Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:04 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,374,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
LOL at those who are seriously placing the likes of Rihanna in the same category of Michael Jackson, Elvis, Madonna or even Mariah Carey.

Three of those four have/had amazing voices and the third had an amazing ability to reinvent and stay ahead of the curve in order to maintain a career with unheard of longevity. Rihanna has neither the talent nor the intellect to do either.

So the question is: Are Britney Spears, The Bangles, MC Hammer, Donna Summer, New Kids on the Block, Vanilla Ice, the Village People, Jennifer Lopez, the Monkees "legends"?
According to MTV and Rolling Stones, Britney Spears is a legend. I also have heard of Donna Summers and The Bangles considered the same.

Music is on a different level than it was back in the 80's and 90's. People are into different types of music and entertainment. What people considered real music now is completely different than 20 years ago.

Madonna is a good example. Madonna is one of my favorites but she was just as trashy as Rihanna is now. Remember, during the time Madonna came out, even talking about sex in music was enough to get in trouble in album sales with the public. Madonna was all about sex during her time. Madonna was not a singer but more of a entertainer at best. I think Rihanna is in the same category of being a entertainer.

Obviously, I am not saying Rihanna will be a legend because I said I don't care to much for all her music. But based on the change in music, the fans response and her popularity. I think she has a shot. No one can really say.

People thought that Chris Brown's career was over after what he did to Rihanna. But that couldn't be further from the truth. It fact,Chris Brown is MORE successful. He just won a Grammy after having a very successful album. No predicted that. Most people said he was done. His career was over. You can have the strongest opinion but history in music shows that no one can predict. Not with Chris Brown, Madonna, Britney Spears etc.
So no one can really say with the music industry and culture changing with the generations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,696,161 times
OP: I think she will be around for a long time and has proven she's not a flash in the pan already. I don't think some people really realize how many music records she breaks b/c the focus usually isn't on this, it's on some weird fashion thing she does or relationships. I don't think she will be 'legendary' that's pushing it. But like I said, she will be around for a while because she writes a lot of catchy, hit songs. That will keep anybody relevant.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:23 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,442,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
According to MTV and Rolling Stones, Britney Spears is a legend. I also have heard of Donna Summers and The Bangles considered the same.

Music is on a different level than it was back in the 80's and 90's. People are into different types of music and entertainment. What people considered real music now is completely different than 20 years ago.

Madonna is a good example. Madonna is one of my favorites but she was just as trashy as Rihanna is now. Remember, during the time Madonna came out, even talking about sex in music was enough to get in trouble in album sales with the public. Madonna was all about sex during her time. Madonna was not a singer but more of a entertainer at best. I think Rihanna is in the same category of being a entertainer.

Obviously, I am not saying Rihanna will be a legend because I said I don't care to much for all her music. But based on the change in music, the fans response and her popularity. I think she has a shot. No one can really say.

People thought that Chris Brown's career was over after what he did to Rihanna. But that couldn't be further from the truth. It fact,Chris Brown is MORE successful. He just won a Grammy after having a very successful album. No predicted that. Most people said he was done. His career was over. You can have the strongest opinion but history in music shows that no one can predict. Not with Chris Brown, Madonna, Britney Spears etc.
So no one can really say with the music industry and culture changing with the generations.
Sorry but Britney Spears is not on the same level as Michael Jackson or Elvis.

Madonna actually became a cultural icon, Rihanna is not and will not. The difference is that in the earlier years of Madonna's career, she became relevant to people who wouldn't necessarily buy her music, Rihanna has (and will) not. Britney Spears was only relevant to her music buying public, the general public know her more for her crazy relationships and her mental meltdown than her music or performances. The proof of this is just how quickly she has been forgotten. Twenty years from now new artists will not list Britney Spears or Rihanna as their "inspirations".

When I see the Grammys or the AMAs, I think about how sad it is that the younger generation is not being exposed to truly great performances by truly talented artists. There is such a vast void of greatness in the music industry that these young people are calling the mediocre "legends".

Old 02-28-2012, 10:27 AM

7,113 posts, read 8,596,740 times
Only if Chris Brown finishes the job...she will be come the poster girl for what happens when a woman takes an abuser back into her life!

Old 02-28-2012, 10:49 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,288,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
I happen to like Rihanna's music more than Adele. Adele's music is so boring to me
Yet Adele wins big awards, near world-wide critical and popular acclaim, and her album has been #1 in the UK and US for, what, 22 WEEKS now (and topped the charts in many other countries). You may not like her music, but your personal opinion does not a legend make. Adele wouldn't be called a legend just yet, but she's well on her way at this rate and she's definitely closer to that status than Rhianna.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Sorry but Britney Spears is not on the same level as Michael Jackson or Elvis.

Madonna actually became a cultural icon, Rihanna is not and will not. The difference is that in the earlier years of Madonna's career, she became relevant to people who wouldn't necessarily buy her music, Rihanna has (and will) not. Britney Spears was only relevant to her music buying public, the general public know her more for her crazy relationships and her mental meltdown than her music or performances. The proof of this is just how quickly she has been forgotten. Twenty years from now new artists will not list Britney Spears or Rihanna as their "inspirations".

When I see the Grammys or the AMAs, I think about how sad it is that the younger generation is not being exposed to truly great performances by truly talented artists. There is such a vast void of greatness in the music industry that these young people are calling the mediocre "legends".
That's your personal opinion. I think the opinion of MTV on Britney matters more than on this thread. Madonna didn't become a icon until 10-15 years in her career. Some people still consider her a "has been". How was Madaonna relevant to people that didn't buy her music? If that's the case, you can say that about almost every entertainer that has won a Grammy, Oscar, Golden Globe, died or topped the charts. I don't think that's true. For example, many of the movies and actors that win a Oscar, most haven't even heard of until they win that award. Then you seen that movie top the box office because it has buzz. Most fans go with what is popular at the time but not for a long time.

Britney is known for her entertainment. Where do you get that Britney has been forgotten? I think her last recent tour sold out around the world. Her album went platinum so if you call that "people forgetting about her" I think she would want them to keep forgetting. If all these celebrities are known for the negative parts of their lives, I wonder why they are all still so successful or relevant aka Chris Brown, Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan and Kim Kardashian.

Believe it or not, it says more about a celebrities success when they are gone for a while (not for forgotten) then can still sell out concerts and albums.

Believe me I am not a big fan of Rihanna or Britney but according what the public says about record sales, concert tours, awards and recongiation. I would say they are very successful. I am not basing this off an opinion of being a cultural icon or people forgetting about them.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:20 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,442,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
That's your personal opinion. I think the opinion of MTV on Britney matters more than on this thread. Madonna didn't become a icon until 10-15 years in her career. Some people still consider her a "has been". How was Madaonna relevant to people that didn't buy her music? If that's the case, you can say that about almost every entertainer that has won a Grammy, Oscar, Golden Globe, died or topped the charts. I don't think that's true. For example, many of the movies and actors that win a Oscar, most haven't even heard of until they win that award. Then you seen that movie top the box office because it has buzz. Most fans go with what is popular at the time but not for a long time.

Britney is known for her entertainment. Where do you get that Britney has been forgotten? I think her last recent tour sold out around the world. Her album went platinum so if you call that "people forgetting about her" I think she would want them to keep forgetting. If all these celebrities are known for the negative parts of their lives, I wonder why they are all still so successful or relevant aka Chris Brown, Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan and Kim Kardashian.

Believe it or not, it says more about a celebrities success when they are gone for a while (not for forgotten) then can still sell out concerts and albums.

Believe me I am not a big fan of Rihanna or Britney but according what the public says about record sales, concert tours, awards and recongiation. I would say they are very successful. I am not basing this off an opinion of being a cultural icon or people forgetting about them.
Chris Brown, Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan and Kim Kardashian.

The fact that these are the names that you list as the "successes" of today tells me all that I need to know about the faux-celeb mentality of the younger generation. Its actually a very sad commentary. Kim Kardashian? Really? How is she a "legend"? She is known for making a sex tape, dating athletes and a faux reality show. How does that make her a "legend"?

I'm in my 30s (so not old and not "young") and I can honestly say that there is a great deal of arrogance in "announcing" that one's contemporary artists are "legends". It would have been like me saying that the cast of 90210 (the original) and Vanilla Ice were legends.

Legends are not simply coronated amongst a wave of fleeting fame, its based on a body of work that is allowed to stand the test of time. A body of work that has influence, cultural impact and signifigance; transcends generational boundaries, is multidimensional.

There are MANY very talented, prolific, multifaceted artists that have surpassed the accomplishments of a Rihanna 100-fold and yet I still would not superficially elevate them to "legend" status (Sting, Bono, Mary J Blige, etc). The status of "legend" is reserved for those once in a generation talents and cultural icons.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:22 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,104,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Yet Adele wins big awards, near world-wide critical and popular acclaim, and her album has been #1 in the UK and US for, what, 22 WEEKS now (and topped the charts in many other countries). You may not like her music, but your personal opinion does not a legend make. Adele wouldn't be called a legend just yet, but she's well on her way at this rate and she's definitely closer to that status than Rhianna.
I don't have to like every critically acclaimed entertainer. I really don't care for Adele's style of music, nor her voice. Very boring to me. I prefer Rihanna's music. Not everybody wants to listen to serious music all the time. Sometimes you just want to listen to something that is fun, upbeat and sounds good in the club/party this is where artists like Rihanna and Nicki Minaj come into play

Old 02-28-2012, 08:24 PM

261 posts, read 355,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Which drives home a point that I have been screaming on thses boards forever!

This generation....those born in the late 80's /90's.....don't know any better. These kids grew up seeing singers NOT playing instuments. They grew up with rap artists who just talk or chant. They grew up on garage bands. They don't even know what a symphony is.... They grew up with singers using autotune and computer enhancements in the studio. They have grown up in an era where CD's and songs are churned out every 6 months. Screw quality....(Remember when Stevie took a year to write and compose?)............

That is why such a ridiculous question can even be asked about Riahanna. The generation we live in, think that this is all there is to music. They call a group of singers a "band", even if none of the members can play so much as the spoons.

A total ignorance of true talent and music.

Why are people loving on Whitney, even with the tragic ending??

It's because she didn't need to do all of this:

Whitney just had her amazing voice accompanied by real musicians playing real music !! And she belted out heart felt lyrics!! Not this sewage foul -mouth crap this no-talent hacks are doing. No gimmicks were needed.

I cry that we will never see another Michael Jackson, Earth, Wind and Fire, Stevie or Gladys again.....and another Whitney.
can't be said any better than this.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:29 PM

[quote=calipoppy;23180377]Chris Brown, Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan and Kim Kardashian.

The fact that these are the names that you list as the "successes" of today tells me all that I need to know about the faux-celeb mentality of the younger generation. Its actually a very sad commentary. Kim Kardashian? Really? How is she a "legend"? She is known for making a sex tape, dating athletes and a faux reality show. How does that make her a "legend"?

I'm in my 30s (so not old and not "young") and I can honestly say that there is a great deal of arrogance in "announcing" that one's contemporary artists are "legends". It would have been like me saying that the cast of 90210 (the original) and Vanilla Ice were legends.

Legends are not simply coronated amongst a wave of fleeting fame, its based on a body of work that is allowed to stand the test of time. A body of work that has influence, cultural impact and signifigance; transcends generational boundaries, is multidimensional.

I said they were successful, not legends. Regardless if it's from sex tapes, violence or whatever. That's another issue. If someone is making millions of dollars, have millions of fans around the world buying every product or event you put out, you are booked for appearance every week of the year, I call that successful in your industry. It's called supply and demand. I have no desire or need to even be interested in Kim K but others have clearly made her successful around the world. I don't think she has a purpose in the entertainment industry but that's just one persons opinion out of the millions that give her their money.

Mary J Blige is considered a legend in the hip hop and R&B world for sure. That's why we call her the Queen of Hip Hop and R&B. Most people that listen to that genre of music know that for a fact. I don't know what information you are using to state she isn't a legend.

I'm 32. My legends in music are Mariah Carey, Reba McEntire, Whitney Houston, Stevie Wonder, Janet and Michael Jackson, Celine Dion, LL Cool J, Mary J Blige, The Judd's. I have plenty of others but that's the short list. I have a wide diversity for music. I think my list provides singers that are proven to have made a mark on music but again those are MINE. Rihanna may one day be a 8 year old girl in Germany's legend one day. We never know what can happen and that has been proven time and time again in entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities