Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Woody Allen or George Clooney (i.e., their on-screen personas): who has more "true confidence&q
I'm a man, and I see Woody Allen as representing more "true confidence". 2 13.33%
I'm a man, and I see George Clooney as representing more "true confidence". 5 33.33%
I'm a woman, and I see Woody Allen as representing more "true confidence". 1 6.67%
I'm a woman, and I see George Clooney as representing more "true confidence". 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 03:13 PM

286 posts, read 366,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Confidence isn't about "showing yourself and breaking the appealing image." I'd say it's actually the opposite, it is having an appealing self-image that does not break.
One of the hallmarks of true confidence is the ability to confide. Allen characters do that to a fault. Clooney characters, to the extent they had any insecurities or neurotic quirks, would keep them hidden. For example, everyone has fears, but fear of ever revealing that you even have any fears is pathological. Anyway, that may not be the whole enchilada of confidence, but it's certainly a meaty part. For this part, the point goes to Allen.

That reminds me, I need to go get lunch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
You read too much into the word confidence on here or other dating sites.. its womenspeak for good looking guy who has the balls to approach them
In this day and age, I guess that's what it boils down to. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 03:18 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
George Clooney and Woody Allen are actors. When they are onscreen - they are not being themselves - they are being different characters. Are you asking us which one of them plays more confident characters? Since most of us probably don't know Mr. Clooney and Mr. Allen personally - we can't possibly say which person is more confident in real life. And I'd say that Mr. Clooney has played a more wide variety of characters than Mr. Allen has. But overall - I'd say that Mr. Clooney plays more confident characters while Mr. Allen plays more self deprecating characters - which is not a sign of confidence. But at the end of the day - every movie is different and every character is different. I find it strange to try to compare the body of work of two actors and compare something like confidence. It's sort of like asking which one has a better sense of humor or which one is more intelligent.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans63 View Post
One of the hallmarks of true confidence is the ability to confide. Allen characters do that to a fault. Clooney characters, to the extent they had any insecurities or neurotic quirks, would keep them hidden. For example, everyone has fears, but fear of ever revealing that you even have any fears is pathological. Anyway, that may not be the whole enchilada of confidence, but it's certainly a meaty part. For this part, the point goes to Allen.

That reminds me, I need to go get lunch.

In this day and age, I guess that's what it boils down to. Oh well.

[SIZE=4]con·fi·dence[/SIZE]

   /[SIZE=3]ˈkɒndəns[/SIZE]/ Show Spelled[kon-fi-duhns] Show IPA
noun 1. full trust; belief in the powers, trustworthiness, or reliability of a person or thing: We have every confidence in their ability to succeed.

2. belief in oneself and one's powers or abilities; self-confidence; self-reliance; assurance: His lack of confidence defeated him.

3.certitude; assurance: He described the situation with such confidence that the audience believed him completely.

4. a confidential communication: to exchange confidences.

5. (especially in European politics) the wish to retain an incumbent government in office, as shown by a vote in a particular issue: a vote of confidence.

It sounds like you are going by #4 while I see this type of confidence more as definitions #2 and 3.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:28 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
One of the hallmarks of true confidence is the ability to confide.
i don't agree. i think of confidence as a sort of self-delusion that comes from having an irrationally optimistic view of who we are, even if it is only temporary.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:31 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
I can't. I voted Clooney because I wouldn't know woody allen if he walked through the door. As far as I know I've never seen him act, nor seen anything he's ever made.
That's sad, dude. You should go rent Annie Hall or Manhattan.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's sad, dude. You should go rent Annie Hall or Manhattan.
black and white?

that's before my time.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:45 PM

286 posts, read 366,358 times
Quote:
One of the hallmarks of true confidence is the ability to confide.
Quote:
i don't agree. i think of confidence as a sort of self-delusion that comes from having an irrationally optimistic view of who we are, even if it is only temporary.
Well, then it's interesting that "confidence" and "confide" come from the same root. Funny, that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
2. belief in oneself and one's powers or abilities; self-confidence; self-reliance; assurance: His lack of confidence defeated him.
If a guy goes around showing all the goofiness that everyone else is afraid to show, how's that not confident? It speaks to lack of fear.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:46 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
that's before my time
Most anything worth it happened before your time.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Most anything worth it happened before your time.
i know, i always wanted to be a pirate.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Well, then it's interesting that "confidence" and "confide" come from the same root. Funny, that.

If a guy goes around showing all the goofiness that everyone else is afraid to show, how's that not confident? It speaks to lack of fear.
[SIZE=4]Word Origin & History [/SIZE]

confidence

c.1430, from L. confidentia, from confidentem, prp. of confidere "to have full trust or reliance," from con-, intensive prefix, + fidere "to trust" (see faith). For sense of "swindle" see con (3)

The point I was trying to make is that it seems that it means different things to different people. As there are many definitions - I'm not saying one is right or one is wrong.

We also have our own different interpretations of the characters that these men have portrayed. I don't think goofiness is equal to confidence. Clooney was plenty goofy in Oh Brother, Where Art Thou. I see Allen as more self deprecating than self confident.

But once again - comparing movie roles for something like confidence doesn't make much sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities