U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Status: "shopping, dropping--not necessarily in that order" (set 3 days ago)

3,041 posts, read 883,806 times

Advertisements

Regarding original DS: Did they broadcast live?
Quote:
It wasn't -- although they rarely did retakes
They did what was called "live to tape", where the actors performed as if it were going out live, but it was in fact taped because they often had to add in special effects. Still, it wasn't like today where it's taped a month ahead; often, they did the live-to-tape performance and it was on the air the next day. The only time they re-shot anything was if there was some catastrophic problem on set (a light falls, or the tape breaks, etc.) or if one of the actors uttered an obscenity during the performance. The obscenity card was actually played by some actors when they really tanked a scene and purposely wanted to re-do it. Anyone who watched a single episode could tell that minor problems like microphone shadows or a wobbling wall was not enough for them to re-shoot--it went into the final cut. This gives the idea that the show was done live, but if they HAD done it live, we would not have the DVDs to watch, since Dan Curtis saved those tapes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 12:43 PM

20,505 posts, read 6,202,929 times
WOW I have aged if he was 87. I used to hurry up and get home from high school just to watch that show at 4PM.

Thanks for the good memories Barnabus!

Old 04-20-2012, 01:21 PM

13,615 posts, read 8,203,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I read that Frid has a cameo role in the new movie. Was his last acting role.
I had forgotten I heard that! Oh joy, we get to see the real Barnabus again!

Old 04-20-2012, 02:15 PM

12,252 posts, read 17,087,029 times
I used to hate the Friday episode...they'd ALWAYS leave you with this major cliffhanger (in true soap opera fashion!)

Old 04-20-2012, 04:18 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,806,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Maybe one of the oldies stations will start showing reruns if the tape/film/kinescope or whatever it was recorded on still exists.
The entire series is available on DVD.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:08 PM

27,885 posts, read 22,116,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
A fellow Dark Shadows fan sent this to me this morning:

Jonathan Frid, played Barnabas Collins on 'Dark Shadows,' dead at 87 | masslive.com

He made the show what it was, and for the past 40 years since the show went off the air has interacted with fans in the most gracious manner. He will be missed.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I hadn't heard this. Wow. I ran home from school to watch this when I was a kid. Years later--1999 to be exact--I took some family leave time to care for my elderly grandmother while my mother recuperated from surgery. Nana would fall asleep again around 11 a.m., and I found that the Sci-Fi channel was running two episodes of Dark Shadows beginning at that time every day. I ended up taping the show when I went back to work!

"How are you tonight, Mr. Collins?"

"Restless."

I hope Jonathan Frid rests in peace...but maybe not...

To all of you young'uns out there who grew up on Anne Rice and Stephenie Meyer and all the other movie and TV vampires--none of them could hold a stake to Barnabas Collins!

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-20-2012 at 09:16 PM..

Old 04-20-2012, 09:32 PM

12,252 posts, read 17,087,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
none of them could hold a stake to Barnabas Collins!
Let's certainly hope not!

Old 04-21-2012, 07:48 AM

25,584 posts, read 32,355,085 times
Here's a link to a nice story about Jonathan Frid, from the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

Jonathan Frid transformed the vampire | cleveland.com

Old 04-21-2012, 06:43 PM

4,876 posts, read 5,762,774 times
Default Angelique Curses Barnabus forever...

Dark Shadows: Angelique curses Barnabas - YouTube

Old 04-22-2012, 03:29 AM

4,022 posts, read 2,767,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I think we all did.

I wanted to live in that house.
It's in Newport, R.I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities