Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should people be mad about Gwyneth tweeting the N word?
People should not be mad about this. 38 73.08%
People should be mad about this. 8 15.38%
I like the song N*ggas in Paris! 6 11.54%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 10:58 AM

455 posts, read 651,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Once again, it's our history. It's like how among other racial groups they use certain offensive words toward eachother, but no other race uses those words against them.

And hip hop =/= blacks. Don't be so simple. I'm offended that you tried to make sense of the use of the word because it's used in hip hop.
Can you give an example of racial groups using racial slurs against on another? I don't know another racial slur that is as popular as n***a given it's origin and history from the original word n****r.

Hip hop/rap music has made the word common. Like, i said a lot people that are into the hip hop/rap and urban culture use the word.

I do not since i don't listen to that garbage or follow a senseless culture.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:02 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,731,815 times
Quote:
And that's the issue right there. Jay Z and Kanye do not represent the entire black race. The word has a horrible past and shouldn't be used, but at the end of the day the word is part of our history [black history]. Just because those within our community [I don't use the word and hate it] use it doesn't mean the entire world has that right.

Jews don't stand for disrespect, homosexuals have a right to speak out against the slang "gay", but us blacks are stupid because we're offended by her using this word??? That's balanced.

You don't see us blacks throwing around the words cracker, white trash, wetbacks and more all openly and freely. Yet these words are popular among their race. The song should be banned and Gwen needs her ass kicked for that. It's funny how blacks use many different types of terminology and words yet whites love to jump on the "n" word bandwagon. This song doesn't give you an exuse to use it.

The Lynching of Jesse Washington - a photo on Flickriver

Guess what the crowd chanted and yelled as this man was dragged, hung, dismembered and burned alive???

Sorry to say but I agree 100 percent with the bold parts.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal. View Post
Can you give an example of racial groups using racial slurs against on another? I don't know another racial slur that is as popular as n***a given it's origin and history from the original word n****r.

Hip hop/rap music has made the word common. Like, i said a lot people that are into the hip hop/rap and urban culture use the word.

People say a lot of things in the world, you follow them too?

Unfortunately for us, there is this phenomenon I consider only occurs in the Black community. A Jewish person says something, it's attributed to them only. An Asian person says something, it's attributed to them only. One black person says or does something -- and suddenly we're all in agreement with it. This of course is not true, but people seem to swear by it.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
People say a lot of things in the world, you follow them too?

Unfortunately for us, there is this phenomenon I consider only occurs in the Black community. A Jewish person says something, it's attributed to them only. An Asian person says something, it's attributed to them only. One black person says or does something -- and suddenly we're all in agreement with it. This of course is not true, but people seem to swear by it.
Ok, did you read what i wrote. I don't use the word nor do i care for it.

Hip hop/rap and urban culture has transcend the word into a common word not an exclusive word. If you go to Spanish Harlem you will hear a lot of Spanish kids using the word. Several Hispanic rappers use the word.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Ok, did you read what i wrote. I don't use the word nor do i care for it.

Hip hop/rap and urban culture has transcend the word into a common word not an exclusive word. If you go to Spanish Harlem you will hear a lot of Spanish kids using the word. Several Hispanic rappers use the word.

Yes I read what you wrote. Just like in the other post here again, you are insinuating that just because some black people somewhere in the world use the word, it's acceptable now for all. So what if Spanish kids are using the word?? Is that supposed to make it 'legitimate' now and mean something?? They shouldn't be doing it either. That's the point. They would go off the wall if someone called them a (blank). As I said before people say a lot of things in this world: do you follow their lead on everything as well?? Because I don't.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Yes I read what you wrote. Just like in the other post here again, you are insinuating that just because some black people somewhere in the world use the word, it's acceptable now for all. So what if Spanish kids are using the word?? Is that supposed to make it 'legitimate' now and mean something?? They shouldn't be doing it either. That's the point. They would go off the wall if someone called them a (blank). As I said before people say a lot of things in this world: do you follow their lead on everything as well?? Because I don't.
Not only Spanish kids but white, asian ,etc. They don't see the word as a negative word; they see it as a positive word.

As I said before people say a lot of things in this world: do you follow their lead on everything as well?? Because I don't. = Why do you keep asking me this question? I don't use the word.

Anyways, humanity is a herd society. So there are instances in life where you have to follow the herd. The usage of the n word has been popularized by the hip hop/rap and urban culture.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Not only Spanish kids but white, asian ,etc. They don't see the word as a negative word; they see it as a positive word.

As I said before people say a lot of things in this world: do you follow their lead on everything as well?? Because I don't. = Why do you keep asking me this question? I don't use the word.

Anyways, humanity is a herd society. So there are instances in life where you have to follow the herd. The usage of the n word has been popularized by the hip hop/rap and urban culture.
I...DO...NOT...CARE if some spanish, black, white, asian are using the word (which btw doesn't even apply to half of them) and claim it's "positive," you don't seem to get that point. It doesn't turn the word 'positive' because somebody says it is. Maybe blacks should go around and make other racial slurs "positive' for other groups and see how well that will go over. If you haven't noticed already it hasn't happened, big surprise. . Why automatically go with the 'herd' that says it is acceptable, instead of the entire herd that says it isn't acceptable? Whatever.

I keep asking you that question because you keep repeatedly telling me about what a bunch of people in the world are doing. Now I know why you keep deferring to them "because you follow the herd." You accept something because everyone else has decided it's acceptable for you, that's sad and also your problem, good day.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I...DO...NOT...CARE if some spanish, black, white, asian are using the word (which btw doesn't even apply to half of them) and claim it's "positive," you don't seem to get that point. It doesn't turn the word 'positive' because somebody says it is. Maybe blacks should go around and make other racial slurs "positive' for other groups and see how well that will go over. If you haven't noticed already it hasn't happened, big surprise. . Why automatically go with the 'herd' that says it is acceptable, instead of the entire herd that says it isn't acceptable? Whatever.

I keep asking you that question because you keep repeatedly telling me about what a bunch of people in the world are doing. Now I know why you keep deferring to them "because you follow the herd." You accept something because everyone else has decided it's acceptable for you, that's sad and also your problem, good day.
How do i follow the herd if i don't use the word. I have been called a n*gga by Black and Hispanic people. I live in NYC. I am illustrating that kids, teens and adults who are into hip hop, rap and urban culture use the word since they don't see the negative history of it. If you're not getting that then maybe you should go to a major city and listen to the convo of some people.

Maybe Blacks should stop using the word in their music. Last time, i check no racial group owns word whether they be negative or positive.

I live and let live. If people want to use that word so be it. It does not negatively affect my life; I am not Black and words do not break my bones.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:44 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:

I already posted some words in my first response, I'm not saying them again. The point is the word is offensive and regardless of if it's being used as a term of endearment or not. It shouldn't be used.

People talk about shooting and beating others in some hip hop music. Is that ok???

Old 06-20-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I already posted some words in my first response, I'm not saying them again. The point is the word is offensive and regardless of if it's being used as a term of endearment or not. It shouldn't be used.

People talk about shooting and beating others in some hip hop music. Is that ok???
Again, i don't listen to that garbage music nor do i use the n word. What i did was list the reasons as to why it is being used today. Why gwyneth used it, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities