Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 10:53 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times

Advertisements

Ditching your father's name, from whom you are estranged, makes perfect sense, and adopting your mother's maiden name is a form of honoring her. Also, you can then make your way without it being obvious that you are the "daughter of."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 12:45 AM

160 posts, read 432,655 times
I must say that I am a little taken back at all the negativity towards Angelina. I don't think we could ever understand what it is like to be imprisoned by celebrity. In recent interviews I have found her to be humble and likeable. She is trying to make a difference in this world and has accomplished this in many ways. I for one really like her as a person and an actress.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:06 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,788,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.wilson View Post
I must say that I am a little taken back at all the negativity towards Angelina. I don't think we could ever understand what it is like to be imprisoned by celebrity. In recent interviews I have found her to be humble and likeable. She is trying to make a difference in this world and has accomplished this in many ways. I for one really like her as a person and an actress.
"imprisoned" by celebrity? Oh please.......if she and other celebs are not being followed by the paparazzi, you best believe their PR people make sure they are. She appears humble and likeable? You forget she's an actress.........she can appear to be whatever role she chooses to be in any particular situation. Although I'll be the first to say she is one of the worst actresses ever to come out of Hollywood..............IMHO

Old 03-23-2012, 07:25 PM

652 posts, read 1,052,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
"imprisoned" by celebrity? Oh please.......if she and other celebs are not being followed by the paparazzi, you best believe their PR people make sure they are. She appears humble and likeable? You forget she's an actress.........she can appear to be whatever role she chooses to be in any particular situation. Although I'll be the first to say she is one of the worst actresses ever to come out of Hollywood..............IMHO
I'd agree. She chose to be a celebrity for better or for worse.

I think that some of the dislike comes from some media outlets(like vanity fair) pushing her as some sort of icon.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Ditching your father's name, from whom you are estranged, makes perfect sense, and adopting your mother's maiden name is a form of honoring her. Also, you can then make your way without it being obvious that you are the "daughter of."
Jolie is not her mother's maiden name.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:12 PM

160 posts, read 432,655 times
How could anyone know what celebrity is like unless you were the few that lived it. Yes, I believe it is a form of imprisonment from society. So Angelina is "bad" acting when she gives interviews to bring awareness to third world countries or the Bosnia war. What have you done lately to make the world a better place?

Old 03-24-2012, 05:43 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Saw the photos of her at the award show last night. When did she develop an eating disorder? She had to have gotten an eating disorder to have gotten bone thin. Check out her figure in the movies Gia and Tomb Raider. In both, she was healthy and attractive. The photos I saw made me want to buy her a super size triple cheese burger meal out of pity. She use to be attractive. Now she looks like she's living in a Nazi death camp.
So what if you think she's too thin. Why is it acceptable to say such awful things about thin women now?

Old 03-24-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.wilson View Post
How could anyone know what celebrity is like unless you were the few that lived it. Yes, I believe it is a form of imprisonment from society. So Angelina is "bad" acting when she gives interviews to bring awareness to third world countries or the Bosnia war. What have you done lately to make the world a better place?
She's chosen that imprisonment though, both with deciding to be an actress, and making questionable choices like sleeping with a married man.

She's no innocent.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:46 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I think she's had some kind of disorder for some while. It cannot be healthy to live in the public eye for so long, even for the most well-balanced. Sad little lady.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:57 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,529,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
So what if you think she's too thin. Why is it acceptable to say such awful things about thin women now?
I think it always has been acceptable to say things about people being too thin. Not that it is right, just that it just seems to be acceptable behavior. My sister used to hear all the time about how 'skinny' she was, and she thought was a double standard, because we can't go up to big people and say, wow, you are so FAT! Angelina Jolie is thin, for sure, but if she was anorexic, I think it would be really noticable in her face because of her bone structure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities