U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:09 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,967,591 times

Advertisements

Firstly, with all the gin he soaked up, I'm guessing they were cold showers to revive himself so he wouldn't pass out. Some people become nice when drinking & nasty when sober or vice versa. I've heard he was the latter from 2 people who knew him, one at the beginning of his career, the other towards the end. They both said the same thing... "He was nice, to me... but I knew to always stay out of his way & only comment on a topic he'd brought up".

There was a interesting article in an odd-news kind of way years ago. It was before OCD was in our common parlance & listed all the famous people known to have been constant showerers/bathers. I remember Cleopatra being one (what else is a queen to do all day) & the only other I remember was Rudolph Nureyev, the ballet dancer, who took 5 baths per day while also running the shower over his head as he sat in his tub of bubble bath.

With Sinatra/Nureyev, perhaps it has something to do with growing up poor & doing something considered more luxurious. As a poor kid living in a house with no hot running water, we forever took baths in the same tub of water (cleaner kids first, muddy kids last... of course I'm 200-yrs old)... 4 kettles heated up & dumped into the tub. I thought 2" of water was a normal bath & only rich people had filled tubs... or so said mum. For me it's a luxury that I have a garden style tub... I take 2 baths/day with it filled to my chin... sheer heaven. A psychologist might say it has more to do with guilt & wanting to wash away "sins", or as someone said above, "strange", to need 5 or 12 showers.

BTW, I'd like to see the list of those who need a bath... there are an awful lot of celebs who look like they need good scrubdowns everytime I see them. Brad Pitt used to be known for not bathing... supposedly drove Gina Davis nuts & straight out the door... then Paltrow got ahold of him & cleaned him up real good in time for Angelina to whisk him away. Johnny Depp looks like he needs a bath (or maybe that's his carefully cultivated "I don't care about Hollywood" look)... Keith Richards, Willy Nelson, Mickey Rourke, Courtney Love... someone please send them all the Sinatra book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 11:12 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,967,591 times
Oh, & I forgot to add... I can't stop smiling that Frank smelled of lavendar. I'm sure no one ever dared mention it to him. His favorite color was orange & he supposedly had a penchant for orange shirts. I'm not saying anything... I'm just sayin' it's not what I expected since I've only seen him in black tux.

He once said to my friend (who was a 17-yr old jazz musician playing with big bands... in the late 60's), "Only wear black after 5, kid. Unless you're a creep." Such a way with words, our Frank.

I also remembered another known for not bathing, ever. Mao Tse Tung. One of his mistressess said he hadn't had a bath since he was a child... perhaps it was said to discredit him, who knows... but I've heard of stranger things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities