Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 09:46 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,448 times

Advertisements

He was great in Rebel Without a Cause. I think that the hearthrob of the 50s was between Paul Newman and James Dean. But Dean won hands down as an actor and someone the public would take to. They knew each other by the way. Went to the same acting school together. But Dean wasn't a real rebel in real life. He was a dissolustioned romantic. Who knows what he would have turned into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2011, 09:45 AM

2,757 posts, read 3,999,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
He was great in Rebel Without a Cause. I think that the hearthrob of the 50s was between Paul Newman and James Dean. But Dean won hands down as an actor and someone the public would take to. They knew each other by the way. Went to the same acting school together. But Dean wasn't a real rebel in real life. He was a dissolustioned romantic. Who knows what he would have turned into.
I'm sorry he's gone. Wish he had lived a long life.
His best acting was in Giant. He didn't seem like he was acting. Dean fit the part of Jett Rink. He WAS Jett Rink. Loved the scene when he struck oil.

Last edited by Soda120; 11-24-2011 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 11-25-2011, 01:48 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,292,638 times
He represented the changing times with youth in the 50's. He sported the greaser look and tough guy persona of the Elvis era, and his movies were popular. Paul Newman was popular but he did not target a particular audience.

Personally, I've always found his acting skills and even his looks way over-rated.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:45 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,125 times
that era of the 50s also introduced a new kind of actor, what we call now as "method acting" in which the actor really explores the inner workings of his character and lives it, feels it, staying in character even when the cameras aren't rolling, actors like James Dean, Marlon Brando, Montgomery Clift

Old 11-25-2011, 03:00 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,784,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
He represented the changing times with youth in the 50's. He sported the greaser look and tough guy persona of the Elvis era, and his movies were popular. Paul Newman was popular but he did not target a particular audience.

Personally, I've always found his acting skills and even his looks way over-rated.
my sentiments exactly

Old 11-26-2011, 03:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
I'm sorry he's gone. Wish he had lived a long life.
His best acting was in Giant. He didn't seem like he was acting. Dean fit the part of Jett Rink. He WAS Jett Rink. Loved the scene when he struck oil.
Oh, yeah. When he says, "You and all the rest of you stinkin' sons of Benedicts". It is one of the most perfectly delivered lines of all time.

He's just tremendous in that movie.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:41 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,538,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post

When celebs die die young, we tend to immortalized and even embellish their work. I've seen Dean's movies and really didn't see "exceptional" talent! A very "good" actor? Yes... but I think it was the new look he made popular.....the persona of cool etc...that made him an icon. Much like we've done with Marilyn.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:08 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,148,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
When celebs die die young, we tend to immortalized and even embellish their work. I've seen Dean's movies and really didn't see "exceptional" talent! A very "good" actor? Yes... but I think it was the new look he made popular.....the persona of cool etc...that made him an icon. Much like we've done with Marilyn.
True.
When the public doesn't actually SEE them grow older, take lesser parts and not be on the hot list any longer.....then they tend to make them into more than they actually were.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:24 PM

8,300 posts, read 13,432,374 times
I am not a romantic chick so I cannot speak for his looks but I thought he was decent looking nevertheless. His acting? Blah....mediocre at best based on his performance in Rebel Without a Cause.
In RWAC, it was more overacting than acting imho. He looked and acted like a mumbling timid guy most of the movie. I think the media and teens of the 50s exaggerated him as an actor a bit probably due to, like some of you mentioned, his early departure.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:55 AM

142 posts, read 222,885 times
He played the role in Rebel very well. He was perfect for that part. And I think he photographs beautifully. In many of his photos, he looks like any kid today with the disheveled hair and bored look that's still fashionable today.

I do think he over emotes like many inexperience method actors. Even in Rebel, there are instances of acting hamminess, so yeah, I think he's a little over-rated as an actor. That doesn't mean he was a bad actor. He did have a lot of potential, but judging from his early performances, I wouldn't say he had given any performances that I'd consider GREAT.

Method acting was still new and revolutionary and you can see Monty Clift and Brando as obvious influences. So, as one of the few practitioners of the method, he was amazing for that time, but it doesn't hold up canonically like the performances of Clift or Brando.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities