U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:22 AM

3,804 posts, read 2,102,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Hes just a spoiled rich kid that doesnt know the proper english language. Read his twitter account & see for yourself. His father is a loud mouth & i bet the apple dont fall far from the tree. I would post this on his account but i know he will delete it or wont he ? Hmmmmm.
Go ahead and post it on his account. Be a troll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 11:32 AM

517 posts, read 352,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Hes just a spoiled rich kid that doesnt know the proper english language. Read his twitter account & see for yourself. His father is a loud mouth & i bet the apple dont fall far from the tree. I would post this on his account but i know he will delete it or wont he ? Hmmmmm.

Definition of irony right here, folks.

If people informed themselves, they'd see that it isn't taxpayer money and he isn't taking anything from anybody.

Athletic departments never take federal funds for scholarships. They want the most gifted athletes and have every right to use their private funds to pursue them regardless of what class of society the parents are in.

It's not like he's a bad student either. A Twitter account, or any social networking site for that matter, can't be used as a watermark for a student's success. That's how kids write on the internet. Let's wise up here.

I didn't hear any outcry over Michael Jordan's son taking a full ride to play basketball at UCF. Same concpet but since MJ does something more socially acceptable to whites, no arms raised in anger there, right?

Old 06-05-2012, 02:35 PM

5,559 posts, read 8,882,234 times
So what's the issue here??

-This is a pure merit/athletic scholarship, not a need based scholarship. He has to maintain a GPA of 3.75 to keep it

-Not a single penny of taxpayer money is paying for this, it's all through he UCLA athletic department

-LOTS of pro athletes have gotten such scholarships and many of them were not from low income families. Other posters here have already mentioned the Mannings.

-I think he should be commended for even going to college. How many kids of celebs try to cost on the fame of their parents and try to shoehorn themselves into Hollywood based on their parents' fame or wealth? He's getting a college education. On top of that, b/c it is a scholarship w/ strings attached, if he wants to keep it, he has to maintain his GPA, so he's less likely to goof off.

-A lot of wealthy parents do not financially support their children. And a lot of wealthy children get merit scholarships w/o this level of controversy.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:40 PM

7,339 posts, read 7,590,395 times
As puffy would say, haters gonna hate

Old 06-05-2012, 02:47 PM

4,008 posts, read 2,582,155 times
If he earned it, he should accept it and be proud.

However, I always believed that scholarships were intended for those without the means to enter college any other way?

With this in mind, (and knowing his proud daddy has more money than God) IMO the DECENT thing to do would be to request the school to award TWO scholarships this time and donate the cost of one of them.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:53 PM

10,658 posts, read 11,315,755 times
I agree. Diddy should donate the same amount of his sons scholarship to the university's general scholarship fund. Then nothing can be said..

Old 06-05-2012, 03:19 PM

15,675 posts, read 15,604,095 times
Its based on his athletic prowess. If he's that good of an athlete then give it to him.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:27 PM

8,164 posts, read 9,697,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Yep - the schools athletic department thought they would be better suited with him than without and offered to bring him in on a scholarship - he was able to meet the admission requirements of the school and academically qualify to participate in division 1 college athletics - so no issues

Quote:
However, I always believed that scholarships were intended for those without the means to enter college any other way?
Not the case at all. There are many reasons for scholarships.

Some are "need based" - however, many are need blind.

Athletic scholarship like this one are funded through the athletic department and are need blind - it's all about if it's the best use of the scholarship for the athletic department

You also have academic scholarships with are purely merit based and are also need blind

There are also scholarships for certain demographics, backgrounds, interests, etc.

Many different options for scholarships - some need blind, some need based and many blended

Quote:
With this in mind, (and knowing his proud daddy has more money than God) IMO the DECENT thing to do would be to request the school to award TWO scholarships this time and donate the cost of one of them.
This would actually be a violation of NCAA rules.

Football teams have a set number of scholarships they can give out and they are funded through the athletic departments. For schools like UCLA the football program can support itself with the help of boosters.

If his dad became too involved with boosting while his son was playing there then it could also raise a potential issue of improper benefits if that money is passed to the other teamates

Old 06-05-2012, 11:25 PM

5,559 posts, read 8,882,234 times
Quote:

I think the idea of merit/need blind scholarships pre-dates the idea of need-based scholarships. Scholarships aren't just for the poor/low income applicants.

Yeah, it would have been nice in Diddy offered up his own scholarship, but that's an issue to be taken up w/ Diddy and his son shouldn't be penalized for doing what he needed to do to succeed but being blasted by the public for his personal successes.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:26 AM

12,156 posts, read 10,661,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
I didn't hear any outcry over Michael Jordan's son taking a full ride to play basketball at UCF. Same concpet but since MJ does something more socially acceptable to whites, no arms raised in anger there, right?
You snatched the words right out of my mouth. As a UCF student I'll tell you not only was there no outcry but people lined up to see him arrive on campus, hoping to catch a glimpse of MJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities