30-2011, 02:28 PM

More about titles. If this is a picture of Kate --then she really did lose some weight.

ROYAL WORLD: Kate Middleton's future title

Unread 04-30-2011, 02:32 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,091,714 times
which media is calling her a princess... ?? BBC or US ??

Unread 04-30-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
which media is calling her a princess... ?? BBC or US ??
I'm in the US--'the media'---I wouldn't know whom to credit or discredit for this.

I just read that she is 'officially'--HRH, the Duchess of Cambridge.

I suppose that leads to the misconception that she is 'Princess'. ?The Queen is HRH--William's former title was 'Prince'---it is somewhat excusable, imo, that there is confusion.

A brief review of history might be good for many of us--myself included. I'm certain that my ancestors were 'serfs'. lol

Unread 04-30-2011, 02:55 PM

7,070 posts, read 12,328,700 times
Thanks so much for the explanation.

Quote:
The reason is that William is not "Prince of Wales", his father is. The title "Princess of Wales" is an honorary title (doesn't make the holder a "princess") that is given to the wife of the "Prince of Wales". In the same way, Diana was not actually a "princess", the title was merely reflective of being the wife of the Prince of Wales.

To give some details. The title "Prince of Wales" is always held by the male heir to the British throne. There can be only one holder of that title. There is no regal title "Princess of Wales", for instance Queen Elizabeth II was not the "Princess of Wales" before she took the throne.

The title prince or princess preceeding a persons name can only be received if they are a child of the royal family. Their spouses are not titled "prince" or "princess" they simply gain the HRH designation followed by any other granted titles. Similarly all titles are invested in the royal/noble in the marriage, not the spouse, unless the spouse held their own titles.

When it comes to the children of the "Prince of Wales", they are actual princes, so they use the prince title before their name. Also, they do not take the family name "Windsor", they take their fathers territorial designation, which is Wales. For instance Prince Andrews daughters are the Princesses of York. The children carry the territorial designation until the women are married or the men become invested with their own title.

Williams official title is:

His Royal Highness Prince William Arthur Philip Louis, Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Strathearn, Baron Carrickfergus, Royal Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Master of Arts.

Their wives are allowed to use the feminine form of their titles, but do not actually hold the titles themselves. So, Kate Middleton is NOT the Duchess of Cambridge. Her husband is the Duke of Cambridge, so she is referred to as the Duchess. If they were to divorce she would have no title (unless she was granted a courtesy like Sarah Ferguson, who is still the Duchess of York, but that title would be lost if she remarried). This was one of the sticky points when Charles and Diana divorced as Diana held no titles of her own and was not a "princess" despite the medias assertion that she was. Diana was allowed to use the title "Princess of Wales". She would have lost that title if Charles remarried or Diana remarried. Following the divorce she was no longer HRH Diana, Princess of Wales, etc., she was Diana, Princess of Wales. At no point was she ever Princess Diana, that was a media invention.

When it comes to Dukes, Barons and such there is a ranking of lord's in England. The Queen essentially elevated Williams station following the wedding, but was also attempting to draw the distinction that he is NOT the Prince of Wales and Kate is NOT able to use the title princess. Additionally, since he is now married he was granted his own estate and from this point forward will no longer be Prince William of Wales. For instance, his military uniform shows the name "Wales", as of today it will be changed to "Cambridge", similar to how Prince Andrew is Rear Admiral "York" in the Royal Navy. From here forward his title will be:

His Royal Highness Prince William, Duke of Cambridge

Kates official title is:

Her Royal Highness Catherine, The Duchess of Cambridge

Unread 04-30-2011, 04:26 PM

12,156 posts, read 6,228,615 times
I'm still confused but I don't really care. Wills is Prince William and Kate is Kate to me. Too much crap in nobility.

Unread 04-30-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I'm still confused but I don't really care. Wills is Prince William and Kate is Kate to me. Too much crap in nobility.
Agreed.

I have no frame of reference for this style of life.

I read somewhere that Queen Elizabeth considered her early years of marriage as an officer's wife on Malta her happiest time.

BBC America - Private Life (http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/136/private.jsp - broken link)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/de...oyalty....html
'This was to be the happiest days of their lives, living together as husband and wife. Phillip accepted the position of First Lieutenant of HMS CHEQUERS and was stationed in the Mediterranean paradise of Malta. Elizabeth was simply an officer's wife: going to the beach, dancing at parties, and getting her hair done.'

Malta sounds a bit more exotic than Wales--I wonder what Kate's daily life will be. Going to the grocery store, cleaning the house, cooking for William, taking long walks along an isolated beach--I believe there will be a bit more to it. It sounds like they have done the parties and dancing. Certain they will have internet access--and be expected to visit the inlaws.
http://newsgram.com/2011/04/william-...age-to-philip/

What would be said about a young woman who announced that sort of plan in the US is a very different story.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 04-30-2011 at 05:40 PM..

Unread 05-01-2011, 06:11 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,091,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I'm in the US--'the media'---I wouldn't know whom to credit or discredit for this.

I just read that she is 'officially'--HRH, the Duchess of Cambridge.

I suppose that leads to the misconception that she is 'Princess'. ?The Queen is HRH--William's former title was 'Prince'---it is somewhat excusable, imo, that there is confusion.

A brief review of history might be good for many of us--myself included. I'm certain that my ancestors were 'serfs'. lol
Hubby watched the wedding on BBC World I watched some hi-lights on Barbara Walters ABC and there were quite a few inaccuracies. After showing the Former King of Greece a picture of himself at Prince Williams Christening she asked how how long he had known the prince.... and she called Catherine 'Princess Catherine.... then I had to turn off she was too annoying..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities