Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 09:09 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,576 times

Advertisements

I don't know if whitewashed is the correct word but they seem to be without real character and not as interesting as people as the acters of older times. And they all seem to be polictically correct in their views. At least most of them. Its seems the older acters were more interesting to know what was going in their private lives and who they really were as people. They seemed to have more character than the modern day acters. Maybe its just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 10:05 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,430,789 times
I agree. Imo, like the rest of society, they have become generic. They conform and reflect the politically correct doctrines that mandate individual volition and independent tastes and outlook are forbidden. So out the window goes originality and creative character developement.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:34 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
I agree. Imo, like the rest of society, they have become generic. They conform and reflect the politically correct doctrines that mandate individual volition and independent tastes and outlook are forbidden. So out the window goes originality and creative character developement.
Great Point....self induced incarsaration out of fear for experience where, the told supposed stardom is all.

Only a limp and weak shadow of individual from the outset.

The talent search is to blame IMHO, the talented creative courage is simply not recognized.

The audience however is no so daft, the production fears, the organization of story and plot must be manipulated in guise of the tainted participants.

The full end result is a series of distractions, fooling for content.

Last edited by stargazzer; 02-14-2012 at 11:42 PM..

Old 02-14-2012, 11:42 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,165 times
Well back in the "old days" the number of gossip columnists was limited - and they could be bought off by the studios. It was fairly easy to cover up anything that might offend part of the ticket-buying public - so as long as an actor played the game, and gave the gossip columnists some material, they could live a fairly normal life, and know that most of their private life would remain private.

But now? Where every little thing a famous person does is public information? They can't get away with as much - and so it's human nature in that situation for them to pull back.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:52 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,073 times
My opinion is that if Edward G Robinson was someones neighbor lets say...a plumber. One afternoon he tells everybody at a barbecue that hes going to try and become an actor. As you guys know 99.999% of the neighbours would think hes had a few two many, but none the less a nice little funny guy and therefore a way to congradulate yourself for persevering with the oddity
Problem is....my opinion is that if he did follow through and present himself, he would get much the same reaction....no?

Then where is he? ( comparable talent, no disrespect here)

Old 02-15-2012, 10:02 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
Well back in the "old days" the number of gossip columnists was limited - and they could be bought off by the studios. It was fairly easy to cover up anything that might offend part of the ticket-buying public - so as long as an actor played the game, and gave the gossip columnists some material, they could live a fairly normal life, and know that most of their private life would remain private.

True. In times past, celebrity private lives were lied about and sheltered. Now it's a free-for-all and I guess current day celebrities get nervous about their public persona.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:22 AM

22,844 posts, read 6,435,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post

But now? Where every little thing a famous person does is public information? They can't get away with as much - and so it's human nature in that situation for them to pull back.
Absolutely....lots of media digging for dirt, youtube showing everything they do and say....a lot went on "back in the day" that was kept from the press.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:32 AM

8,317 posts, read 13,447,487 times
What is an "acter/acctress"? Sounds like an actor/actress who also works part-time as an accountant.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:51 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I don't know if whitewashed is the correct word but they seem to be without real character and not as interesting as people as the acters of older times. And they all seem to be polictically correct in their views. At least most of them. Its seems the older acters were more interesting to know what was going in their private lives and who they really were as people. They seemed to have more character than the modern day acters. Maybe its just me.

I kind of get what your saying but I'm not sure. I think they are very bland today. Without a lot of personality. Don't get me wrong there are some who seem to have it, but many don't. Take that kid from the Twilight movies. The buff one. Seems like the most boring actor in the world. No charm whatsoever. Yet, he gets his own leading role movie. What? He's so lame. He only got it because he is muscular and apparently good looking. Although, I think he looks odd. Actors of the past had more charisma and charm about them.

It definately doesn't help that many actors and actresses all look fake with their perfect teeth and fish lips. Actors of the past had quirks. Something many of us could relate to. The odd thing is that actors in the past looked better. Even in this world of everything fake, so many actors and actressess look fake. They don't look better than the leading men and women of the past..Look at half the movies today. Like that movie Timberlake just put out. He's a freaking singer for god sake, not an actor. He couldn't carry a leading man role. That movie sucked. Let the actors sing and let the actors act. Hollywood has changed alot. It's beauty over substance. Yet, I think the actresses in yesteryear were better looking..

Look at the great actors of the past. Robert Deniro, Al Pacino, Gene Hackman, Clint Eastwood, etc, etc. I could name a whole lot more. But I used a small sample. What do they all have in common? They are slightly above average in looks. They have flaws. Yet they have a charisma and charm that none of the actors but a few have today..

Old 02-16-2012, 03:12 AM

662 posts, read 1,281,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
No, they were just more protected back then. The studios used to contract actors like property, trading them between studios and deciding what movies to places them in. They controlled every inch of their careers and private lives and the local media at that time were more willing to work with the studios to create an actor's image and bury bad behavior.

Marriages were arranged between many actors to present an image of family, heterosexuality or just simple costar coupling, usually in conjunction of a film opening to raise publicity. Names were changed, looks were changed, backgrounds and childhood stories were invented.

It was much more of an illusion than it is now. Now, actors are responsible for themselves. Some are more successful at creating images while others simply live their lives. Their destructiveness is exploited, their looks and behavior and remarks are uncensored for everyone to pick apart.

The audience sees actors more as they really are today, than they ever did back then. Marilyn Monroe, was a brilliant creation. Lindsay Lohan is the horrible real thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities