U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 11:30 AM

2,725 posts, read 3,645,959 times

Advertisements

I heard Skeet Ulrich was calling it quits and moving back home, right before he landed his role on Jericho. He's the original killer in the movie "Scream". There was a point in his career where he was the talk of Hollywood. Then things just sort of sizzled. I guess he was heading back to where he was from when the main role in Jericho was offered to him..I also heard that about the guy from sixteen candles. He also did the movie "Vision Quest". Which sort of upset him, because Mathew Modine got the main role, whereas in real life Michael Schoeffling was a really good wrestler. But they gave the main role to Modine, who never wrestled at all. He eventually went back to Pennsylvania where he is from and did carpentry or wood working. One or the other..

This is a great question. Because many people don't realize how hard it really is to stay on top. It's no wonder it's always the same twenty so actors/ actressess who always get the roles..Hollywood isn't easy. Even when you think you've made it-you haven't..

Take Skeet for instance. When he arrived on the scene there was such a big buzz about him. He did Scream, and some smaller roles in lesser movies, but then fizzled out. He found Hollywood very tiring. You really have to have super thick skin to make it in Hollywood. You hear no, no, no, no so much that unless you have that type of ability to take it, it will ultimately effect you. Brad Pitt went seven years without being noticed. Until he drove a friend to an audition and ran into someone who was looking to fill the role of a bank robbing/ good looking guy in "Thelma and Louise". He even almost gave up. He had some small roles on Dallas, a few commercials and did a small movie that I think was called "On the wrong side of the tracks" with Ricky Shroeder..

Even Jack nickolson had many struggles. So didn't George Clooney. George Clooney did more pilots than anyone in history that never went anywhere. It was "ER" where he finally got his break.

I always thought the advantage goes to those who are from LA. EX, Leonardo Dicaprio..He started out doing commercials and playing small roles on shows like Growing pains..But the fact that he lived there (had a base) meant that he could keep on trying. It's hard to live in LA (I should know). It's much easier if you have family there. There are so many things that can sidetrack you..Although some that I have mentioned made it, ala) Jack, Leonardo, George, etc..Some of them Jack, George, etc almost gave up.,

Matt Damon is another example. Was real serious about acting. Went out there and eventually landed a role as the bad guy in the movie "School ties" with Brandon Frasier about a jewish kid in prep school. However, roles didn't come easy after that. He almost gave up. It's just such a cut throat business. It's far from glamorous as so many think..Now with all the reality shows on t.v. it has made it that much harder for serious actors to get work..

Last edited by supermanpansy; 04-12-2012 at 12:18 PM..

Old 04-12-2012, 02:57 PM

9,670 posts, read 11,006,056 times
Default Micheal Dudikoff.

the "American ninja." made like a real ninja and vanished. That guy was my idol growing up. Where are ya Mike? You owe me a Ninjutsu lesson!

Jaye Davidson-Played Ra in Stargate. Walked away from acting after "The crying game."

Old 04-12-2012, 06:42 PM

4,810 posts, read 5,354,321 times
Didn't the old movie actor, Sterling Hayden, walk away to his boat eventually....? He was fairly big in the 1950's I think. He wrote a book about his wanderings on his boat called....Wanderer..... it appears as though he dropped out occasionally. Pretty interesting guy. Older people may remember him in the Asphalt Jungle which was recently featured on TCM, as well as, other Hayden movies.

Sterling Hayden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Delores Hart starred in Where the Boys Are and other movies then, dropped out to become a Benedictine nun at age 24. She was one of Elvis Presleys flame. A very pretty woman.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:20 PM

4,995 posts, read 2,306,395 times
Funny this topic would come up, since I recently read that Renee Jones, the actress who has played Lexie Carver on Days of Our Lives for over a decade, has announced her intention to leave the show and to retire from acting. I thought at the time that it was an interesting move, since she'd not been given much to do on the show until recently...and now she's leaving.

One other such departure that I remember is Constance McCashin, the actress who played Laura on Knots Landing for seven or eight seasons. After her character was killed off, she and her movie-director husband moved to Massachusetts to raise their kids and she went to college to become a psychologist.

I think it's admirable that people can be grounded enough to quit show business and re-invent themselves, since that goes against so much of that whole "I will be a star and nothing will ever stop me" mentality.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:31 PM

5,366 posts, read 5,772,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
There are numerous celebrities who continued to, or wanted to continue, basking in the limelight. If some hadn't (and these people HAD the resources), they wouldn't have ended up in a bad way...more recently, Whitney Houston.

A few examples I can think of are Kristy McNichol, who walked away from Hollywood because of struggles with depression and anxiety. Michael Schoeffling ("Sixteen Candles") could never get roles that equaled that, so he bowed out and took up another occupation. Tina Turner has said "no more concerts."

Can you think of any others who walked away to lead a more tranquil life?
Good examples. Some didn't necessarily walk but could not find work, so they had to find work in other professions. Tina made the decision after a long and successful career.

Actually some stayed in the business but chose other fields, such as directIng and/or producing.

A few that come to mind:

Penny Marshall - directing / producing
Bill bixby - directing
Ted Wass (soap, blossom) - directing

Old 04-12-2012, 07:44 PM

5,932 posts, read 12,489,341 times
Peter Hinwood, the guy that played Rocky from The Rocky Horror Picture Show, is apparently now an antiques dealer:

"Hinwood told People magazine in 2000 that there were three reasons why he chose not to continue to milk his Horror moment. "One, I can't act. Two, I cringe with embarrassment every time I see myself on film. Three, I relish a quiet, peaceful life."

Peter Hinwood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think his first two reasons may explain why a lot of "one hit" actors quit. Maybe it became apparent that they just couldn't act and they gave up on that dream.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:48 PM

5,932 posts, read 12,489,341 times
Oh, and there's also Josh Saviano, aka the geeky kid from The Wonder Years. He's now a lawyer

Josh Saviano - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-12-2012, 07:48 PM

14,753 posts, read 25,398,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
Phoebe Cates
Debra Winger
Joaquin Phoenix
Yeah, I don't see them, and the last 2 you mention appeared to be going strong, even as of late. Do you know what became of them?

Old 04-12-2012, 07:49 PM

14,753 posts, read 25,398,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
A couple that come to mind with me is Gary Burghoff (Radar on MASH)
He was cool. How could one NOT like "Radar" amongst all those crazy characters?

Old 04-12-2012, 07:54 PM

14,792 posts, read 12,233,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Yeah, I don't see them, and the last 2 you mention appeared to be going strong, even as of late. Do you know what became of them?
He didn't go anywhere. Working with Paul Thomas Anderson... this looks good

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Master_(2012_film)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities