Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:48 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,374,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
I can kinda see the Britney comparison honestly. Though Britney was known for her dancing/performance capabilities back in the day (as well as her looks) but other than that they are similar. So I guess I can see Rihanna being as much of a "legend" as Britney.

Then again, does Rihanna have a song/video as iconic as "Hit Me Baby One More Time" turned out to be? All I can think of is "Umbrella" and while that was a big hit, it wasn't a cultural touchtone or anything.

As for Beyonce, I do feel like she already has that icon thing sewn up. She could not sell another record from here on out and its hard to imagine her fading out of people's memories. Between Crazy In Love, Single Ladies and the whole Destiny's Child drama I think she's set.
Her most current song "We found Love" is very popular. Her last album "Loud" was and still is very popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 03:24 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,442,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
Her most current song "We found Love" is very popular. Her last album "Loud" was and still is very popular.
Artists such as Rihanna have (music) careers with expiration dates on them. They have a string of hits for several years running and then the music buying public moves on.

Rihanna's career is equivalent to a JLo who had a series of successful songs/albums and then her musical popularity waned. However, Jennifer Lopez was smart enough (she admitted that she took the advice of Sean Combs) to launch a fragrance and clothing line plus she also has done commercials for several products. JLo also has done over 20 films and now American Idol. Not to mention that she also produces. Beyonce has followed the same path...films, clothing line, etc.

If Rihanna does not make a successful transition into acting (or launch a successful clothing line) then her popularity/revenue stream/career will be done by the close of the 2010s. Rihanna herself does not have much of a personality and her public persona is sort of uninteresting, unsexy, raunchiness. Its like the handed a random mic to a run-of-the-mill video vixen and tried to turn her into a "star". Her whole "good girl gone bad" act seemed very lackluster and contrived. And finally, Rihanna has not become a household name for her singing and performing; most people who aren't in her music buying public only know her for getting beat up by Chris Brown so she lacks universal appeal.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:27 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,835,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Do you think Rihanna will become legendary? she's breaking a lot of music records with so many no. 1s. do you think she will have longetivity in the music industry or fade away?
LMAO. Legendary?!??!!?? LMAO!! Are you serious? LOLOLOLOLOL Legendary as in legendary like Elvis? Whitney Houson? Madonna? LOL. LOL. LOL.

What records are she breaking for #1s? This I have got to know.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:04 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,104,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Artists such as Rihanna have (music) careers with expiration dates on them. They have a string of hits for several years running and then the music buying public moves on.

Rihanna's career is equivalent to a JLo who had a series of successful songs/albums and then her musical popularity waned. However, Jennifer Lopez was smart enough (she admitted that she took the advice of Sean Combs) to launch a fragrance and clothing line plus she also has done commercials for several products. JLo also has done over 20 films and now American Idol. Not to mention that she also produces. Beyonce has followed the same path...films, clothing line, etc.

If Rihanna does not make a successful transition into acting (or launch a successful clothing line) then her popularity/revenue stream/career will be done by the close of the 2010s. Rihanna herself does not have much of a personality and her public persona is sort of uninteresting, unsexy, raunchiness. Its like the handed a random mic to a run-of-the-mill video vixen and tried to turn her into a "star". Her whole "good girl gone bad" act seemed very lackluster and contrived. And finally, Rihanna has not become a household name for her singing and performing; most people who aren't in her music buying public only know her for getting beat up by Chris Brown so she lacks universal appeal.
How does she lack universal appeal when she's breaking records with selling out concert arenas? IMO, she seems more famous than JLo because she tours. JLo never really toured and didn't have nearly as many hits as Rihanna.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:13 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,493,597 times
Quote:
she's breaking a lot of music records with so many no. 1s. do you think she will have longetivity in the music industry or fade away?

Are you kidding??

Is this a serious question??? Really???

Old 02-27-2012, 04:27 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,442,745 times
Quote:
How does she lack universal appeal when she's breaking records with selling out concert arenas? IMO, she seems more famous than JLo because she tours. JLo never really toured and didn't have nearly as many hits as Rihanna.
Do you understand the term "universal"? Rihanna is popular with only a limited demographic (tweens thru 20somethings). That's it.

Here's the thing...artists' careers have peaks; just ask the New Kids on the Block, N'Sync or the Backstreet Boys....they all once sold out arenas too. But now they are a 30 minute episode of "Where Are They Now?" Even the breakout star of the boy band era Justin Timberlake isn't a so-called "legend".

Look, we all understand that you love Rihanna's music and believe that she is the hottest thing since the invention of the wheel but some of us have seen this movie already (numerous times, in fact) and "legendary" status is not simply bestowed upon the current flavor of the month...Rihanna has a long row to hoe if she will make it into the realms of the great legends.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:54 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,288,490 times
Quote:
she's breaking a lot of music records with so many no. 1s. do you think she will have longetivity in the music industry or fade away?
Not. at. all. It seems like she's making more headlines for hooking up with Chris Brown again than for her music. Her music may be #1s now, but they are highly forgettable. I honestly don't think she's that talented to begin with. She'll be fading away soon enough. On the bright side for her, she's such a looker that, if she doesn't get involved with drugs/cigarettes/ Chris Brown's fists ( ) and keeps those looks, she could model or become a spokesperson. If critics laud her role in Battleship (will there be ANYTHING praiseworthy in that movie???), she could act.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

I didn't read any posts in this thread before responding to the OP, but this is exactly what I was thinking, you just said it much better! I agree that her shtick is tired, especially w/ Britney doing it currently. I've spoken to people who've gone to her concerts and they've all said how lackluster they are, just her grinding on stage and multiple skimpy costume changes. I don't even know if she's selling out venues now or not.

Along the lines of JLo, Jessica Simpson is apparently making a killing w/ her shoe line. Rhianna has a style that is unique enough to launch a line. Personally, her style annoys me, but I'm not a fan of hers in any sense so wouldn't be in the demographics anyways.

I'm 27 years old and I can't think of many signers in my generation who'd be considered legendary. Maybe Adele. I like some lesser known artists like Janelle Monae and Florence Welch (Florence + the Machine), but they don't have widespread, universal appeal. Looks like we're stuck w/ Carrie Underwood or Taylor Swift (they have the potential of being more legendary tan Rhianna, IMHO, but they're also more country music types, so who knows). The past 10-15 years have rather sucked when it comes to music and new artists

Old 02-27-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
"Crank Dat Soulja Boy" was also very popular and was even nominated for a Grammy *shudder*, but now one even talks about Soulja Boy now, do they?

It take more than concerts and Billboard hits to be a legend. Most music legends have garnered critical acclaim (Rhianna hasn't for the most part), shown diversity in their projects (Rhianna hasn't really done this either), and have a certain appeal to the masses (Rhianna is very pretty, but beyond that, her appeal is limited). She's no legend.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:41 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,773,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
Oh yes, she's popular. And good for her!

But that's not what I am talking about. If you want to be legendary, you have to do something that transends just being a hit, or even a smash. When you get to the point that even grandmas know who you are and can sing a song or recall an image of you, then you might have a shot. LOL. If you go past just a hit to creating something that becomes totally part of the larger culture and/or changes music, then you can be legendary.

Taio Cruz' "Dynamite" is a HUGE hit that stayed on the radio for a year and sold an insane amount of downloads worldwide, but that won't make him a legend. People won't remember his name 10 years from now, at least not in the US. Rihanna has Dynamite like hits (and that's great) but is she really "the voice of a generation"? Madonna couldn't sing either but she was the first to put together a total package in the music video age and she sold the snot out of it. She made a lot of bold statements about female sexuality as power through her music and image. She became an icon and will be thought of as legendary. Rihanna really hasn't shown that level of effect on the world IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities