Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 09:36 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I disagree in that I think Rhianna is becoming less and less relevant when it comes to music. Seems like the only time people even talk about her it's about her relationship w/ Chris Brown, her looks, or her risque behavior. She's crossing the line of being famous just because she's famous as opposed for her music (which, let's face it, isn't that great). There's no lasting power in that one, at least not without the added "benefit" of controversy.
That's not true. Most of her singles are usually number 1 on the charts the first week. Rihanna's tour last year raked in 90 million bucks. I don't call that less relevant. If fact, she is more relevant than most artists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 11:53 AM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
I wish she would go away. I think her music is terrible and on top of that I don't think she sounds good either.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:53 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times
people like Rihanna just perform a song or a dance, they are not meant to be rolemodels..what's with society making everyone into a hero, rolemodel, someone to look op to ?? Do we need that many people "raising our kids", maybe being a rolemodel is a parent's job?

Old 01-27-2012, 12:46 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Just the latest in a long line of nice girls gone bad in Hollywood.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:52 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
First and foremost, Rihanna is an ARTIST!! She is NOT a role model for children. Same as with any celebrity who you see on TMZ, MTV, Movies, Videos, etc. They are NOT role models. Anyone who thinks they may be I think are a bit silly in the head. While you may or may not agree with me that she (or others like her) are ARTISTS, the fact remains that they ARE. And as such, IMO, artists should be free to create whatever "art" they so desire without anyone saying "You should or should not do that.....".
While you are right about parents, no line of business is beyond ethics. You might as well say "My job is to produce oil, what do I care about spillages?"

Old 01-27-2012, 12:52 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
While I am not a fan of Rhianna, I dont think she's a bad influence on anyone. As I have said before, with art in any and all of its forms, you have take it for what it is and NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER try to influence the artists to do otherwise.

I am completely and totally against limiting or preventing any artist of creating and doing their work. This isnt communist china, Soviet Union, or right winged muslim country. This is America where we have freedom!!!! If you dont like it, dont watch it!!!

If you have children, YOU should be their role model and biggest influence and think that singers or actors are.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:54 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
While you are right about parents, no line of business is beyond ethics. You might as well say "My job is to produce oil, what do I care about spillages?"
Apples and orange. Invalid argument. Rhianna being sexy or Ted Nugent singing about the devil is not going to harm the environment/planet.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:11 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
These young female singers have no real vocal range. So sex is the only thing left in their arsenal.

Young Gladys Knight

Riahnna

What a huge difference in style, talent and taste.....we have fallen so far as a culture. Our children really think that the second photo is how it's suppose to be done.

Last edited by picmod; 01-09-2014 at 06:02 PM..

Old 01-28-2012, 01:15 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
She's had a string of number one hits lately. She's not loosing popularity at all, she's at the top of her game. The only females more successful right now are probably Adele and Katy Perry.

The We Found Love video is supposed to be a cautionary tale. She leaves him at the end of the video. Speculation is it is based on her relationship with Chris Brown.

That said, I am sick of the extremely sexual thing she's got going on right now. I find it ridiculous. Her songs just boil down to "do you have a big penis? Do me now! Harder! Faster!" At least We Found Love was something of a departure. That song I like.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:40 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Anyone pushing boundaries or being different always catches interest because most people are going through life adhering to some norm and celebrities who aren't allow them to live vicariously. They provide a release fantasy.
The disturbing thing is how far out there you have to be now to push a boundary. Where is this headed? "I love the way it hurts" is just an awful thing but an example of where its going. The more people there are the more it seems like we are becoming desensitized lizard brain animals with no emphathy, only in the moment gratification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities