Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 10:37 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Adele is overrated; she lacks range and she's only hot because she's white. You have black artists who have been putting out that type of music for years [and doing it better] but no one pays any attention to them.
Adele has a excellent voice. It has nothing to do with her being white. In fact the odds were against her because she not a stick skinny pop singer. She doesn't dress like a hooker like most pop stars. Not only is Adele a great singer but she deserve respect because she is showing women you don't have to look like those other pop singers to be successful. You dont have to talk about sex at the time. My daughters ages 5 and 11 and I love Adele and we are black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 01:40 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
Adele has a excellent voice. It has nothing to do with her being white. In fact the odds were against her because she not a stick skinny pop singer. She doesn't dress like a hooker like most pop stars. Not only is Adele a great singer but she deserve respect because she is showing women you don't have to look like those other pop singers to be successful. You dont have to talk about sex at the time. My daughters ages 5 and 11 and I love Adele and we are black.

Exactly

Sometimes we forget that singers just sing.
Not all singers are drop dead gorgeous or have the greatest moves, they were blessed with a great voice, they don't need anything else.

I love to listen to Adele, i dont care if she doesnt prance all around the stage, same thing with Sade, she can belt out a tune, but does not prance all around the stage either.

they dont need to

FWIW, I think Rihanna is gross to look at, I dont know what it is about her, but she schevees me out !!

Old 04-30-2012, 02:19 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
Quote:
Agreed.

I get the argument that there are other throwback blues/soul acts of color that haven't broken through (like Sharon Jones), or other singer/songwriter females of color with similar broken heart vibes (Ledsi, etc) that have not had mainstream success. But that does not take away from Adele for me either. She's awesome and I love her for it.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
Quote:
Adele is overrated; she lacks range and she's only hot because she's white. You have black artists who have been putting out that type of music for years [and doing it better] but no one pays any attention to them.
Quote:
I think both of you are right, to a certain degree. I think Adele has a great voice, especially in the lower register, but I think her overall range might be limited. Sometimes, she seems to strain for some of those higher notes. But that may have been due to (or caused) vocal issues that she recently had surgery for. Her voice is great, no matter what race she is. However, her style of vocals and tone come off as being "different" and "unique" BECAUSE she is white and fairly young. If India.Arie came out sounding like that on her first album (and I do think they have some vocal similarities), she would have been nominated for what, 11 Grammys, and taken home zero, like what actually did happen when she came out, competing against Alicia Keys. But that's a whole other argument.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:39 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,721,910 times
I love Rihanna. I think she's an incredibly fierce, fearless, successful female. I also think more recently she has created songs, videos, etc. that are more sexual than the 'umbrella' song we are used to. But when you think about it, she's almost 25. Are the things she's singing about really that different from what a majority of 25 year olds engage in?

I agree with what some of you have said- just because she's famous doesn't mean that she has to be a role model. Adults should guide children in following role models that follow the morals they want their children to follow.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
I think both of you are right, to a certain degree. I think Adele has a great voice, especially in the lower register, but I think her overall range might be limited. Sometimes, she seems to strain for some of those higher notes. But that may have been due to (or caused) vocal issues that she recently had surgery for. Her voice is great, no matter what race she is. However, her style of vocals and tone come off as being "different" and "unique" BECAUSE she is white and fairly young. If India.Arie came out sounding like that on her first album (and I do think they have some vocal similarities), she would have been nominated for what, 11 Grammys, and taken home zero, like what actually did happen when she came out, competing against Alicia Keys. But that's a whole other argument.
I don't think Adele and India Arie sound anything alike. Indie Arie is more Neo-Soul. I think Alicia Keys has a more unique style than Indie Arie. Alicia Keys is the new Hip Hop and R&B girl. She is much like Mary J Blige in terms of capturing 3 or more different genres of music. Alicia Keys can do instrumental, hip hop, R&B and soul. Indie Arie is aimed at 1 genre of music. Don't get me wrong, I love Indie voice and style but she is not very expandable in terms of the music industry.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:56 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Rihanna is a mixed bag of chips. I like some of her like like We Found Love, Umbrella and S&M, but she doesn't have the influence lasting power that other singers like Beyonce or Lady Gaga have. She is neither a great dancer nor a great singer live, IMO.
And that's why Rihanna is a singles artist. Her light will shine only as long as she's working. She lacks appeal and longevity.

Quote:
I never said she couldn't sing and yes her race does play a part. You have people like Norah Jones and Eminiem come out with soul and an urban style and they are praised and sell millions. People like Melanie Fiona can barely sell 10 albums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
I agree. I like Adele, but she will play out quickly unless she switches it up.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:54 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Adele has her own fan base, she will not fade out.

Rihanna will fade out, once the teens that listen to her grow up, they will forget her.

She ain't no Ms. Ross.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
I never said she couldn't sing and yes her race does play a part. You have people like Norah Jones and Eminiem come out with soul and an urban style and they are praised and sell millions. People like Melanie Fiona can barely sell 10 albums.

I agree. I like Adele, but she will play out quickly unless she switches it up.
It has nothing to do with her race. There are plenty of black artist that are successful. Jay Z , Sade, Mary J.Blige and Alicia Keys sells millions of albums. They are BLACK.

Personally, I don't care for Melanie Fiona. Just because their is a personal preference of music doesn't mean a artist is or isn't good because of his/her race. That's a little overboard. I don't see why people think Kayne West is so amazing but I don't base that on his race. I don't like when people use race for or against anything they can find.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:26 PM

119 posts, read 99,581 times
Quote:
Thank you!

Am I the only one that sees something wrong with the original post???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities