Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2012, 09:10 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I guess now Alpharetta is Atlanta?
Yes, it is. People refer to metropolitan areas, get over it.

When was the last time you heard someone say, "I'm going to Paradise, Nevada. We're staying at the MGM Grand!" Most of the The Strip is not in Las Vegas at all, but people still say they are going to Las Vegas.

Nothing around Disneyworld is in Orlando. It's not even in the same county. But people still say they are going to Orlando when they are going to Disneyworld.

Alpharetta is Atlanta. So is Marietta. So is Douglasville. So is Johns Creek. So is Lithonia. People speak in terms of metropolitan areas.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:21 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I am at a loss for words, and my sincere sorrow to that of her daugher.

In her prime, Whiteny had the most beautiful uplifting voice. An angelic voice, my sincere sorrow go's to that of the family.

Just a shame, no matter the upbringing, one has, after they get a glimpse into the hollyweird lifestyle things happen. I hope it was not drugs. She has battled demons in her past, i truly thought she was on a path to recovery, such a shame.

The reasons don't matter at a time like this, why she got on drugs or who got her hooked is not important at a time like this. What is important is that her daughter will now be without a Mother, and the life of Whiteny taken at 48 yrs of age, is much to soon!

We don't know all of the details of her death yet, but her voice is one that will truly be missed. Bless you Whitney.

Her voice will surely be missed, and a what a waste of talent.

The Body Guard, with Whitney, i will neve forget, and her voice in that was magnificent. she truly gave me chills.
I feel that during Whitney's quest, she had one of the most majestic voices ever. I am deeply saddened by this.
Whitney rest in peace.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:30 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Really sad to hear this. I also posted on the Entertainment forum here:

So sad over this. I'm an 80's baby, so I grew up listening to Whitney. Sung "Greatest Love of All" at my elementary graduation ceremony.

Was driving tonight and the radio stations were playing her songs. Incredibly sad....just incredibly sad to hear.

Though she's had a troubled past, she seemed to be doing better. This is a shock.

RIP Whitney. God has added a beautiful voice to His chorus.
Could not have said it any better, how utterly true. God now has the most angelic voice to his choir.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:33 PM

151 posts, read 366,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Yes, it is. People refer to metropolitan areas, get over it.

When was the last time you heard someone say, "I'm going to Paradise, Nevada. We're staying at the MGM Grand!" Most of the The Strip is not in Las Vegas at all, but people still say they are going to Las Vegas.

Nothing around Disneyworld is in Orlando. It's not even in the same county. But people still say they are going to Orlando when they are going to Disneyworld.

Alpharetta is Atlanta. So is Marietta. So is Douglasville. So is Johns Creek. So is Lithonia. People speak in terms of metropolitan areas.
Just a difference of opinion, but i've never encountered that outside of Atlanta. I grew up in a small unincorporated town less than a mile from the bigger city, and my family never once told me i was from the bigger city. maybe because of the crime and negative stigma attached to it but i think other places have their own identity. i dont blame anyone for not wanting to say they are from a place like douglasville which is a country place, and home of henry lee lucas and ottis toole. but they have nothing in common with atlanta. i think atlanta has this inferiority complex, being on the same coast as new york, and wants to compare itself to new york. like that population sign on peachtree street, by the old tgi friday's, we all know that's a lie. but we tolerate it anyway, because outsiders don't know the difference.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:34 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,638 times
It's just so shockingly sad! I've been watching the coverage on Piers Morgan & Don Lemmon at CNN. Reports are saying that her mother Cissy talked to 30 minutes before she passed and said everything was fine!! I can't imagine what her mother is going through!

Old 02-11-2012, 09:37 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
May not be surprising, but still very sad... as a child of the '80s (born in '76) I literally grew up on her music, along with that of Michael Jackson. I hope they're both resting in peace now.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:38 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,324,645 times
Default Thanks Whitney H, for all the memorable songs...

RIP Whitney Houstan...wow...can't believe she's gone...what's going on...life indeed is short...wow..

Saving all my Love for You - Amazing Live Whitney Houston - Tonight show - YouTube

Old 02-11-2012, 09:49 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,327,366 times
I was never a fan but a life is a life.... if it were a homeless person dying young, would anyone be just as upset? It's a shame that fame makes such a difference in people's reaction..

Old 02-11-2012, 09:54 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,983,727 times
R.I.P Whitney !!!!

One of the greatest singers ever !

She will always remain the singer that others are compared to.

I think her voice singing "I will always love you" will live forever in the heads of her many fans.

Her high vocals were astounding.

Like Michael Jackson ... another great leaves the world way too soon.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:54 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
I was never a fan but a life is a life.... if it were a homeless person dying young, would anyone be just as upset? It's a shame that fame makes such a difference in people's reaction..
It's not such a mystery, really. When somebody is in the public eye for so long, especially someone as notable as Whitney Houston, people WILL mourn for their loss... that doesn't mean other lives are less important, it's just that people are more affected by one with which they're familiar. If you have a family member pass away, is it weird to mourn for them instead of a stranger who died the same day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities